Van insulation in New York

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportty73

Reaction score
Good day all, John here in upstate NY, I hope this finds all happy and healthy. I starting my van build ( 09 F250) up top, insulation, lights, speakers, fan and prep for solar. I've watched most of the YT videos but little time is spent talking about how  to attach the insulation. I did see double sided tape, my question is whats the best way. Right now the plan is 1/2 inch celotex with the double sided tape to ceiling then thin ceder tongue and grove planks. Am i heading in the right direction? Your input will help greatly.

Welcome John to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I use the interior wall to hold the insulation in place there is really no need to attach the insulation to anything. well at least with ridged insulation just pinch it between the walls.

Highdesertranger

Where upstate? I spent 10 years in Rochester, and it is COLD up there. Currently I live in North Texas, and it is COLD here ... ;-)

Are you planning on using the rig upstate, or will you become a snowbird full time? That makes a big difference in insulation required.

mpruet North of Syracuse.... salmon country. I buy and sell antiques and collectibles and do antique shows. (But don\'t fish) Van is for camping in the ADK and at shows. I just picked up some of goodies to get started but ...Yes... its cold and I've got snow up to my yoo-hoo. I hope now that people have quite drinking that cool-aide we can get back to living. Happy trails and hope you all are safe and happy. Peace

highdesertranger I think im going with Refex double sided tape to the ceiling first then a layer of celotex then the ceder planking. Ive got some 2" pink board for the sides and yes pinching it will work there, even if i loose a litte space. Thanks for the welcome and i promise to be a good boy. John

Reflectix needs an air gap to do any good. If I remember correctly it's 1 inch. It is very poor insulation. Highdesertranger