Double-sided tape for ceiling insualtion?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutbum

Reaction score
I need to mount some 1/2" foam insulation boards to the roof of my fan which is just painted metal and hoping to find a double-sided tape that will not come off due to the summer heat.  The insulation panels have a nice smooth closed cell foam on one side and the silver backing foil on the other and either seem smooth enough for the tape but my issue is that when the metal roof heats up alot of tape gets gets mushy and peels off.

To maintain standing height in the medium roof Transit I don't want to run battens or anything as my head barely clears so hopefully I can find a good tape solution.

Any help appreciated Thanks

I use hotglue, that never comes off with the heat. Hotglue works extremely well with metal and foam insulation. I got 6 layers of 1/2 inch rtech foam on roof with nothing but hotglue holding it. In 6 years with the temps as high as 150 degrees in the front of my van, never had any come lose. No fumes and it dries in minutes.

Double side tape, I don't use where heat is involved, it peels off eventually. Even the highly rated 3m tape which I use has its limitations.

Since it has a nice smooth white surface on one side I wasn't going to cover it with anything. Was hoping just to tape it up in key places so that I could remove it without too much damage once in a while so I could check for mold behind there as I am hyper allergic to it.

I camp where it's cold at night and my breath condenses on the cold surfaces even with some ventilation and I was going to forego insulation altogether due to all the problems others have had with the mold.  I camped in cold temps in a well insulated van and it eventually got just as cold as outside during the night anyways just took a bit longer.

I will get a Propex heater when they are back in stock to take the chill off when it get's below 35 degrees otherwise I sleep like a baby in the cold.

The hot glue sounds like a good plan I use it for tons of stuff and your right it never melts even in the hot car. So I guess you would cut the big foam boards into much smaller pieces and patch them in since it would be hard to get glue on a big sheet all at once?

Thanks for the idea.

Most double sided tape is not meant for overhead installation. You will be needing to do a lot of reading of labels and also going to the manufacturer's website and read their do's and don't concerning how to use a specific product.

For some lightweight materials you can use an adhesive but I hope you also strongly consider using mechanical fasteners if the materials you are fastening are somewhat heavy or it is a material that is difficult to install with adhesives.

For many of the construction adhesives you need to have at least one of the materials being joined be a porous surface material so that the VOC or moisture in the adhesive can escape thereby allowing the adhesive to cure. Read the installation directions on the label carefully before you buy it to try it.

Troutbum said:
Was hoping just to tape it up in key places so that I could remove it without too much damage once in a while...

Any double sided tape that allows you to separate the pieces without to much damage (especially if one side is foam) is never going to hold long enough to be even remotely tolerable.

Grant has an excellent point. 3M makes all different types of double sided tape. the make one that will work go to their website and contact them, if you have to they will walk you through it if need be. I know they make one that is good to 450°F. highdesertranger

LoveCareThinkDo said:
Any double sided tape that allows you to separate the pieces without to much damage (especially if one side is foam) is never going to hold long enough to be even remotely tolerable.
If the tape is easy to remove it won't hold strongly enough for an overhead installation. Therefore you will have wasted both time and money.

"If the tape is easy to remove it won't hold strongly enough for an overhead installation."

same thing with glue. highdesertranger

Latest posts