Does this make sense? and a question.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyJo

Reaction score
With 100W portable set up, 50 ft of wire, batteries (inverter etc) set up in the SUV - will that work?
I know a hole goes through the side someplace for the wire. But what do I do with the wire when I a moving? I don't think I want to leave a window open for rain to get in.

Thanks in advance.

the further the panels are from the batteries the more power you will loose and with 100 watts you don't have a lot to lose. my portables are on 25 feet of cable 160 watts. highdesertranger

I've always used 50 ft of 10 gauge, that should easily handle a 100w panel without a lot of loss.

highdesertranger said:
the further the panels are from the batteries the more power you will loose and with 100 watts you don't have a lot to lose.  my portables are on 25 feet of cable 160 watts.  highdesertranger

If I get two 100W suitcases, can I hook them together? The cable has to go from the batteries set up in the SUV to the panels. No way will I be able to move the batteries once they are set in. I can keep the inverter in the SUV and recharge things inside, or run an extension cord if needed.

yes, you could hook them together. depending on the controller you use you could keep them at 12v or up them to 24v. the 24v would be better for a longer run. oh wait, if you have the suitcase panels they already have the controller built in. you must leave those at 12v. highdesertranger

Now, what about the cable from the SUV to the panels - there has to be a hole someplace. How do I get the cables in the SUV for traveling?

When in travel mode wouldn't the suitcase panels be stored, so why would there need to be a hole for the cables? Wouldn't they just be tucked inside too? Then when in camp mode the cables could go through a window opened just a crack or more if wanted? I'm guessing the battery would be in the passenger compartment of the SUV and not somehow placed under the hood (if there was room) but maybe I'm missing the picture?

LadyJo said:
I know a hole goes through the side someplace for the wire. But what do I do with the wire when I a moving? I don't think I want to leave a window open for rain to get in.

I wouldn't try to run the wire through a hole.  I'd buy a plug and receptacle like this marine trolling motor set:

https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-MKR...73209598&sr=8-1&keywords=trolling+motor+plugs

The receptacle gets permanently mounted to your vehicle body, with wires running to the solar charge controller, and the plug goes on one end of your 50 foot of wire.

I just close my back gate on the wires carefully. There is also a drain hole under the spare if I really wanted to get fancy.

LadyJo said:
With 100W portable set up, 50 ft of wire, batteries (inverter etc) set up in the SUV - will that work?

Thanks in advance.

I think I understand the question.  

For a portable (suitcase) system;

Some people buy an extension cord, and set up the ends they want.  When it comes time to move, you unplug and roll up the cord.  The cord can pass through a window, or any opening.  

If you have the panels set up permanently, it requires a way to pass through the body.

Thanks everyone. The cable can go through a window, I will need to duct tape a trash bag to the opening for rain. And I do have a drain hole, but it is a big pain to get to. The plug looks interesting, will need to figure it out.

Thanks!!!!!