Dogs in snake country

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oopslala

Reaction score
Well this is the first time in my life I've been in an area (with my dog along) that has poisonous snakes.  He's a hound beagle mix so he sticks his nose into everything that might have some interesting smells, which obviously can be problematic.

What have you guys done to prevent snake/dog encounters? I'm hoping he had the natural instinct to go the other way but I guess I won't know until it happens.

Before you buy pet insurance, MAKE SURE that it covers snakebites.  In writing.  And, as long as you're checking, ask what other things it DOESN'T cover, and/or under what circumstances.

I worked for a vet in SoCal for 12 years.  We got quite a few snakebite cases.  The ones that were bitten in the leg usually survived with treatment, the ones bitton on the nose, tongue, or throat usually didn't.  Sometimes we got two in one day.

Just to show you how much things have gone up in price:  in 1975, a single dose of rattlesnake antivenin cost $19 from the local pharmacist.  According to an article from the Washington Post (2015), the current cost is now $2,300 per vial.

HOWEVER.... you can get the same antivenin, from the same manufacturer, for $100 to $200 in Mexico.

And IF you could keep it refrigerated -- 100% of the time w/no excuses -- you could buy one or two and keep it handy.  I don't know the length of expiration from mfg. date.  But if you had it, and your dog got bitten, you could give it to the vet for administration.  THIS IS NOT A DO-IT-YOURSELF PROJECT!  For those of you who have never had this experience, please understand that it is NOT just giving the antivenin and that's it, like a tetanus shot.  The skin is going to turn red and black.  The black part is going to slough off, and the muscle will likely be exposed.  This is all an OPEN WOUND, so the dog is going to need continuing care.  Ask the vet if you can camp in his parking lot. :D :heart:

Also, most people know to use a tourniquet if a human limb is hemorrhaging, but they assume  that a major-bleeding tourniquet and a snakebite tourniquet are the same thing.  THEY AREN'T.  If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.  And do not -- DO NOT --   try to go by what someone on a YouTube video tells you to do!!!  Some of those people don't have a clue, and are trying to follow the written word, and are misunderstanding it.

One thing about the dog training (which I am glad to know about) is that some dogs/breeds aren't all that trainable when it comes to something like this.  I know one Doberman that had matching rattlesnake damage on both forelegs, and a happy Pit Bull that got a mouth and faceful of porcupine quills (I mean hundreds) not just once,  not just twice, but three times.  Then they moved.  If they moved to a place with porcupines, I have the feeling that he didn't stop with three.  IOW, the predatory drive sometimes overrides training.

And for those who refuse to take the time to actually train a dog, just yelling NO! forty times doesn't cut it, so prepare to get a shock to your credit card.

Snakes are most active in the heat and least active in the cold. Chances are they are not active in many places in the west right now. You shouldn't be seeing much of them until next spring.

I walk in the desert a lot and rarely see any snakes, but I have seen some. My dogs were both very skittish of them.
Bob

Yes, some people insist that coyotes are strictly nocturnal. But no one told the coyotes.

Last visit to the vet I seen an advertisement for snake bite inoculation. Some say it is snake oil, UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine states:

“…Although there may be circumstances where a rattlesnake vaccine may be potentially useful for dogs that frequently encounter rattlesnakes, there remains little fact-based data to support the efficacy of the vaccine to date.”

Around here the Mojave Green has a different type of venom. It's a nasty lil bugger. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mojave-...-california-boy-42-vials-of-antivenom-needed/ Why something needs to be that lethal to kill a mouse, I will have to ask someone after I am deceased.

I've never heard of the Mohave Green Rattlesnake, so I had to look up what venom it has, and if it's different:

" It is perhaps best known for its potent neurotoxic-hemotoxic venom, which is considered the world's most potent rattlesnake venom... Unlike the rattlesnake antivenom used in the United States over the previous 50 years, CroFab antivenom (approved by the US Food and Drug Administration in October 2001) uses Mojave rattlesnake venom A (in addition to venom from three other species) in its manufacture,[15] making it particularly effective for treatment of venom A Mojave rattlesnake bites. Antibodies in CroFab produced by the other three species' venoms effectively neutralize Mojave rattlesnake venom B."

