domicile address for Dane

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
Hi :)
I come to America with a suitcase and nothing else. I own nothing in Denmark and will spend my time with you to learn to know the country and be 0-off. I need an address to receive packages for things I buy online and for registration of vehicle and so on. I want to receive disability check from Denmark and pay taxes there, but if I get a little work on the road, I'll probably pay taxes to the US? . So it is surely important to know what state I should have address in? also if I choose to be expatriate Dane because the USA is so beautiful as expected and I choose to stay.

Is there any Danes who can guide me? Or others who know something?

First choose a region east midwest or west/left coast find a central location I can recommend Pahrump Nevada on the west coast. It can be a huge pain and expense to drive all over hell to get a letter or needed package defeating the whole concept. That Amazon deal turns into a deal breaker.

Finding an address to use is the easy part.

You could use Escapees in Texas or you can use some place like this in Florida:  https://www.sbimailservice.com/

Anticipating being able to stay longer than the 6 month visitor visa will probably prove to be a little disheartening. 

Years ago it was easy to overstay a visitor visa, there was little to no tracking etc. Today, however it is a different story. Even as a Canadian who crosses the border at land crossings by car, both the Canadian and the US government have a permanent record now of each and every time I cross the border and know to the minute how long I have stayed.

And as to working while in the country on a visitor visa...I really hate to be a naysayer but you really don't want to do it IMO. First off to even set up at most markets or craft shows you must have proof of a tax license these days. To get a tax license you have to have a social security number. To get one of those you have to have proof of eligibility to have one. You can see where I'm going with this.

If you really want to be able to continue to live in the US after your six month visitor visa is up, you should really consider investigating now the procedures for immigrating to the US. I'm not sure what the rules are for a Dane but for me as a Canadian they proved to be insurmountable. And if you do find a way it usually has to be done from your country of origin not while  you are already living in the US. Unless of course, you end up marrying an American... :D

I am not sure how long your visa is for but you will need to leave then or apply well in advance for an extended visa.

You probably should contact a consulate to get the FACTUAL information you need. Google University has been known to be full of misconceptions.

Enjoy your stay, the US is a beautiful country indeed!

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

A tourist visa is not authorized for employment. If you overstay your visa, or if you violate the visa conditions by working, you'll be getting yourself and the person who hired you into trouble. Working "under the table" for cash is especially risky -- poor working conditions, not getting paid, etc.

US immigration will question you closely when you arrive to make sure you have a return ticket, the financial means to support yourself while in the US, and a life to go back to in DK. They can and will refuse admission if they think you might overstay your visa or plan to take up residence here. That means you'll be on the next flight home, and you may be barred from re-entering the US in the future. Immigration officers have virtually absolute authority to refuse entry. If you are not a US citizen or legal resident, you have no specific right to enter the country if the immigration officer decides not to let you in.

To receive letters and packages, use "General Delivery" at a post office near where you're staying as follows:

Maxine Tourist (your real name goes here)
General Delivery
Beverly Hills, CA 90210 (always include the zip code so it goes to the right post office)

BEFORE buying and registering a vehicle, check with the Department of Motor Vehicles for the state where you're staying for requirements. Note that buying a vehicle will make it look like you're planning to stay in the US in violation of your tourist visa. Some states are OK with this, others are not. Do your research.

Vehicle liability insurance is MANDATORY. Do NOT drive without insurance, do NOT drive when under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and do NOT leave the scene of an accident. To get insurance, you're probably going to need a valid driver's license for your state, and will likely have to take the full driver exam including road test. Some states require you to be a US citizen or legal resident to get a driver's license, others do not.

As others have said, visit a US consulate in Denmark before making travel plans to the US. The US has strict immigration controls, and the public attitude towards illegal immigration is growing more and more hostile.

If you plan or hope to stay in the United States there are several things to be concerned with, more than most people here can help you with.  Some of our Canadian members can probably help there.  Just looking at drivers license, here are a couple of links.

With your Danish license:
Driving in the U.S. 

