Does anyone use a Prius or other hybrid battery?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protryon

Reaction score
They have a 1.3 kWh capacity and are only 93 lb or so. They are 200 V or so by default, but are dry cells so you could probably rewire them easyish to be 12, 24, 36, or 48 V. (I'd choose 48 V if there was a good inverter, less power loss I think). Has anyone done this before? I recently considered buying a dead Prius to refurbish and flip so I did some research. I currently have a 2.7 kWh SLA AGM battery bank that costed be $400 shipping included, 50% of which I can use. I think you can get broken/yet to be refurbished Prius batteries for like $200 or so, last longer, and can be discharged to like 30-40% safely. I imagine they have great cranking amps so you could totally have those high wattage loads!
So has anyone done this?

There was a thread somewhere, maybe facebook, that talked about what king of battery the prius has. It is not lithium ion.

RVTravel said:
There was a thread somewhere, maybe facebook, that talked about what king of battery the prius has. It is not lithium ion.

Their not Li-Ion or any variant, but NiMH. It's kind of like a middleground on cost, weight, price, and dischargability.