Dog Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariel

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about safety and companionship while being a solitary nomad.  I’ve always been a cat person and will definitely want to have a feline companion with me (in fact, a fair portion of the time I spent exploring my TC of choice recently was used trying to figure out where the heck to put a litter box).

I’ve never owned a dog, but I keep coming back to the idea that having one on the road would be wise for me.  I realize that my own wits are the only thing that’s truly going to keep me safe anywhere and that the dangers and fears can be exaggerated, but I can’t help but feel that I would sleep better at night having a friend on board with excellent hearing who growls when ne’er-do-wells are afoot.

With that in mind, I have a few questions:

1.       Should I just focus on a breed that would be compatible with my personality and be satisfied with a growl-alarm, or should I think about a breed that could actually protect me from danger?  My knee-jerk instinct is to get one that would be happy to take a chunk out of someone who tried to invade the rig, but size is a consideration as well as a dog’s ability to be social.  Does anyone have breed suggestions? (My only restriction is that it is a clean and not overly slobbery breed.  Also, hopefully doesn’t shed too much hair and dander).

2.       Should I get the dog a few years prior to setting out?  How many years?  I am just going to be in the rig part time for at least the first full year before setting out so that I can perfect the rig while I still have steady income.  Would just that year be enough to acclimate the dog to life on the road and to make sure that we’re compatible?

3.       Am I making too much out of compatibility?

4.       Would a grown dog or a puppy be better?  Would a dog raised by me be more likely to want to protect me? 

5.       Are obedience classes worthwhile?  Any other sort of classes?

6.       I am going to want to do a fair amount of city exploration.  Is having a dog going to make this difficult to impossible?  I’d hate to think of a poor dog whining for me in a TC for 6 hours.  I’m also concerned about dog ownership impinging on my free range of activities.

7.       All things being equal, I'd rather just stick with a cat… but I just know I would sleep better with a dog.  Is this enough of a reason to get one?

Thanks!

well a lot of what ifs here. having dogs my whole life I will try to answer some of your questions. first off I feel that the best breed is a mutt. they generally don't have the health issues that pure breeds have and are usually very smart. second a puppy is best imho, a life long bonding goes further than obedience training. third any dog that has bonded with you will defend you to the death doesn't matter of the size or breed. as far as leaving your dog locked up while you are out sightseeing, I really cannot comprehend this maybe someone else can chime in. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

Asking what type of dog is like asking what type of car, there are so many types it's a personal choice. I would recommend getting a puppy and get him (or her)  accustomed to your cat. Maybe it's a guy thing but I would go with a medium size dog like a Belgium Malinous , my daughter in law has one and I have been impressed. Loyal and very intelligent animals. There is a Belgium Malinois rescue site too. This is the type of dog who will protect you, not just bark. 

A good obedience school for any dog would be good, you don't have to spend a lot of money for basic training. Most dogs would like to get out and explore the cities with you, just scoop the poop and away you go. 

Have fun picking one out.... Travel Safe. Bob J. 

My advice--which of course, you may adopt, think about at length, or immediately dismiss-- is simply "when in doubt, do without." You admit you prefer cats, but think a dog would help you feel safer. Dogs are a big commitment and a big responsibility.

I would focus on finding a feline travel companion and research other ways to help me feel safe. Try "Safety on the Road" and "The Girls Room". I'm a dog person, but since my travel buddy is a chi-wow-wow, I'll have to protect her! She is a good alarm system, though, and is travel size.

I wish you well in whatever you decide. :)

There's no way to lock up your dog in a camper/van if the temps are anywhere near warm and the sun is shining. A dog restricts your choice of activities constantly, I travel with two large dogs. Get one of those stuffed dogs that growls for effect.

PLEASE!!! Do not even think about getting a Belgian Malinois. A Belgian Malinois in the highest of the high prey drive dogs and not a dog for the inexperienced handler.

You may be right Cyndi but my daughter in law has had no issues with hers. I don't get your making such a blanket statement. 

Hello! I too am a cat person and though I also like dogs but it is'n t practical for me at this point in my life.I do have 4 cats and made a 3 week trip with them last fall in my mini van. One thing I do feel strongly about is adopting shelter animals so when the time for a dog comes i will adopt from a shelter.That being said I will be posting some things about my first journey with my fur babies as many people were surprised that my travel companions were 4 cats LOL! Just starting out in this forum so I plan to start a blog regarding our travels.I am computer challenged but trying to learn.The above posts have very good advice.Best of luck !!! :)

Cyndi's right, I called my daughter in law and she said her pup was a handful for awhile. Sorry for the bad advice. 

Ask any home repair person and he will tell you that it's the little dogs you need to fear. A dog as small as a Chihuahua will have great hearing and will warn you of anyone nearby. You then have time to grab something to defend yourself with. Honestly do you really want an attack dog in your van ? A tiny dog can also be litter trained as well. I have Poodles but had a Chihuahua for 19 years and they are totally loyal to their one person. There unfortunately are hundreds sitting in shelters because of a dumb movie that gave people the impression that they're great family dogs. You'd have no problem finding a young healthy dog that would be a good companion for many years.

