Dog Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion would be a rescue pet. In NM, you will not be able to adopt because they feel RVer's are not a good home for pets. I can only imagine the response to a vandweller. But the craigslistings are full of people wanting to adopt out their pets or acquired strays (free) and by-pass the shelters. Good especially for older pets but many, many puppies and kittens too.

As for the training. I think a petsmart or petco training class would be a good starter class. Then buy a book or two to expand upon the basics (sit, come, stay).

All my pets have been rescues. I am currently petless. But I will most likely get a pet once I resettle in FL. I will most likely get a pet from the local craigslist (where ever that may be).

And I leash trained my cats. One was older (between 5 & 10 yo) and the other was young (6 months). Cats walk you , not the other way around. And I trained the younger cat to use the RV toilet ( I used "How to toilet train your cat" http://www.amazon.com/How-Toilet-Tr...&sr=1-3&keywords=How+to+Toilet-Train+Your+Cat)

compasrose is exactly right, many places I've been looking for a dog wouldn't even consider giving me one because I was a full time RVer. It got so I explained that to them first thing before I went any further to avoid wasting my time.

Nearly all Rescues rejected me right away because of it but I got lucky in Jackson Wyoming and the lady responded with "What a great life for a dog; of course you can have one!"

So now I've got Cody. He's a mixed breed, 2 years old, about 40 pounds and perfect for me. We're perfect for each other.
Bob

I know a lot of people who adore their Dauchunds but I 'd think twice about a Corgi. Great dogs but have a tendency to be barkers and they shed a lot. Also they are working dogs who require a ton of exercise. I was a groomer for 35 years, if you have any breed questions, feel free to ask. Cyndi sounds like she knows a good bit about breeds as well. Shelters are not as fussy as rescues, I've seen perfect owners with huge homes turned down by rescues for in my opinion stupid reasons. I was denied because my fence was not six foot tall once. A reputable breeder who does testing is always the best choice. Never, never buy from a pet shop or online breeder who has several breeds. They may say otherwise but are almost always puppy factories with little concern for the health of the dogs they own.

Regarding not being able to rescue a dog in NM, just last week at Rockhound State Park near Deming I met a Canadian fellow with a minpin (Miniature Pinscher) he'd adopted from the shelter in Deming about a month before that.

My suggestion is to volunteer at a local shelter. It will give you exposure to lots of breeds, sizes. ages. coats, temperaments.
I have 45 or so yrs grooming, showing/breeding, training, rescue. My number 1 requirement for any pet to live with me..... come when you're called. Come to think of it, that's required for people in my life too. Hmmm, could explain why I'm single. lol
Once you've narrowed it down to a few breeds, contact the national breed club for referrals to local breeders. Contact them for more info on the breed.
Finding the actual dog, look at shelters, and craigslist. Get someone that's experienced in dog behavior, etc, to go with you. Another good resource is us groomers. Go around to the local shops and let them know what you're looking for. Oh, vet offices too.

Dogs are descendants of wolves and the less they look like the basic shape of a wolf, the less functional a creature it is. Unlike a dog that lives in a house, a dog in a van needs to be a functional creature because it's going to spend a lot more time outside in actual danger.

I don't recommend the things we've turned many dogs into, they are a canine circus freak show.
Bob

I have had dogs most of my long life, both large and wolf-like and small members of the "canine freak show", in the house and full-time in various wheeled homes. My two cents...

IMHO, getting a dog to alert you while you're sleeping is like getting a boyfriend to change your tire. Wrong reason!! It's a long-term commitment that will require you to change the way you live for many years. Examples:

You can never sleep in. You must be up and dressed to walk the dog, every single day for 10-20 years. 45 degrees and raining? Too bad. Some people just let their dog out to run free. Personally, I see that as a risky behavior.

You plan all your outings around the dog, depending on where you are and the weather. Grocery shopping is done early in the morning when it's cool. I was in the mountains in New Mexico, but "town" was down the hill where it warmed up nicely during the day. There was a farmers' market with fresh in-season produce! But no shade to park and dogs not allowed. And no matter the weather, you never know what a passerby may do if they see/hear your dog inside.

Wanna have lunch in a cafe or restaurant? Take a side trip on a boat, go to a zoo, meet a friend for a drink? Movie? Anything? Get a haircut? Are you willing to forego anything and everything that requires circumstances to be just right to maintain your pet's well-being? Even using my stove or heater means keeping myself between my dog and the flame to avoid fire risks. Every...single...time!

