Don't feed wildlife

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rats and mice distribute hantavirus in their stool, chew up car wiring.
Skunks have a very obnoxious defense mechanism, can carry rabies.
Racoons are very destructive, will chew on anything with salt, carry rabies too.
"a fed bear is a dead bear", very creative in getting into things for food.

All of them are very good scavengers.
Don't want any of them in my camp.

My cats take care of the mice thankfully.

People carry a lot of diseases too. I happen to
love all critters. I put out bird feeders too.

The only animals I feed are mosquitoes. I'm with Cammalu, enjoy seeing wildlife in camp, even bears. Need to start a thread about interesting animal encounters.

I got to see a small herd of bighorns this year out in the desert near Quartzsite.

There's an area near Wenatchee that's known for them.  I've seen them once there.

I was visiting a friend in Thompson Falls, MT one weekend.  We were driving around the valley and she goes "I want to show you something" and pulls down this dirt road, drives a little bit.  We come around a corner and there is a whole herd of bighorns.  She stops the car and they surrounded it.  It was pretty cool!

I agree that wild animals cannot be fed. This is not useful for both humans and animals themselves.

judyg said:
Imagine such a raven at an Ehrenberg or Quartzsite outdoor group meal....
I can't agree more about this information.  I'm glad you brought it up because boon-docking, or even in National or State parks that can create a problem for the animals, and the people ;(