Hi Ariel,

I understand the importance of being able to sleep at night and having a canine set of ears helps me sleep just a little deeper I feel. I've had cats and dogs my whole life. The few I didn't seemed so lonely. Current;y I only have cats. When my elder cat passes (he is afraid of dogs and has never warmed to them) I will consider getting a dog. I to will get a shelter dog. I prefer younger dogs because I think most are more adaptable.

As far as the timing of getting a dog, I would say get one when you have time to put into building that relationship. Like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. If you don't have time to teach your dog he/she could get into habits that you aren't pleased with Then when you go fulltime and want to break those habits it will be very confusing for the dog and could impact their relationship with you. While I've never gone so far as teaching my dogs many tricks, I personally think it's irresponsible to not teach a dog basic commands that will help both you and the dog live safely. I dont like to be around ill behaved dogs. I just find it makes whatever I am participating in less enjoyable. I don't think I am the only one. Also a dog that doesn't come when called or darts out could be seriously hurt while your living out and about in the world.

Since you already have a cat, any environment that you find is acceptable for the cat will be fine for the dog. Tending to temp extremes within a vehicle is the hardest thing for me to do. I would have been fulltiming already if I didn't have pets. I can leave the van, they can't. That being said, one of the cool things I think about having a dog is that they are so easy to take along while you are exploring places. Dog are becoming more and more excepted in stores. I see them in stores all the time on the west coast. I may vary from city to city but you can always tie them up outside and come back for them after you've completed your business. Most restaurants won't accept them due to health codes. I see people out walking their dogs all the time. It always makes me smile. I just love to see the different walks and prances of the different dogs as they trot along side their owners. They are so cute.

Different breeds to have different needs by and large. Of course individual dogs may not have breed specific characteristic. You might do well to familiarize yourself with several breeds that have characteristics that you find desirable. If your a runner and want a dog to run with you you'd want a breed that is higher energy typically. If you plan to spend a lot of time inside the vehicle you'd probably want a breed that is less energetic. There is a show, I think it's on Animal Planet. I've watched it for years. It talks about 3 or 4 breeds within one show. At the end of each segment it gives an itemized list that states breed characteristic like shed, good family dog, needs lots of space to run, etc. Even if you go with a mutt, as I most certainly recommend for the reasons HDR stated above, you can ask about what possible breeds the particular dof might be and ask what they handlers have noticed about the dog.

I personally think a cat is going to restrict your activities much more than a dog would. Cats are not as easy to walk when the vehicle is hot where a dog would be. You'll need to park in shade, ventilate, have fans, insulated beds, cooling blankets, water bowls, etc. for both dogs and cats. People have different responses to animals and can get very passionate about it. I tend to stay out of discussions about whether certain reasons for bringing an animal into an environment is 'right.' As long as an animal is being treated humanely of course. An animal definitely is a responsibility and their needs can impact your life. I take animals into my life thinking it's for the rest of their lives. To me that's a 10-20 year commitment, depending on the animal. That's a large commitment. I think it's a great tradeoff myself. I love the companionship, the antics that make me smile, and all the other little joys that I find with having companion animals in my life. Only you can decide if the trade offs are worth it for you at this particular time in your life.

I hope this doesn't come off sounding to 'preachy' as that's not my intent. Have you ever had a dog before? Maybe you could ask a friend to take their dog when you go on a short trip in your choice vehicle while your still preping it. That could give you a better idea of what it would be like to have a dog with you fulltime. Also try a few excursions out and about without a dog and see if that calms your fears. A lot of times we humans are scared of the unknown. Maybe after a few uneventful trips your fears will be abated and your desire for a dog will recede.

Good luck in your decision process. My posts are usually lengthy because I'm just long winded. When I'm tired (as I am now) they tend to get a little convoluted. I'm sorry if that is the case.

GypsyChic

Keep thinking about getting a dog. Do your research with regard to what breed will work for you. There are compatibility tests online.
http://www.animalplanet.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds/questionnaire/page1.html?q=1

Pure bred dogs are great! There's a better chance of getting exactly what you want due to years of breeding. Finding a reputable breeder is key. One that does health tests and is respected by their peers. If you decide to go with a pure bred dog, let me know. I'll be happy to share criteria for a reputable breeder.

Mutts are awesome, too! And a lot of mutts will carry the traits of the purebred dog you may want.

I'd go to a high kill shelter and get a dog that meets my criteria and needs a home. There are even plenty of purebred dogs in shelters.

If you want a dog and want to be more sure of it's personality go to a reputable rescue that does in home fostering. The people fostering will be able to tell you about the dog and it's issues. A dog from a reputable rescue may cost more up front. If you go to a reputable rescue but it will come fully vetted with shots, micro-chipped and spayed or neutered. They'll also take the dog back if it doesn't work out. Make sure the rescue is indeed reputable. There are a lot of hoarders, puppy mills and scammers out there pretending to be rescues.

If you're traveling it won't be long before you find a dog that needs a home at a rest area. They are a favorite dumping ground.

