Domicile state pros and cons

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which state for domicile ?

• Total voters
highdesertranger said:
I will say this,  unless you like cold and snow you don't want to winter in Elko County.  highdesertranger

:D    Winter = Florida, Arizona, ... then after I'm not working even further south.

ldmccain said:
:D    Winter = Florida, Arizona, ... then after I'm not working even further south.

My first thought on Elko was brrr.

Why Elko? Is I80 more central to your travels? It is somewhat halfway between the Canadian and Mexican borders.

I may have to think about expanding my area of interest and not be so AZ-NV centric. I do plan on going North in the summer.

I am going to ask at the local post office what it takes to start mail delivery to a (vacant) lot with a street address. Just a mailbox at the road?

wayne49 said:
My first thought on Elko was brrr.
Why Elko?
     less than 2000.00 an acre,  750.00 for a couple of pieces
     Is about halfway.  could park the RV there and Ride the CDT on my bike one summer.

I am going to ask at the local post office what it takes to start mail delivery to a (vacant) lot with a street address. Just a mailbox at the road?
   cool,  I'm not even wanting a mailbox, just a legal address.  
            Will get a PO Box for mail, I only get a couple of pieces a year.

ldmccain said:
Why Elko?
     less than 2000.00 an acre,  750.00 for a couple of pieces
     Is about halfway.  could park the RV there and Ride the CDT on my bike one summer.

cool,  I'm not even wanting a mailbox, just a legal address.  
            Will get a PO Box for mail, I only get a couple of pieces a year.

I just looked up Elko land and came here to say "I see why Elko!" $2,000/acre is my idea of a reasonable price.

Pahrump is full of hot money. $12K for 2.23 acres of undeveloped (not level, rolling) land reachable by slighlty bladed "streets". Very similar to the BLM "road" at Ehrenberg, except worse.

The thing about the mail to the physical address is that the Nevada DMV for RealID (at least my experience in Pahrump) requires a financial statement or government document mailed to the physical address. They will not accept any sort of PO box. Not even a rural route number box. However, the DMV will use a PO Box to mail the license.

The Nevada DMV and the USPS have to match the physical address.

I got somewhat around this, because the local USPS was willing to take stuff mailed to me at the RV park physical address, which is not in itself a place to receive mail, and place it in my rural route box in front of the RV park. The envelope had the box number handwritten on it, but the document inside had the physical address. I did not show the envelope to the DMV tech.

This is why I am a little paranoid about this domicile issue at the moment.

Elko is also somewhat halfway between Montana and Yuma; also from Elko one can head West or East easily. I drove I80 many times between Minnesota and California.

Anyway, the street address is confirmed by the local town planner and with any vacant lot one should check the Parcel Number with the planner to get the legal street address. The listing could have what someone thinks is the address.

Thanks.

You might also check into whether the local post office (where you might buy land) will "hold" your mail for you on a sort of permanent basis. When you vacation, you can have your mail held at the post office and pick it all up upon your return. If you explain you are a full-time RVer who only occasionally passes through town, would they keep your mail at the P.O. for you to pick up? (no need for a rural mailbox on the street if they will)

Update for Elko County.
I called and talked with Peggy in the assessors office.
To get an address in an area they have already mapped out.
     Call with the APN: # and make sure it is mapped and can be addressed.
     Purchase lot, call again with the intent to build eventually, to get address.
     If on a corner lot make sure you have determined which street your building will face.
For addresses in areas they haven't mapped out.
     There are a lot of acres for sale in Elko County with no legal access. (landlocked)
     Call with the APN: # and make sure you can get to the property before purchasing.
     They cannot give an address for property you cannot drive to.

She did state it is different for each county and sometimes even for different lots, call the appropriate assessors office with the APN: to get rules and restrictions.

I would say for any lot / parcel you are looking at purchasing anywhere in NV call the assessor with the APN: to make sure: 1: you can legally get to it; and 2: construction or other requirements for an address.  Some assessors will just ask if you intend to build in the future and give you an address. Some will want a building permit.
All in all somewhat easer than MS, still some work.

Pity NV isn't where KS is, right smack in the middle.  ;-)

Additional Info:
State of Nevada Vehicle Registration Fee Estimation
https://dmvapp.nv.gov/dmv/vr/vr_estimate/vrestimationinput.aspx

akrvbob said:
But, if you consider it's right smack dab in the middle of the only states that are important--west of the Rockies--it's the perfect place to establish a residence.
Bob

:D   There are a lot of things to see and do over there. 
Want to see some of the Eastern seacoast as well. 

Don't want to get just an address now then have issues in 14 years when I start drawing my retirement. 
Guess after the RTR I'll stick around a couple of weeks then ease north to check out some land on my way to Moab. 
Thinking I'm just gonna be cold on this trip.

howdy,  while being born and raised in texas i must give south dakota my vote.  iv'e owned two very modest homes in the same town in turner county in the s.e. corner of the state.   my drvr. lic, car tags,and car ins. were way less than texas.   also as late as 2007 there was no vehicle inspection required to register your vehicles.  however in turner county i had to show a bill of sale and pay the difference between what the taxes were in texas as compared to s.d.  so........ i just called hutchinson county  605-387-4213 their taxes are 4%,  if the vehicle is over 10 yrs. old and n.a.d.a. is $2,200.00 or less there is no tax to pay   freeman s.d. has a small city camp ground @ $10.00 per night when it's open in the good weather, the lady said check back in april.............and now i want to move back to s.d. but old arthur ritis says no, he is such a grinch and a nag and a pain every where except in the butt...thanks to the powers that be!        good luck and happy trails from txjaybird and queenie  [ who is a rottweiler stuck in a chijuajuas'  body!]

