Domicile state pros and cons

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which state for domicile ?

• Total voters
LowTech said:
Doesn't Fla charge when you bring in a vehicle from out of state? I know they use to and wasn't cheap.

I've registered two vehicles in FL in the last year, each one got a $400 "plate fee" added since I didn't have a previous FL plate.  With the 1998 RT it cost me $940 to get it on the road here.

Also, for anyone looking into ACA in FL, if you make less than $14,000 a year there is NO subsidy available.  Florida's governor decided not to accept the free money from the Fed to expand medicaid, so if you're below that income line you're screwed.

highdesertranger said:
come on ldmccain that looks like a typical NV road.  no problem.  drag it a few times and you would have a great road.  lol, I am just kidding with you.  well I am kinda of kidding that does look like a typical unimproved road.  also you can drag those roads into a passable state,  however any amount of rain over .15 of an inch will make it impassable.  I will tell you this,  that part of NV gets way hot in summer and bitterly cold and snowy in the winter.  you mentioned that there was no cell signal at most of these lots,  do you have a booster?  if you are trying to use a smart phone in NV you need a booster unless you are in town.  highdesertranger

There are places in middle Nevada where my phone will not get a usable signal. There are bars, but it is not usable. No 1XRTT, no 3G, no 4G, No Voice or Data. I think it some rural mom & pop cell provider that doesn't have roaming agreements with Verizon. The Wilson won't help. I had to drive up the highway and go over a 7K pass to get a 4G signal.

The "roads" are funny. Around Amargosa there is a grid of "streets" for subdivisions that probably died before being born back in 2008. Some actually are graded, others are imaginary, both types show up on Google Maps.

I add to the "do not buy until you visit" chorus. There was a single wide on my property, but damned if I can figure out where it was. So much for a ready to go place just add dwelling. I can see the single wide on the Google satellite stale image, but the ground has been severely disturbed since its removal. Rumors of a dead man's buried gold caches will do that. Holes here there everywhere.

There is a seasonal alkali lake on BLM land that is fun.

-Wayne

Queen said:
I've registered two vehicles in FL in the last year, each one got a $400 "plate fee" added since I didn't have a previous FL plate.  With the 1998 RT it cost me $940 to get it on the road here.

Also, for anyone looking into ACA in FL, if you make less than $14,000 a year there is NO subsidy available.  Florida's governor decided not to accept the free money from the Fed to expand medicaid, so if you're below that income line you're screwed.

Nevada charges sales tax on any vehicle brought in. Doesn't matter how long you have owned it.

wayne is your phone a smart phone? everybody I know with a smart phone has this problem in the Nevada bush. I have stood in a group of 4 people with smart phones they all have bars but their phone will not work correctly. but my old mil spec dumb phone works fine. btw we all had the same provider. highdesertranger

Update. Have a deed.
Should have a physical address in the morning.
With the physical address and deed I must go to the post office and get a mailing address.
Then I'll be updating work location and all other accounts with both physical and mailing addresses.
I did not plan for this to take 2 months.

Wandering Larry

congrats, Larry. can you share a little more info. general location, price, etc. highdesertranger

Funny:
Got my physical address via email this morning.  
Called the post office to see what I needed to do to get my mailing address:

Was told to bring a bill or mortgage statement showing my mailing address. (yes the one I don't have yet)

When I explained I bought it 4 days ago and couldn't get mail without a mailing address they said bring the email from the Planning and Zoning office and my deed to the post office to request keys.

They also asked about my "house" and that I needed to prove I was living on the property.

I am having to be very vague about my plans.
Example:  I'm living in my RV, there will not be a house built on the property.

I'm beginning to wonder when the onsite address verification police will be coming by...

Every Road Leads Home said:
Man, they sure do make you work for an address. God forbid owning land isn't enough anymore.
Owning land is not enough.
Found that out in MS.
Is the reason I came up here to buy land.
Appears the Patriot Act is rearing its head everywhere.

