Dog food storage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
Quite a few of you seem to travel with pets (YEAH!).  I am wondering what kind of kibble containers you've found to be most effective to maintain freshness, fit into your storage well, and is stable against tipping over?  And if you spend much time in a single place, that keeps insects and rodents out.

I know, I know -- I'm looking for perfection and I'm not going to find it.  But improvement may be possible. 

I did contact Rubbermaid, and they said that their totes are not airtight and they do have gaps under the lid, so they aren't rodent- or insect-proof.

Any passing thoughts?

If you ask nicely at the deli/bakery counter in a grocery store you might be able to score a food safe 5 gallon pail with lid. Most raw baked good stuff come in to the store in them ond once they're empty they're usually free to good homes.

I like the square ones myself. I have a couple of them in a storage area under the bed that is deep enough that loose food items are extremely difficult for me to remove. Putting them all in the buckets means that I can grab a handle and lift instead of having to crawl in there.

Two great replies!

I never thought of buckets.   I use them for everything else, but I didn't think of them for dog food.  :blush:
I am the HD Orange Bucket Queen.  But my neighbor works at an organic food store, and said he can get me food-grade ones with lids. 

And that gamma screw-top lid sure sounds like a good idea.

Thanks!

2X on the 3, 4, or 5 gallon bucket, getting them from food stores (for free, they just throw them away), and gamma seal lid.  Gamma Seal sells square 'buckets' with spin-off sealing lids, but they are spendy.  I'll give up a little storage efficiency for free any day.

If you use the free locking covers that come with the buckets get a removal tool (HD has them in the paint department) unless you have real strong fingers.

-- Spiff

the people who make the Gamma Lid, also make a pet food storage bin. air and water tight, plus they are square shaped so they are efficient for packing. http://www.gamma2.net/ . plus the are food safe. highdesertranger

If you have small dogs, you can get half gallon size plastic containers that are insect and rodent proof. Or if you know someone with a bird, the plastic containers exotic bird food comes in work well also. I have a wire hair fox terrier and two chiweenies and one of the half gallon containers last a week for the three of them. They are square, and I keep one in an easily accessible place to use during the week. The other three are kept alongside the drawers under the bed, and since one container lasts a week it's not as much of a hassle to dig them out from wherever they are stored.

Latest posts