Domicile state pros and cons

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which state for domicile ?

• Total voters
1. I choose Florida because there is no emissions checks when registering vehicles
2. Vehicle registration is painless on other levels since I easily have a physical mailing address with parents living in Florida as well as a brother and sister (though a physical address isn't necessary, just makes things easier).
3. The lack of state income tax also influences my decision.
4. I plan to winter in south Florida.

Doesn't Fla charge when you bring in a vehicle from out of state? I know they use to and wasn't cheap.

LowTech said:
Doesn't Fla charge when you bring in a vehicle from out of state? I know they use to and wasn't cheap.

Florida use to charge impact fee but did away with it.

I am going with UPS store address in Florida before end of the year.  Hope it want effect my Florida Concealed Weapon permit.  I just renewed so am good for 7 years anyway I guess.  Also just got my new passport. If I had renewed my expired passport one month earlier would have saved some money.  

Trying to get everything before the property address is gone.

LowTech said:

There is a slightly higher tax to pay when a registering vehicle that was purchased in a different state, but I'm talking about $20 extra if that, just depends on cost of the vehicle. When you compare that to emissions checks $ and the funds to get your vehicle to pass that check, the extra tax is minor especially since it's a one-time extra tax. At the most, Florida DOT checks your blinkers and break lights. For that matter, Alabama doesn't have emissions check either. They just want to look at an insurance card - they won't even double check that the insurance card is on the up and up. Just want to lay eyes on it.

A SEEKER said:
Florida use to charge impact fee but did away with it.
That's good to know. One less fee for when I actually register my Florida-purchased van. PO was nice enough (or dumb enough) to leave the purchase date blank so that my 30 day grace period for getting it registered and tagged can begin at any point. Now, when I'm done in Alabama, it'll be that much cheaper to be a Florida resident again. Note: another advantage of Florida/Alabama, 30-day grace period rather than getting a temp tag.

wayne49 said:
Yes, I have observed this with my financial firms. The requirement of a physical address is becoming a standard for every transaction.

Since I have no phsical address the SSA declared me "homeless". I used a UPS Store for my mail, the county election board wouldn't recognize the UPS store as a residential address for voting purposes. A homeless person has to declare a place where they spend the most time.

It looks like the powers that be want to be able to know where each individual is physically located.

This will stop drug crime, financial crime, and terrorism, doncha know.

I am thinking of investigating the minimum requirements to have a USPS mail address on piece of land. Of course, then there is property taxes to be paid to the county. Utilities, etc.

Homeless. Sure. With more and more baby boomers retiring and hitting the road, I wish Uncle Sam lotsa luck with that.

We use a family member's physical address in Florida. As long as we have all our insurance payments and banking online, it works. When they retire or move somewhere else, our address will, too, I guess. It has worked. We will come back to this area every couple winters, anyway, to see family and get any major medical or dental work done. Personally, I prefer AZ. Our Medicare and pension insurance is portable. My allergies are bad in FL and we both get constant sinus pressure headaches, here.

I have no problem with income taxes. Sales taxes are almost everywhere. But I found my insurance was a lot more dollars if I used my daughters address in Fla. Also, my son in law paid Fla over $500 just to get tags for his old Toyota pickup. Point is, income taxes are not that much at the state level, other expenses need to be considered.

ccbreder said:
I have no problem with income taxes.  Sales taxes are almost everywhere.  But I found my insurance was a lot more dollars if I used my daughters address in Fla.  Also, my son in law paid Fla over $500 just to get tags for his old Toyota pickup.  Point is, income taxes are not that much at the state level, other expenses need to be considered.

Yeah, if you're bringing a previously out-of-state vehicle into Florida registration is more. Mine was bought in Florida, therefore I'm not changing states with it registration, so there is no extra expense.

The pickup truck was registered in Florida, son in law needed his own tag for the truck, it cost him over $500 the first year, to get a registration and new tag. He will also have to pay each year, a lower amount, but still $500 to start out.

It appears as though many states with a large population find methods to catch the dollars of people  that want to employ motor vehicles.

ccbreder said:
The pickup truck was registered in Florida, son in law needed his own tag for the truck, it cost him over $500 the first year, to get a registration and new tag. He will also have to pay each year, a lower amount, but still $500 to start out.

Wow, I had no idea. Is it a late model?

I'm going to use S.D. But the taxes matter for me for the first year of vandwelling since I'll still be working and that will make a big $ difference.

ccbreder said:

Are you sure that wasn't mostly sales tax?  Here in NY, anytime a vehicle's title is transferred, the state expects sales tax from the new owner.

Regards
John

I may be wrong so don't rely on this as a rule.

I was under the impression that if you already paid sales tax on a vehicle in one state and move to another state with a higher tax rate , you only were required to pay the difference...

Update:    
With all of the requirements for Real ID and what I've now seen with investment company issues, I've started looking for an acre of land in FL, SD and NV.
I don't want to have any issues with my 401k s or my pension.

Clarification of my statement on taxes being null:  
     All of the states I'm looking at have 0% income tax (currently paying 5%)
     Sales tax in all of the states are within 1.5% of where I am now and I didn't intend to stay there year-round.
     Tags should balance out fairly close, with 5 vehicles some will go up some down.
     Insurance should be the same way, some up some down.

So far Nevada is winning the land price race. 
I will be emailing a couple of Realtors this week with the question:
     "What is required to have a physical address for property listing xxxxxxx ?".

Ah, and I have a buyer willing to pay what my amortization chart shows as payoff for this house in June.
:angel:  I don't owe half what the chart shows  (evil grin)

rvpopeye said:
I may be wrong so don't rely on this as a rule.

I was under the impression that if you already paid sales tax on a vehicle in one state and move to another state with a higher tax rate , you only were required to pay the difference...

I interpreted the statement that the truck was already registered in FL, but the son in law needed his own tags as implying title was transferred to the son in law.  In NY, that would be treated as another sale which would trigger new sales taxes.

If it was claimed to be a "gift", they would still tax it at "fair market value".

They don't call this state the Land of Taxes for nothing . . .

Regards
John

I just gave our son my old work beater Yukon XL.  We live in Texas.  On the additional form that must be filled out in addition to signing the title, there are several check boxes.  One of the boxes is "Gift" and will cost my son the large sum of $10 (no missing 0's).  This coveres the sales tax aspect, he will still be liable for the registration.

ldmccain said:
So far Nevada is winning the land price race. 
I will be emailing a couple of Realtors this week with the question:
     "What is required to have a physical address for property listing xxxxxxx ?".

Hi Larry,

I have the same idea about NV.

It may vary by county codes. Pahrump is in Nye county.

There are some cheap pieces of land around Pahrump.

Would you please post the answers?

Thanks,
Wayne

wayne49 said:
Hi Larry,

I have the same idea about NV.

It may vary by county codes. Pahrump is in Nye county.

There are some cheap pieces of land around Pahrump.

Would you please post the answers?

Thanks,
Wayne
Certainly,  I am looking in Elko county, but will ask about Nye county.

I will say this, unless you like cold and snow you don't want to winter in Elko County. highdesertranger