If you are not willing to do all of that, it may be better (and in the long run, cheaper) to install some sort of alarm system. The pounds are full of animals that someone realized, after the fact, wouldn't fit into their lives. Please think hard about this.

I'm sorry to be the nay-sayer here. I love animals. And I have had as many as three dogs while full-timing in my van (down to one now). She is ten years old and can no longer jump into or out of the van. I'm glad she's small so I can easily lift her in and out. Something else for you to consider -- if you get a large breed, in 10 years will you be able to lift it? I had a large dog (80#) who suddenly became lame and I had to ask a friend to come by and help me get her into my vehicle to take to the vet.

As I write this, my furry companion is snoring softly, on her pillows, covered with a little fleece throw (it's cold). Our walks are slower and shorter now as she ages. I just spent $500 at the vet but she's worth every penny.

Best wishes :)

cyndi said:
Great post, Stargazer!

I agree!

After almost 40 years of having a dog companion (3 collies), when I had to have MacKenzie put to sleep I opted not to have another dog in my life for all the reasons that Stargazer pointed out.

While each and every one of my companions were wonderful, they each meant a commitment to think of them and their needs first and foremost.

It was a complete revelation to go to a friends house for dinner and not have to rush home to take Kenzie out for his evening walk. I can go away for a whole weekend and not have to arrange for boarding facilities. I can go kayaking for an afternoon and not feel guilty that he's cooped up at home.

My future includes a whole lot of places where it's either not allowed or inadvisable to take a dog to.

I'm glad that someone finally spoke up. While it's great to want canine companionship, sometimes it can be done for the wrong reasons. Security isn't one of the 'right' reasons in my books.

I have to agree with Stargazer as well. I love dogs and, therefore, would never own one unless I was in a situation that would truly be best for the dog, without restricting my life to a role of full-time dog caretaker. As far as I am concerned, that is just not compatible with the RV lifestyle.

Now, I don't think less of people who do elect to own a dog in that situation. But it is certainly not for me.

I wouldn't say it can't be done. A large number of us do have dogs. But our lives revolve around them; where we go, when we shop.shower or go out to eat is all dependent on whether or not our dogs will be safe. Some people might think we give up quite a bit of freedom. But those of us who partner with our canine companions would whole heartedly disagree.

It is a huuuuuge responsibility; not to be taken lightly.

I know my previous post sounds a little harsh and negative. Know that I would gladly do anything for my BFF (Best Furry Friend).

Several years after my beloved sweetheart died, I remember one evening sitting on the floor of my Sticks n Bricks kitchen, crying my heart out and begging him to come back and take me with him. This little dog came in, crawled into my lap, licked my face, and right then and there, I had a reason to keep going. She probably saved my life. Take my van and everything in it. Do what you will but touch my dog and she'll be having you ground up in her kibble, Fried Green Tomatoes style.

I don't know if I'll get another when she crosses the Rainbow Bridge. Living without a pet ... I don't know. Seems like just when I think I have everything figured out, something happens to show me that I know nothing.

Best wishes :)

I'd like to address the issue of the dog providing security.
Not all dogs will do this. Some would follow the burglars, as in take me too! Not all will bark when you'd like them to.
If you ever want to stealth camp, probably not. The dog may bark when they hear something, which is what you wanted the dog to do in the first place. They hear something and push the curtains aside to look. They get an itch in the middle of the night and set the van to rockin'. An added body is added condensation on the windows. If you need to pee in the night, you can use a bucket. The dog needs out, you have to go out, potentially revealing your presence. Where you can stealth park is already sometimes limited, and will be even more so with having the dog's needs to consider.
Lastly, I don't think you really "need" a dog for security. Security is more about being aware of your surroundings, a street wise sense.
Having a dog..... you gain a lot, but you also give up a lot.

I don't disagree with any of the things people have said about the responsibilities of dog ownership. I'm not going to argue against any of your points.

I am going to give an entirely different slant on it though:

If you sacrifice your life to give your dog his best possible life, without knowing it, you will give yourself your best possible life.

We are animals just like our dogs, in fact for the last 30,000 years we evolved together. Many of you are going to knee-jerk reject this, but a life filled with wildness is best for him and for you. There is lots of science that confirms that the closer humans live to nature, the more healthy we are physically, mentally and emotionally.

In other words the life that's best for your dog, is also best for you. Living in a city is terrible for a dog, and it's terrible for you. That's not just my opinion, that's hard science. I'd recommend a book called "Your Brain on Nature" where they compile scientific studies done on the good effects of being in nature and the bad effects of being in the city. The science is conclusive; nature is good for us, cities are bad. If you have any respect for science, that is simply a fact.