That's new info to me. I learn something new every day! But some of it I'm sorry to learn...

TrainChaser said:
That's new info to me.  I learn something new every day!  But some of it I'm sorry to learn...

We've got four species of poisonous snakes in North America.  The rattlesnake, the copperhead, and the cotton mouth are all pit vipers.  And the coral snake, which is not.

They've got FIFTY species of poisonous snakes in Australia, and the deadliest North American snake wouldn't even make it into their Top Twenty.  Some of their snakes are so bad that you're dead within seconds if bitten by one.

Get your dogs snake aversion training, don't let them run loose and don't feed outside unless you pick up all spilled food.....attracts rodents which attract snakes. Also be as concerned about Valley Fever and Foxtail grass.

Any part of the US that has experienced severe hurricane damage will have more than those 4 snakes.  South Florida is inundated with non-native snakes due to Hurricane Andrew (1992) wiping us to the coral rock.  80,000 residences destroyed and many were keeping exotic animals...snakes.  This is why the python is taking over our Everglades.  Green Mambos have also been found... need I continue?

Let's see... how to tell a poisonous snake from a non poisonous snake?  If you get too close, look 'em in the eye.  Cat's eye? probably poisonous... round eye? Probably not. hahaha

I have plans ? to take my dog to the zoo a few times, to get him used to the smells of strange animals (beyond that of camping people hahaha) and also into the snake arena...but they are glassed off and I'm not sure the zoo keeper would be happy with my using them to train him.  I'll ask first?  I used to be a docent there a long time ago.

the hurricane did not cause the snakes to appear in Florida. it's people who brought the snakes there. how they escaped is irrelevant. they are going to escape no matter what, or be turned loose. highdesertranger

Oopslala said:
Well this is the first time in my life I've been in an area (with my dog along) that has poisonous snakes.  He's a hound beagle mix so he sticks his nose into everything that might have some interesting smells, which obviously can be problematic.

What have you guys done to prevent snake/dog encounters? I'm hoping he had the natural instinct to go the other way but I guess I won't know until it happens.

When we were out west, snake training was available. Don't remember the cost, but it only took an afternoon. They put the dog in a room with a defanged rattler and zapped the dog with a shock collar every time the dog went near the snake, starting out mild and increasing if the dog kept going near the snake.  It sounds means, but the dogs usually quickly learned to associate snakes with pain and left the snakes alone. A real life encounter could end up in a painful death.

Yes highdesert... people brought them in but they are in the wild now..and campers and hikers and bikers have to deal with them ( and those living "too close" to the Glades have them too... and monitors! nasty creatures (Sorry, God, but it's how I feel.)

I'm thinking of adding an elastic bandage for a tourniquet for the dog first aid kit... maybe a safety razor to shave the hair down so I can suck venom :D IDK about that any more... benedryl for breathing... yeah and some adversity training. Where can you get snake scent? Maybe local K9 units have some?

Don't suck snake venom! You can either get them to the vet in time, or you can't. And if you can't, they were probably struck around the face/neck/tongue, or in a vein/artery, and didn't have a chance to begin with.

My 12 pound Yorkie was bitten (twice) by a Timber Rattler, both times in the top of his head.  We got him to the vet within 45 minutes.  The vet explained they no longer use antivenin but use large doses of morphine and antibiotics.  This happened about 6 PM.  He had to stay two nights and suffered no problems other than his hair texture has changed.  He no longer has silky hair like a Yorkie but a stiffer texture almost like a Wire Haired Terrier.

The above episode was about 6 years ago.  Last summer he and his sister cornered a Red Banded water snake in the corner of my bedroom.  The outcome was one dead snake and two happy Yorkies.