ARIZONA is my choice. Just walked into the DMV and gave them my drivers license and they gave me one for Arizona. Gave them the paperwork on my van and they gave me plates. Accepted my PMB number (personal mail box), which is in Ehrenberg, AZ and that was that. Also Arizona immediately started paying my Medicare premium after applying online. In Arizona you can go from 600 feet below sea level to 8 thousand feet above. A person really doesn't need to leave the state to live in the BEAUTIFUL SOUTHWEST with no problems....
Desert for the Winter and beautiful forests for the Summer!!!!!!!!

North Carolina, family address. Every time I visit for the holidays I get inspected and reregistered.

Update and warning:   

I picked a lot while in MS and figured as close to town as it was I would just drive up here to Elko, NV, park on it and buy it.   How wrong I was.  The lot showed several more miles down this....
13432245_10206827693750787_3574949071512053776_n.jpg
And that gravel track doesn't connect to another road anymore.  It just hangs a left and stops.

Do not purchase property without driving to it first.  

Road is a very loose term for realtors and GPS.
13438799_10206862385658063_2655538247998818053_n.jpg13529034_10206862385898069_553102568123563840_n.jpg13524399_10206842570522697_1928440636126658867_n.jpg

So off to a RV park...  Elko RV park at Ryndon 
$380 a month with water and shade.  Ele extra

And after work for the last 2 weeks I've looked at all these lots.
map.jpg

Of these only 3 I could drive my RV to, out of those only 1 had good cell service.

Attachments

• 13438799_10206862385658063_2655538247998818053_n.jpg
    13438799_10206862385658063_2655538247998818053_n.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 13529034_10206862385898069_553102568123563840_n.jpg
    13529034_10206862385898069_553102568123563840_n.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 13524399_10206842570522697_1928440636126658867_n.jpg
    13524399_10206842570522697_1928440636126658867_n.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 13432245_10206827693750787_3574949071512053776_n.jpg
    13432245_10206827693750787_3574949071512053776_n.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 16
  • map.jpg
    map.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 14
I do know I am limiting myself by requiring I can get the RV to the lot and wanting good cell service...
Many of these lots would be just fine for only acquiring an address..
I have also limited myself with a max price of $3000.00

These 2 limits are keeping me from even looking at 10 - 40 acre lots..

We chose South Dakota as our domicile two years ago.

Since we still work while full timing, the lack of State Income Taxes started the ball rolling, but the significantly lower vehicle insurance rates (compared to Arizona) sealed the deal. Also, no vehicle emissions testing, and you need to spend one night in the state in order to qualify for the DMV. Chose the right county, and you'll see no 'wheel tax' either. We use Americas Mailbox (Pennington County) for mail forwarding, and with respect to Financial Institutions' physical address requirements: no mail ever gets delivered to the physical address. Using Wells Fargo as an example, all debit cards, credit cards, PIN Number changes go to the Mailing Address (complete with PMB#). Everything else arrives via email. Any Pension Checks, Annuity checks, Dividend checks, etc. arrive either via Direct Deposit or (once again) make their way to the Mailing Address. The 'Physical Address' is treated like any other Government Requirement: Box Checked. Good to go.

And, for the physical address: you don't need to own it.

As for other 'Governmental' Items which one might think require a physical address (Social Security comes to mind). Should you ever need a new Social Security Card, you can order it online and pick it up at whatever Social Security Office suits you. We did exactly that. Ordered in Arizona; picked it up in Sherwood, Arkansas. Our Passport renewals went straight to Americas Mailbox while we were located in South Carolina.

HTH

Todd

come on ldmccain that looks like a typical NV road. no problem. drag it a few times and you would have a great road. lol, I am just kidding with you. well I am kinda of kidding that does look like a typical unimproved road. also you can drag those roads into a passable state, however any amount of rain over .15 of an inch will make it impassable. I will tell you this, that part of NV gets way hot in summer and bitterly cold and snowy in the winter. you mentioned that there was no cell signal at most of these lots, do you have a booster? if you are trying to use a smart phone in NV you need a booster unless you are in town. highdesertranger

hdr.
I have discovered these are regular roads for here. :)
Need a least a bar for the booster to get me enough signal so I can work.
Just sent off the mailing address for the Realtor to send all the paper work for a lot... 1.47 acres $1900.00.
Talked with the county and must get a permit to fix the road so I can drive to my lot. As it is a county road permit is free, but I must have it.
Not sure I'm even going to fix it this year.

tah
I do really need the physical address as financial institutions are now being required to verify it. Government control is only going to increase over the next 13 years.
I keep finding stories on the Good Sam and Escapees forums where retires are beginning to have trouble getting money out of their retirement funds.

Wandering Larry

Spaceman Spiff

Yes there are several apps and I use them. 
I also have a booster and even with some signal, I have to use it to get the data connection up to a speed where I can work.
Making calls it not the issue, I must have a minimum data speed connection in order to work.
This has been causing me to some issues boon docking over the past year, but has not stopped me.

Thank you for the link may it help others reading this thread that only need their phone and phone data in remote locations.

Larry

ToddandHeather

Sorry about my reply yesterday.  
We are all different and I understand many do not feel the need to own their address.
I feel the need to own (rent from the government) my physical address.

As big data is refined and mined I feel it will make some algorithm happy and reduce the instances my number is thrown into a pool to for more research.  While it will only reduce the instances as purchase habits and locations will cause other algorithms to still kick my number out..
Working for a company that tracks and mines customer data has made me much more aware of just how much is collected and tracked.  

Larry

I went with South Dakota

Medical Insurance: I have none. I'll be on medicare in nine months
Title and Tag costs: super cheap
Car Insurance: cheap
Inspections: none of any kind, ever

Residency is just a matter of paying for one night's lodging somewhere in the state and signing a (meaningless) pledge to someday return to the state.