I could write a ton here but will just add one point: we have small dog, half Sheltie and half Papillon, who we got from a rescue group, and he is over-reactive and barks way too much, including at good friends he knows well. We also have a mellow, easygoing Rottweiler. Both travel in our motorhome well.

I think it's a lot about the individual personalities.. these are both rescues.

cyndi said:
If you're traveling it won't be long before you find a dog that needs a home at a rest area. They are a favorite dumping ground.

Really?!?!? Oh my. What do you do when you find one? It would be so very hard for me to leave an animal alone at a rest area. How do you help them? Can you? I would have just assumed that a dog was left accidently, not on purpose.

Wow - thank you all so much for the thoughtful replies.  Now I don't feel nearly so kooky about starting to think about this well ahead of time.  You each gave important food for thought.

Thank you especially to decodancer and the encouraging words about small dogs.  After reading more last night, I think a small loyal and well trained "watchdog" might be right up my alley.  

Daschunds and corgis are catching my eye.  I think I should try to find a way to visit some.  Also, check this baby out... Swedish Vallhund.  Good enough for a Viking's ship... good enough for mine!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Vallhund

I have what I consider to be a medium sized dog. It's an Australian Cattle Dog. It has some Dingo in it and won't back down from anything. The personality is excellent even compared to Labs I've had in the past. It is extremely athletic and weighs just over 30 lbs. The fur is short and I haven't noticed that much shedding going on. Another thing I like about the dog is she'll whine instead of bark when someone is approaching. It gives me time to prepare without also warning the intruder. Nice advantage to have. BTW there are plenty of them in rescue organizations.

gypsychic said:
Really?!?!? Oh my. What do you do when you find one? It would be so very hard for me to leave an animal alone at a rest area.  How do you help them? Can you? I would have just assumed that a dog was left accidently, not on purpose.

It's not hard to identify an abandoned dog. It would look beaten, lost and confused. Oftentimes they are hungry and thirsty. They learn to hang around  dumpsters and trash cans when they're not combing the parking lots for hand outs. They're cowering under a car, watching for something edible to drop to the ground.

I don't know about anybody else but I for sure can't imagine leaving my dog behind accidentally. 

If I didn't have room for a dog I'd call a local rescue or animal control. Euthanasia at a shelter would be preferable to starving in a parking lot, getting hit or run over by a car or dying of exposure or heat stroke.

cyndi said:
I don't know about anybody else but I for sure can't imagine leaving my dog behind accidentally. 

I come from a family that has a long history of leaving children behind at rest stops and gas stations on vacations. It goes back several generations. I only wish I was joking. So someone leaving behind an animal and hopefully discovering it and going back is what I was thinking. BTW-I've never left behind children.

Yes I agree. Euthanasia is preferable to slowly starving to death or being hit by a car and dying a painful death.

Although I'm thankful for the information, my day became sadder somehow. I will keep it in mind and be on the lookout once I'm on the road.

You might consider looking at adult dogs rather than at puppies, especially if you are looking at purebred dogs. An adult is going to show any genetic issues like hip dysplasia manifest in the first year or two, or at least a vet will be able to tell. You also can get a very good idea of the dog's temperament, and tolerance of your cat.

Pups are nice because you can control their socialization and make sure they are exposed to every possible stimulus, lots of people, other animals, travel, noises, etc. so you avoid fear issues later on. You can start training early and avoid bad habits.

Either way, training is a MUST. Training your dog will make you both happier, keep you both safe, and also help you bond with your dog. It establishes who is in charge, which is vital with dogs (not in a dominance way so much as in a pack hierarchy way).

One exercise you could try to see if a dog is for you is 4-5 times a day, take a walk. A couple of these walks need to be reasonably long, 20-30 minutes is great. Rain or shine.

Any dog will be protective to a point, but if you want a watch dog (barks to alert) look at breeds and breed mixes that have that trait. Some dogs will just roll over for anybody. If you are looking for a dog to protect you by attacking, that is a very specific, highly trained skill, and honestly, those dogs are very expensive and require a well trained handler. They can also be a liability. A dog that will give you a bark alert and make someone this twice is probably the way to go in my opinion.

A fantastic website with tons of training videos about everything you could want to know about dogs is Leerburg.com. They have a ton of videos, many of which are free. They also sell supplies, etc, but you can learn a lot going through the videos.

I would recommend going to a good training class, and not at a petsmart. A comprehensive trainer who uses both positive feedback marker training as well as corrections is best. Training is part of the fun, though, and when you have a dog that will walk at your side off leash on a busy street and come when you call no matter what is going on it really is a pleasure and sense of pride in the partnership you've built.
Another possibility is getting the dog designated a service animal. Service animals can go where pets cannot, and a service animal can be for anything, even anxiety, and no one can ask what service the dog provides. I have heard of people doing this to avoid having to leave their animals at home. You would of course have to have a well trained and well behaved dog for that to work.

Good luck!

"Another possibility is getting the dog designated a service animal. Service animals can go where pets cannot, and a service animal can be for anything, even anxiety, and no one can ask what service the dog provides. I have heard of people doing this to avoid having to leave their animals at home. You would of course have to have a well trained and well behaved dog for that to work. "

BAD BAD advice unless you are truly disabled.

Latest posts