Domestic travel potentially curtailed/forbidden?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, how do you decide what you are being told is true? Regardless of who is doing the telling. I think it boils down to people believing what they want to believe.

barleyguy said:
Word of mouth, friends and family, your local community. That's where you should get your information, and guide what's important to you. Also, individuals on the internet and YouTube giving their individual experiences, not people with a corporate agenda.

I do want to point out that 22,000 is 0.007% of 330 million. I agree with using common sense, avoiding large indoor gatherings (which there aren't any), wash your hands, and make good logical decisions. But I don't recommend buying into the fear and hysteria, and I still think this whole situation (and the world in general) would be better if people would quit watching the news.

Apparently, you never played the childhood game known as "Gossip" or "Telephone".

There probably are people deliberately lying and/or delivering inflammatory remarks for who-knows-what-reason. I think those people are probably few and far-between. The only defense against them is more information, not less.

Yes, lots of what we hear and read is packed full of drama.  How do you know facts?

Listen for certain words, words like "if", "opinion", "I think", "I heard someone say".  Really listen!  Is that person being paid for their statements?  Are they smiling while they talk their smack?  Does your heart speed up or your chest tighten or your excitement level skyrocket?  Pay attention.

Someone was quoted as saying millions in the US will die.  He had no proof for that.  It sounded so outrageous, I had to laugh.  Who is this guy?  Some professor at some university?  That means nothing to me as I ponder a couple of the professors I have had.

Stay calm and stay home!  If you stay home, you will not get sick (this time around) nor will anybody else with whom you come in contact.  Nor will millions die.  Every time you go anyplace where there are other people, you are contributing to this pandemic.

Filter everything you hear and read.  Or...just stay home if it is at all possible.  And by "home", I mean whatever you call home, van, car, trailer, RV, or anything else.

And as for newspaper, Thank You for that idea!  I hadn't thought of that and I have been saving newspaper for months as fire starter!

Just an update. #2 son thought he was done with it, but it hit him again today with overwhelming fatigue to where he's stuck in bed again.  He's on day 10. Aft least the cough is no longer awful.

We went to Home Depot in Las Cruces  today. It was kinda slow. Lowe's was busy.  It's a pain to go out with the clean precautions.  I'm a neurotic RN, so I do the whole shmear-gloves, mask and alcohol in a spray bottle on the hands and cart and anything else we touch.  But neither of us can afford to get sick with our comorbidities.  Neither one of us would get a ventilator when push comes to shove.  That's where people will die.  Many of the deaths are preventable- as long as the sickest can get an ICU bed and ventilator.  They'll be on very short supply within a couple of weeks.

I'd rather not find out. So we're still hanging out in the trailer in rural New Mexico.
Ted

Olympic National Park in Washington state is now closed to camping as are all the Washington state parks.

Because of Social Distancing regulations in Washington all of the Elks clubs are closed which is likely also closing all of their camping sites. But that should be checked on a facility by facility basis as some of them were situations of being able to park in their lot overnight rather than having an actual campground with restrooms and hookups. Even a place to park for just one night will be important for travel in the Nomadic community.

Too many people are panicking. Because I got sick: bad upper respiratory problems, severe congestion which I couldn’t bring up, bad body aches and pains, all of which I treated with OTC meds and sleep which worked. I have been paying attention to the fact that many people may have a mild form of this virus and most who get it survive. In Britain today they said a huge number of people tested have not gotten sick.

I always joke that I never get colds and flu just serious stuff like cancer. Haven’t had a cold or flu for 25 years until now. Then to top it off I got a bad stomach bug of just severe nausea, vomiting and body aches. Today is the best I have felt in two weeks.

I have 3 autoimmune conditions but a strong immune system (I have a theory that autoimmune illness because your immune system is in overdrive it seems to protect me from colds and flu) So I’m not in a panic about this.
Oh and I keep my hands super clean and keep a distance. The only thing it could be is not wiping down food packaging.

FWIW, at this time of the year, it's probably likely that most of us who have respiratory symptoms will have colds, flu, or allergy issues. This is allergy season. From what I've heard, the agencies are recommending going to the ER mainly if you have severe breathing issues.

I have read in the past that the majority of doctor visits, in normal times, are due to cough and respiratory problems. So this obviously complicates diagnosis.