Wandering Larry

ef the patriot act. that is the most un American act to come down the pike. highdesertranger

Have both addresses. :)
Sometimes it is better to just work with the person at the counter.
All she asked is do you have a deed, and did they give you the physical address.
Poof a mailing address, come pick up keys Thursday.

Wandering Larry

highdesertranger said:
wayne is your phone a smart phone?  everybody I know with a smart phone has this problem in the Nevada bush.  I have stood in a group of 4 people with smart phones they all have bars but their phone will not work correctly.  but my old mil spec dumb phone works fine.  btw we all had the same provider.  highdesertranger

HDR, yes, Motorola Droid on Verizon.

There is a notification, if one thinks of drilling down to find it, that says something to the effect "a data signal is required to make voice calls." I am outside in the evening air, phone is inside charging. I believe I have mine set to never roam for data. That could cost an arm in the past. Next time I go up north I will play with my phone settings for roaming in one of those areas and post the results.

Thinking of ham radio as you mentioned about Sheriff's monitoring for emergency messages. Amargosa Valley has a Amateur Radio Club that meets monthly.

-Wayne

ldmccain said:
Funny:
Got my physical address via email this morning.  
Called the post office to see what I needed to do to get my mailing address:

Was told to bring a bill or mortgage statement showing my mailing address. (yes the one I don't have yet)

Same issue I had with no address on the RV Park rent receipt. I had to get a bank statement mailed to the RV park address. Out in the sticks, or Nevada bush, the USPS uses rural route addresses and does not use physical addresses.

UPS Surepost sometimes works and at other times get delayed a couple of days, depends on who processes the UPS Surepost drop at the post office.

Yours is really funny and bizarre, because it is the USPS, not the DMV, asking for the mail.

The movie "Brazil" comes to mind.

Shows how little thought went into the Patriot Act.

wayne49 said:
Same issue I had with no address on the RV Park rent receipt.
<snip>
Yours is really funny and bizarre, because it is the USPS, not the DMV, asking for the mail.
<snip>
Shows how little thought went into the Patriot Act.

I haven't made it to the DMV yet.  
Will be showing up with pay stub, credit card statement and Insurance Card with my new address on them.
All of these new requirements have kept me here a month already and now I have to wait until my next statements come out.  So another month possibly.

ldmccain said:
Will be showing up with pay stub, credit card statement and Insurance Card with my new address on them.
All of these new requirements have kept me here a month already and now I have to wait until my next statements come out.  So another month possibly.

When I had to jump through the "real ID" hoops here in FL, I had to provide more info to the DMV that I did to get a passport.  It's getting kind of nuts, trying to prove where you live.

Just checked with the IL folks about getting my DL and plates/title, "bring your lease and a current utility bill"  which I won't have because I just moved... but you're supposed to get a new DL within 10 days of moving.  *sigh*

ldmccain said:

Wondering:
  1. how it went for you, 
  2. if you still have the land, 
  3. if it worked out to stay on when you want, 
  4. if you would pick the same solution now...

------If you're wondering why I'm asking-------

I'm currently deciding domicile again myself, and have considered your solution (or something similar), and if buying property for domicile I have similar requirements (get my travel trailer onto it, be able to live in the RV when there, Verizon signal at a minimum.. water highly desired too, and sewer or nearby dump station even better but not necessary).

Personally I had all but decided on SD simply because they seem the most overtly accepting of people who travel and/or are nomads, so it feels more legit, especially as it seems to me that there's more and more difficulty with using PMBs these days and more requirements for physical address (which probably should be in same state and county as domicile)... 

and if it weren't for the health insurance issue I'd be heading to SD right now to get my drivers license transferred and establish the rest of the domicile... 

but alas, I am pre-medicare and it seems the ACA compliant options are have large premiums and a large deductible before covering anything but regular doctor's visits (which I don't do--just go to a dermatologist for skin cancer checks mainly, 'cause I had some basal cell in the past). I would go non-ACA compliant and just pay the fine since it's less than a single premium otherwise.. but there isn't anything that works for that either. 