To confirm that, do any studying in Anthropology and Sociology. The bodies and minds of civilized man are nightmares. The more civilized we become the more we suffer from epidemics of depression, suicide, obesity, addiction, stress-related diseases and just general discontent and unhappiness.

So get a dog and give him his best possible life. You will also give yourself your best possible life.

Most of us don't love ourselves enough to rise above our fears to make the "sacrifice" of our miserable city lives. But many of us love our dogs enough to do it for them. I hope you are.
Bob

I can only say that in my case they are worth the time, trouble and expense.  They require a lot from us but they give so much more in return.

I can't imagine life without a dog. I've always had at least one, and sometimes many. But then I grew up a hill billy in the hills of So California and we had 14 dogs at one time :D
I know when i travel on my motorcycle instead of the truck and trailer, I miss the company tremendously, even when I'm with other people. Now, as for security, anyone who met Wolf at RTR will know he'd give you the trailer for a head rub!    :dodgy:

DSCN1534.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1534.JPG
    DSCN1534.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 11
akrvbob said:
In other words the life that's best for your dog, is also best for you.

I have to agree with you, Bob. When I finally get to where I can live my life like you do, then I will allow myself to have a dog. But I've still got some work to do.

Along with the encouragement, I also appreciate the doses of reality; I don't find them harsh or unnecessarily negative.  I'm approaching these questions from a position of complete ignorance, so I need all the perspectives.  Since, as some of you have said, this is indeed a major life commitment, I don't want to jump in with my glasses being a little too rosy. 

In a sense, my wanting to get a dog is prompted by fear of the unknown.  However, if I don't get one, that too would be out of fear of a different kind of unknown.  And what would I miss then? 

I opened this thread under the assumption that I would unquestionably get a dog.  Now, I'm questioning that assumption.  On the other hand, I'm imagining the reasons beyond a security system why having one in my life would be a positive.

In any case, I have a lot to consider. Luckily, time is on my side. :)

You asked:

5.       Are obedience classes worthwhile?  Any other sort of classes?

If you asked that, then you are definitely inexperienced. Getting a dog is great, but I would recommend getting one that alerts only. A smaller dog is much easier to pick up, clean, cheaper to feed, fewer "presents" to pick up, etc. A Border Terrier is probably the most biddable of all the terriers and doesn't shed like other dogs, but I still wouldn't recommend that for a first time dog owner. You are probably going to deal with a fair amount of fur.

Having a dog to alert to happenings around you is a good idea. Dogs can alert far better than we can. We need to do our part to exercise situational awareness, but there are times when we simply can't be. The noise of taking a shower is one, and you probably aren't wearing a gun at that time, either. Sleeping is another time when we are less alert, yet a dog will notice things before you will.

My dog is trained to alert to smoke, so that is a big safety factor. When I'm camping in the woods, she won't let anyone or anything near me. She is a huge pain in the butt, though! Lol. It's worth it. Everything has pros and cons. If I didn't want to deal with anything, I would turn down the lights and huddle in the corner under a blanket keeping conflicts and problems to an absolute minimum. I miss out on a lot in life because of having a dog, but I'm also rewarded a lot.

Obedience training. YES. You MUST train your dog properly, or you will train it improperly. You will train your dog whether you realize it or not. No matter what kind you get, training will be required. Training is highly repetitious and occurs for the life of the dog. Cats should have training, too, but it's easier to throw down food, water, and litter and call it good. Cats can handle that better, but dogs will turn sideways on you if that is all you do.

Should you get a dog? If you are the type of person who makes excuses and chooses not to take the time to properly take care of your dog (or other aspects of your life), then don't get one. The vast majority of people who own dogs shouldn't; don't become one of those. Will you take the time to train and care for it? I mean properly? Then, yes, go for it!!

Canine said:
 Everything has pros and cons. If I didn't want to deal with anything, I would turn down the lights and huddle in the corner under a blanket keeping conflicts and problems to an absolute minimum. I miss out on a lot in life because of having a dog, but I'm also rewarded a lot.

Extremely well said Canine!

Our culture is so obsessed on eliminating discomfort and any danger from our lives that we miss out on so much. To me it's very sad.

Everything has a risk-reward balance, for me, nothing gives me more reward than a dog. 

But of course we're all different and need to do what's best for us. But the main goal of vandwelling is to expand our limits and break out of our comfort zone. That's where the greatest rewards--and risk--lie.
Bob

Latest posts