Does snoring blow stealth?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading the thread from the beginning, I saw some doubting anyone could even hear the snoring from far away. But when I was a kid I remember hearing my neighbor snore from all the way at the back of his house, over to ours. I've heard a good number of really loud snorers. So I wouldn't be surprised if people heard you snoring through the thin walls of a van out the short distance to the curb.

My dad's been bugging me lately about my own snoring, which he hears from across the hall. This tells me I'd likely be heard in a van, too, unless I build my sleeping quarters for ME instead of some generic person. Sleeping position is important.

As for those thinking a CPAP would help....I doubt it. They make as much noise as snoring, so what's the point? I tried one and found it almost impossible to exhale, as the idiot set it way too high for normal breathing. They didn't want me to interfere with the settings, either. In addition, it dried my throat something awful, making me snore even more. I kept waking up coughing and couldn't shake those dry bronchial passages. I woke up feeling like I hadn't been to sleep at all. The final insult was when they told me they wanted to charge me well over $2,000 for what amounts to a glorified hotplate and blow-dryer! I told that nut that I could build one with brand-new parts for less than $100, and best of all, it would be adjustable from the front panel by the user! Fortunately, they dragged their feet and my insurance ran out before they could get that thing and I've done without for the last ten years. I'd guess that the current drawing requirements for these things would not be inconsequential, either, especially in a solar/stealth setup.

I've told my dad that, if I can get over his insane desire to interfere in my daily affairs (I'm 63), he can get over my snoring. Besides....I hear him all the time from all over the house, and it's thunderous.

If your snoring is related to sleep apnea a CPAP could save your life.. and reduce the snoring to almost nothing. These days they make CPAP machines with humidifiers that would eliminate the dry throat problem, and you can adjust the humidifier level. I sleep with one every night since last December and love, love, love it. I wake up feeling well-rested and like I breathed all night instead of struggled. There's nothing like waking up gasping for air after an apnea episode to get one into a sleep study. They said I had 14 apnea episodes per hour, and that's less than most people with this problem. Little did I know. So I do recommend CPAP machines, for people who want to live longer. My sister said she and her husband both snored and got CPAP machines before I did, and the snoring almost completely went away. You can get batteries to run the CPAP ... it is just something else you have to work into your system for electrical power. Seriously, if you snore, try to get a sleep study and do your best to adjust to the CPAP if they say it would help you.

I was homeless for a month or so and staying in a small town where everything is not too close together. No matter where I stayed, the police would discover me because of my snoring, wake me up and make me move somewhere else. I would definitely get a CPAP if I were you. I just bought a van and am installing solar power right away for just that reason.

GeorgiePorgie said:
By the way, you do not want to use the humidifier function on a batter powered CPAP. It drains too much electricity.

It is a drain on the battery pack, to use the humidifier, but I cannot sleep without it (already tried that) so I'll have to take that into consideration when I prepare for my electricity needs. I'm planning to have dual heavy duty batteries in the van, and 400 watts of solar. Do you think that would be enough? I will also have a tv, computer, sewing machine, and who knows what else? A hot plate and coffee pot, probably!

travelaround said:
It is a drain on the battery pack, to use the humidifier, but I cannot sleep without it (already tried that) so I'll have to take that into consideration when I prepare for my electricity needs. I'm planning to have dual heavy duty batteries in the van, and 400 watts of solar. Do you think that would be enough? I will also have a tv, computer, sewing machine, and who knows what else? A hot plate and coffee pot, probably!

I am far from an expert, but 400 watts is plenty for a CPAP, without a humidifier. If you are going to use it, plus a bunch of other stuff, I'm not sure 400 watts will be sufficient.

I guess I'll have to see what happens. The battery I'm buying specifically for the CPAP can be recharged with the van's 12v anyhow... I'll just have to plan ahead.

travelaround said:
I guess I'll have to see what happens. The battery I'm buying specifically for the CPAP can be recharged with the van's 12v anyhow... I'll just have to plan ahead.

Get a Kill-A-Watt meter and measure how many watts you use in a night.  Then you will know and not guess about something that will affect your health.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Get a Kill-A-Watt meter

Thanks! I'll look into that. For sure!

