Dometic Pahrump Repair/Replace

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnFear

Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently in Pahrump NV. I have a 2002 Roadtrek 190. My Dometic #2353 isn't working in gas mode. 
I'm looking for a shop that can fix it or replace it quickly. I can take it anywhere between Pahrump and say Yuma.
Anyone have a place to recommend?

The fridge works well on 120v. It wasn't working well on gas. I changed the burner and gas orifice and now it doesn't work in gas mode at all  :s

Be sure to have them check the recalls. I believe there was a safety recall on many of the RV units because of fires. Mine used to give me lots of problems until I had an improved aftermarket control board installed.

Thanks, are you giving general information or do you have information about the replacement units for 2002 Roadtrek 190's, Dometic #2353?

I have a 2353 in my Roadtrek too. When I got it the gas flame for the fridge was burning yellow. I took a brush to the burner and adjusted the air orifice on the side of the tube going from the gas orifice to get it to burn blue. I haven't had to adjust it since no matter what altitude I have been at. I do occasionally have to clean the burner of debris that falls from the flue though. If the gas flows when holding the inside button, it might be as simple as adjusting the air orifice.

This guy is well thought of according to Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/rod-paulson-pahrump-3

Good luck.

Thanks B&C. I'm guessing things must be a little different on the 200. On the 190 there's no way to see the flame without pulling the fridge forward into the aisle. I did that and replaced the burner and orifice.
I'm by myself so I can't hold the gas start to even see if it's getting gas or tell if I'm getting spark.
Obviously I disturbed something while replacing the burner. Anyway I really just want to pay someone to either fix it or replace it at this point.

Sorry, just noticed your link to Rod Paulson. Going to head there now,thanks.

I haven't seen a Roadtrek that did not have outside access.  Right on the other side of the fridge should be a big vented panel that comes off with a simple twist of the cam locks.  They look like this: 

Fridge vent.jpg

Attachments

• Fridge vent.jpg
    Fridge vent.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 2
Yeah it has that but the fridge is offset to the right looking from the outside

Ouch. Yep, that would make it difficult to get to the burner. The wiring should be well exposed there then. Make sure there are no wiring breaks and be sure to look at your fuse panel to see if a fuse is blown. That would cause it to stop working also.

I just looked online at the outside of one like yours. Doesn't seem to be any room to the right of the vent (from the outside) as the hot water heater is there. Just an observation.

Well it's working on 120v. Anyway I believe the 2353 doesn't need 12v to work in gas mode.
There's a lot I can check I really just want someone else to fix it. I've been fixing things all my life.
Going to try the guy you linked. If he can't do it today I'll fix it myself.
Same problem with my bikes. either can't find someone to fix it or I have to refix it after they work on it.
Sorry for venting. What ever happened to competent people working for money. Just frustrated.
Thanks for the link.

No, water heater is on the other side.
I have the Dodge 190

It does need 12V to work. That is what runs the circuit board and holds open the gas valve. 120V bypasses it all.

You must have a 2002 Roadtrek 190 Versatile and not the Popular. They built more Populars.

It was just general info. I believe the circuit boards were "Dinosoar" products. I don't have the information anymore but I believe Dometic was required to post a list of model numbers that were affected on their website. There is a company ARP that has been involved with the aftermarket fixes but I have never dealt with them at www.arprv.com 406-494-1959. They may be able to help you.

I do have a Roadtrek 190 Popular.
The Dometic 2353 doesn't have a circuit board.
I drove out to the place linked above, it's a welding shop. The owner doe's side work on Rv's. He doesn't have any experience with Roadtreks or Dometic refrigerators. That means he has to figure it out from scratch at $90 an hour and he has no inventory of parts or a replacement.
I'm trying to not do the work myself. It's painful and I can afford to pay someone to do it.
I'm trying to avoid getting a new model because they do need 12 volts to run in gas mode but I would do that if a place has one in stock and they can do the job in one day.
Thanks for the help and if anyone knows of a place between Pahrump and Yuma that specializes in Dometic refrigerators please let me know.
I've already looked on the Dometic website and it's not helpful. I'm posting this here in hopes that someone has some personal knowledge of a place to go.
Thanks again :)

Well, I guess the people posting pictures have them backwards. The Versatile I looked at had the heater on the passenger side with the fridge offset to the window on the drivers side. Moot point anyway.

I guess that is all the troubleshooting I can do over the net. Hopefully the shop referred you somewhere there in town. Good luck.

Hey B&C, I appreciate the help. Yeah, it looks like there's no place that can help me in Pahrump. I'm heading to Quartzsite Thursday morning so I have five days here to try and get the fridge fixed. Obviously that includes two weekend days and one and a half holidays, so not going to happen.
I didn't mean to come across as curt. I'm frustrated with my inability to do the work myself because I have arthritis. I put the work off for months because the fridge worked, just not well on gas. Then when I finally pulled the fridge into the aisle and changed the parts I thought were causing the problem and that caused it not to work at all on gas my frustration grew ;)
I understand this forum is more general for people living in vehicles (I did check more specific forums) so It was just a shot in the dark to ask here.
Bottom line is it's not even that big a deal. It will get fixed or replaced. I plan on heading to the RTR and wanted to cook and put up some food ahead of time. C'est la vie.
Again, thanks to everyone who posted here. I understand everyone tried to help :)
As to the Versatile or Popular I have no Idea. Seems like Roadtrek changed things around a lot.
Meet me at the RTR and I'll show you that my vent access doesn't allow you to see the flame and the water heater is on the opposite side (passenger) from the fridge.
As an aside; my son pointed out a few years ago that calling a water heater a "hot water heater" doesn't make sense. I was once a HVAC engineer, I had to agree :)
Finally, I could still use recommendations for a Dometic/Roadtrek mechanic between Pahrump and Yuma. Thank you :)

my thought on this is if it needs replacing, I would replace it with a 12v compressor refrigerator. highdesertranger

I thought of that. For my use I don't think it will work.
I live in the Roadtrek and pull a small enclosed trailer (my garage) that has my bike.
I like the fact of having a fridge that needs no electric. It's not just boondocking were I can deploy solar (suitcase), run the gen or drive. I like that I can leave the van for weeks, take the bike and have the fridge just as I left it. Kinda S&B thinking I suppose but I have my preference.
I've never had a problem with my 12v side and I could do it that way but for me I like redundancy.
More accurately separating the different systems of the van were possible.
If I go compressor I'm thinking of that truck thing. Any better ideas?