Does anyone use a virtual mailbox?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbasin

Reaction score
Does anyone use a virtual mailbox? If so, which one, and do you recommend?

i use and am very happy with traveling mailbox.

i only use that as a mailing address. if you need a "residence" or "domicile" address, they probably wont work for you

BCM Mail & Ship in Quartzsite will scan your mail. It's only $69.95 a YEAR rather than $15 or $25 a MONTH.

interesting, but the charge to scan the contents and forward packages seam significantly higher. costs at least a $1.50 to see what is in an envelope and $4 (+shipping costs) to have a package forwarded. depending on how much mail you receive it could be good or bad.

bcm mail n ship details here... https://www.bcmmailandship.com/pricing.html

I get very little snail mail that's worth reading or forwarding. Who does, anymore? So the charges to scan the contents of something I need to read once every two or three months is no big deal.

I use scanmailboxes.com in Austin, TX. They are a company that is founded and staffed entirely by deaf people. However they are about $200 per year. I used them because they are in Austin and I want my mailing address to be in Austin. Other similar services in Austin are almost as expensive, but I'm not helping deaf people. 

Their web site says you get a "real street address, not a PO box" but it still doesn't count as far as your driver's license or Real ID is concerned. However, the DMV in Austin told me that lots of churches and homeless shelters in Austin let homeless people use their address as a "residence" address, and that works just fine. Yes, you can give the DMV one address as your "residence" and then a different one for where they actually mail the license. So, the "Real ID" requirements are still kinda lame. It is just one more hoop to jump through.

One more hoop to be used against us when they feel the need.

Arizona gives the option of regular or Real ID -- at least at the moment. Since Real ID is only needed to board airplanes or enter federal facilities, and I already have a passport that could serve that purpose, I opted out of Real ID.