Edited to say: Done! I will get it Thursday so later this week I can tell you what I've discovered about using the CPAP with humidifier all night long.

Someone said a CPAP machine is a loud as snoring. That is completely incorrect. Mine is completely silent when I am wearing the mask with a slight noise of air escaping when it is off - no way anyone could hear anything outside the vehicle.

Same with mine, GeorgiePorgie . . . if it was loud it wouldn't allow me to sleep. Mine is very silent. I wonder, have CPAP machines changed that much in the last ten years? I just got one last December.

They have changed. They now have BiPap machines. Now when you exhale, the pressure is reduced to make it easier. Love mine and it is as near silent as I could hope for.

I use a nasal pillow mask as I have facial hair. I don't use the humidifier at all anymore as I breathe through my nose so no drying out.

GeorgiePorgie said, in relevant part:
"Someone said a CPAP machine is a loud as snoring. That is completely incorrect."

My reply:
I'm glad you found a quiet one. The one they tried on me at the sleep study sounded like a vacuum cleaner, and I couldn't exhale at all, as it was turned up much higher than what they told me it would be set to. I couldn't have been more unrested if I'd slept on an active construction site. This was back in late '07 or '08, and I haven't bothered to check to see how things have changed since. There were no adjustments on the device I could get to, and I still think I could build a better unit from scrap, as it would at least have adjustable settings for air pressure and humidity. I used to be an HVAC guy, so this isn't rocket science to me. Maybe it's time for me to locate someone's used unit and give it a thorough cleaning and some mod work. I think the first thing I'd have to do is build one for 12 volts DC, and one for 120 volts AC. I'd still have to use existing hoses and masks, though, and these require really good cleaning.

In the meantime, enjoy yours.

You can gat 12 volt power supplys for some C Paps. Also you may get away with using your humidifier without the heat on with just the water in it. One word of caution, if you bundle up and sleep in a cold vehicle keep the C Pap under the covers with you! I parked one night and the temp plunged down into the teens one night with the C Pap on my night stand. I woke up in pain because of the frigid air being blown into my sinuses! I slept with the C Pap under the blankets after that!

Some old cpaps blow air in even when the wearer is breathing out. Spouse got a new cpap which somehow knows when she breathes out and quits or reduces pumping at that time. her lungs are in much better shape now. Plus it is much quieter and is smaller.

The new machines are called bipap. They sense when you are exhaling and reduce the pressure to allow exhaling easily. All the machines are able to be adjusted for pressure. How do you think they initially set the pressure for you? Sometimes it may take pushing two buttons at the same time to get it in programming mode or holding a button long enough. A quick search on the internet will get you results on how to do it on your machine. Make sure you put your make and model in the search.

And, yes, most machines are 12V input and have travel adapters that plug into 12V outlets. This is why they have the little external brick that changes 120V AC to 12V DC.

I snored very badly for many years. I am overweight now but I have snored ever since I was a kid, when I was a beanpole. I am not exaggerating when I say it was destroying my marriage. I was also tired ALL THE TIME. I felt like shit 24/7 and would wake up feeling more tired than I was when I went to sleep. I went to a sleep clinic and was tested for sleep apnea. I learned that my snoring had gotten so bad I would quit breathing on average 20 times per hour, and every single time I would wake up just enough to start breathing again, but not so much that I was actually conscious. I was never hitting REM. It's a wonder I'm not insane. I got myself a CPAP machine. This was a little awkward at first but I quickly got used to it, and it changed my life. No kidding.

I have severe sleep apnea... I know my machine, a Philips Dream Station saves my life every night. I can use it at home on 120v or 12v dc on the road.

I didn't want a mask so I bought the tube that goes under my nose and I sleep well now. My machine is not noisy at all, some may be as there are many brands.

I have an adjustable heated tube that takes the chill off the air in the colder months making the machine so much more comfortable to use. If you don't have a heated tube, try putting all the hose you can under the covers and that helps to warm the air in the winter.

What a life saver this machine is....

Latest posts