Foreign Driver's Licenses Motorists visiting the United States from countries that have ratified the Convention on Road Traffic (the Convention has been ratified by Denmark), may use their own valid driver licenses to drive in the United States. Visitors who intend to rent an automobile in the United States are advised to obtain an International Driving License prior to their departure from Denmark. An international license can be useful in connection with renting a car or in emergencies such as traffic violations or auto accidents, particularly when a foreign language is involved.

International driving licenses are issued by the Citizen Service Center, "Borgerservicecenter "and must be obtained prior to departure for the United States. For more information, please contact your local Kommune / Borgerservicecenter.

Motorists from Denmark who visit the United States as bona fide tourists, can drive legally using their valid domestic driver license for a period not to exceed one year from date of arrival. Persons entering the United States, other than visitors, must obtain a driving license from the appropriate state authority upon their arrival at their destination. The Embassy does not have any information available concerning the laws of the various States on the requirements for issuance of driving licenses.

As an example of what it takes to get a Tennessee drivers license.

Required Documents

Required Documents

PLEASE NOTE: All documents are subject to verification with the issuing agency or source. Documents subject to verification may delay the issuance of your permit, driver license or identification only license.

No photocopies will be accepted!

Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident Status or Proof of authorized stay in the United States
Primary Proof of Identity
Secondary Proof of Identity
Proof of any Name Changes if Different than name on Primary ID
Two Proofs of Tennessee Residency with your name and resident address - NO P.O. BOXES (Documents must be current. Must be dated within last 4 months.)
A Social Security Number or sworn affidavit if no Social Security number has been issued.
- See more at: https://www.tn.gov/safety/section/dlmain#documents
Proof of Citizenship/Lawful Permanent Residency

PLEASE NOTE: All documents are subject to further verification with the issuing agency or source. Documents subject to verification may delay the issuance of your permit, driver license, identification only license, temporary driver license or temporary identification license.

No photocopies will be accepted!

Acceptable Documents for U.S. Citizenship

Official Birth Certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Swain's Island, Guam)
IMPORTANT: Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will not be recognized as proof of Lawful U.S. Citizenship beginning November 1, 2010.
The government of Puerto Rico has provided information for citizens to apply for new birth certificates.
U.S. Government-issued Certified Birth Certificate
U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)
Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S. (FS-240)
Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
Certificate of Citizenship (N560 or N561)
Certificate of Naturalization (N550, N570 or N578)
U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197, I-179)

Acceptable Documents for Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551)
Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the holder has been "Processed for I-551"
Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)
Arrival Departure Form I-94 with “Temporary I-551” stamp and holder’s photograph affixed
Travel Document issued to Permanent Residents (I-327)
Travel Document issued to Refugees (I-571)
Form I-94 stamped  with one of the following statuses:  Asylee, Parolee or Parole, Refugee, Asylum, HP-humanitarian parolee or PIP-public interest parolee
- See more at: https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/dlcitizen#sthash.fXm1F8gO.dpuf

These people can give you the best advice.

US Embassy

Immigrant Visa-related Services Offered in Copenhagen

All immigrant visa and diversity visa interviews and adjudications for residents of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden take place at the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm

For general information on immigrant visas and immigrant visa processing, we refer to the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm.

Hello Maxime,

I really respect your desire to come to the US and travel for a while. It is a wonderful country with a lot to offer. I'm quite certain it will all work out for you but if for some reason your dream has to change, don't lose your wanderlust. Keep in mind that Europe has a lot to offer too. Many of us dream of being able to van dwell in Europe. This too would be a wonderful experience and a hell of a good plan B if plan A doesn't happened. Just my 2 cents :)

Maxine said:
Hi :)
I come to America with a suitcase and nothing else. I own nothing in Denmark and will spend my time with you to learn to know the country and be 0-off. I need an address to receive packages for things I buy online and for registration of vehicle and so on. I want to receive disability check from Denmark and pay taxes there, but if I get a little work on the road, I'll probably pay taxes to the US? . So it is surely important to know what state I should have address in? also if I choose to be expatriate Dane because the USA is so beautiful as expected and I choose to stay.

Is there any Danes who can guide me? Or others who know something?

Try this as a possible help:: https://www.sbimailservice.com/travelers-special.htm