Dogs in snake country

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Obion, TN. Obion is located in the north western corner of TN. Last town before you get to KY and as far west as you can go before you drop into the Mississippi River. Closest town (population about 3,000) is about 9 miles away and closest Walmart is 25 miles away.

I am in the sticks LOL and I love it. Driveway is 600 feet from the road and I have 20 acres which is almost all trees. Obion is in the area of Reelfoot Lake which was the scene of an earthquake many years ago.

Msbarth: "The outcome was one dead snake and two happy Yorkies."

Nothing brings more joy to a dog than doing what they were created to do.

My Belgian Tervuren was bred to herd sheep. She had never seen sheep, so she made do very well with my cats. The cats weren't happy about it, but you can't have everything.

I knew a woman who had a built-in swimming pool in SoCal. She also had a German Shepherd next door. If the dog was in his yard, he would jump the fence, leap into the pool, and drag the kids out. But the kids didn't want to come out. She had to ask the owners to keep him confined for parties.

Well yeah suck it...with a snake bite kit... and tourniquet first if you can, cut the bite slightly and get the venom out if you can quickly.  Maybe that's too advanced for most. IDK.  We all do our best.

Whatever. It works in back country for the scouts....and for me. Mayo talks about calling 9-1-1 and the other is about anti-venom.
I'll add in the benedryl if he gets bit. Though I've not had a dog get bit (a horse, but not a dog). I'm sure if it's a pit viper I won't be putting the tourniquet about the neck, like I might for some people hahahahah that's a joke I use when instructing first aid to make sure they're listening.

I had someone give me a snake bite kit that's got some iodine, razor, and the container is a suction like tube thing. The tube doubles as a mini plunger when the sink in my camper gets plugged.

Not sure if that's up to 'code' but most my hiking I do, I get a good 5-7 miles out at least so that might be the 'get me/dog to hospital or vet'

I also carry the small kit which includes a razor and double acting plunger thingie when I head into snake territory. I've used it a couple times, not after snake bites but after spider bites.

When it comes to snake bites, 'sucking' generally means by mouth, 'extracting' usally means using the equipment in a snakebite kit.

Having a wound in your mouth and introducing it to snake venom could be the last bad idea you could have.

And snake venom moves through the lymph system, not the blood system.

Semantics.

I'll be a little more clear for those needing such direction.

IF you don't know what you are doing regarding snakebite kits, how to use them so the SUCTION is correct, or how to perform the tourniquet, keeping time and loosening it so the limb isn't lost. or cutting to help drain venom so the reactive swelling doesn't impede other first aid efforts... (and that's why it's called 1st Aid).You can't keep a dog totally immobile like you might be able to do for yourself, and thus other measures rather than be still and let the venom settle, are called for....  then.... DON'T TRY THESE MANEUVERS at home. hahahahhahaha :)

I would rather try than not.   Thinking later "I should have tried something" if I did nothing really makes me feel bad. ;)

SEMANTICS???  When misunderstanding the meaning can KILL you???

"...keeping time and loosening it so the limb isn't lost..."

You don't put a hemorrhage-type tourniquet on a snakebite.  Ever.  Period.

Also, the layman's instructions for treating snakebites (in people or animals) has changed in the last 20 or 30 years.  Here are the current DO NOTS, posted by the U.S. National Library of Medicine:

"Follow these precautions:
•Do NOT allow the person to become over-exerted. If necessary, carry the person to safety.
•Do NOT apply a tourniquet.
•Do NOT apply cold compresses to a snake bite.
•Do NOT cut into a snake bite with a knife or razor.
•Do NOT try to suck out the venom by mouth.
•Do NOT give the person stimulants or pain medicines unless a doctor tells you to do so.
•Do NOT give the person anything by mouth.
•Do NOT raise the site of the bite above the level of the person's heart."
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000031.htm

The WHY of not doing much:
" Traditionally, first aid included making local incisions or “tattooing” at the site of the bite, attempts at suctioning venom out of the wound, use of tight bands (tourniquets) around the limb, and/or local application of ice packs. None of the traditional remedies have any proven medical benefit. They should be discouraged as they do more harm than good and delay transport to a medical facility. Incision, suction, electric shocks, cryotherapy, or washing the wound are contraindicated as any interference with the wound introduces infection, increases bleeding from the site, and hastens absorption of the venom."

And:  " As per the PIM [Pressure Immobilization Method], immobilization and bandaging of the bitten part is similar to that done in the case of a sprained ankle. Studies have shown that it is seldom applied correctly in simulated environments and, moreover, mobilizing the limb for more than 10 min nullifies the benefits of even the correctly applied bandage.
Both quotations from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2700615/

However, since pets aren't considered sentient beings by law, in your desperation to 'do something', you aren't likely to be held responsible for their loss of limb or death.  IOW, they are 'property', and you can do what you want.

Interesting read. Pretty much what I got out of that is hall ass as calmly as possible to the vet or hospital.

Latest posts