So... am thinking it all through, yet again... 

Arizona is one of my favorite places so far, so was considering Nevada or even Arizona... except I do have to take money from investments in order to pay for things, so it's still income, so was thinking Nevada... There are parts of NV I like too, just not like AZ though.

Seems like it's a lot more complicated in FL to get domiciled on the up and up, and that most doing it now have a friend or relative's address to use for the physical address there. TX seems similar...

I will probably start a thread about it later too if I haven't decided soon.

JungleJanie said:
Wondering:
  1. how it went for you,
    all went well,  did take about 4 months to get all the paperwork in order for real ID
  2. if you still have the land,
    yes about to pay the 2nd years taxes.  $24.00
  3. if it worked out to stay on when you want,
    yes, there are so many independent folks in Elko County the votes are there to keep it off grid for years to come.   I've only been back twice and stayed on it about 3 months each time. ( COLD in the winter )
  4. if you would pick the same solution now...
         yes, it appears to me, to still be the cheapest legal way to get real ID and if anyone in the government checks my residency keep it.

------If you're wondering why I'm asking-------

...  water highly desired too,
     about $13,000.00 for a well on my property..  above ground tanks are allowed but you have to haul it in.  sewer required if I stay there more than 10 months a year.  There is a RV park 3 miles away ( see issues with getting to and from the property )

Personally I had all but decided on SD simply because they seem the most overtly accepting .....
If I hadn't found this land, SD was my second choice.  only had a month left to get my DL

physical address (which probably should be in same state and county as domicile)... 
:)  the DMV asks me every time if I'm sure I want my Tag stickers mailed to the PO box and not to my address. 
When it comes time to renew my DL I will place a temporary forwarding on my Physical address so it goes to my forwarder.

and if it weren't for the health insurance issue I'd be heading to SD right now ....
    Will admit I do not have insurance

...There are parts of NV I like too, .... AZ....
   Every county in both states have different rules, check each county carefully.  Even the city rules can cause issues, check carefully....

Also drive to each piece of property before buying. 

I probably looked at 30 before I found the one I have, and it is almost impossible to get to if its raining or snowing.
  Most of the folks selling inexpensive land have never seen it or attempted to drive to it

I will probably start a thread about it later too if I haven't decided soon.
Cool,  others here will have interesting input and ideas

Thanks for your update! Lots of great info.

Definitely would go to property before buying, even if primarily just for an official physical address... want to be able to at least park the RV on it and stay sometimes, so want to check out the Verizon signal in person (as asking others has not been reliable so far, even when it comes to campsites and such).

LOL, if it's almost impossible to get to if it's raining or snowing, then I'd think it's the same to get out of, which would give me pause... unless it's a really dry area most of the time and/or has clear seasons of dryness. Still... with the wonky weather these recent years I don't know how much I'd trust dry seasons.

Good to know that the off grid and living in RV if desired looks like it will last there. Have looked up lots of inexpensive places only to find out the zoning won't allow one to even camp in an RV temporarily on the property, and some not even allow parking RVs on the property. Thank goodness for things being more accessible via the internet these days so I can often look up the zoning on property areas all before even dealing with the listing agent and such. It has been fun to check out places in person when in a potential area too though. Will definitely look into Elko now too.

Once I figure out where's best for my purposes, will probably contact an agent and tell them what I'm looking for and see what they come up with... although they're often not so keen to work on the cheaper properties. Still, they can be helpful in letting one know about the local zoning in the areas, as well as where the water might be easier to drill wells or other things of the sort. Did you use agents?

JungleJanie said:
Thanks for your update! Lots of great info.

..... Verizon signal in person .....
Always a good idea :)

.....LOL, if it's almost impossible .....
yep, sorry in and out

......Did you use agents?
I did not use a purchase agent, just talked with the selling agent and Peggy at the county land office. There is some very inexpensive land that cannot get an address as it is landlocked by BLM or other issues.

Latest posts