Does anyone else have dogs with seizures?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
Queenie is a chihuahua and has  had seizures since she was very young.  She's a little over 6yrs. now... the vets can't figure it out.  There seems to be 2 kinds that she has ....the worst is violent uncontrolled muscle spasms so bad that I can only stay by her and speak softly while gently stroking her.... I'm afraid to hold her/restrain her  as she is like a slinky going done steps without any control...others are less violent and she seems be aware that she's not o.k.

If anyone else has dealt with a similar situation please tell me if anything has helped.. Does anyone travel with a animal like this?  

Tonight after the seizure was over,  I ended up 1/3 off the bed, at the foot of course and forgot that I can not lay flat out on my stomach and get up without a chance that my back will lock up on me.  I swear she was hiding a grin as she watched me move and twist around trying to get up without hurting myself.
                          I'm like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon    " I'm too old for this shit"    :(    TJB

Hi
Our beagle has seizures. Sometimes with very bad muscle spasms. Our vet ruled out any discernible source. He did say that there were drugs that could help. We decided against them because the seizures are fairly widely spaced in time. The seizures frighten her and us but do not seem to cause any other problems. Our vet told us that this is not an uncommon problem in dogs.

Yes we have traveled with her without any problems. Fairly short trips usually under a 1000 miles
Bast

One of our rescues (Butters) the Shih-Tzu had seizures fairly regularly. Vets have found no reason for them. We use Phenobarbital 32.4 mg pills and have found them to control the seizures. Only on occasion will the little bugger spit the pill unseen by us and next thing you know it's seizure time. While not a pill lover, I do recommend these pills. The vet prescribed 1 and 1/2 pill every 12 hours, That's 3 every 24 hours and we thought that was excessive. Through testing, I have found that 1 pill a day will work. A side benefit is the pills last longer, so, I can stock up on them for when we're out in the boonies and away from and vets.

Attachments

• DCP_6127.JPG
    DCP_6127.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi
Have you tried putting the pill in a pill pocket. My beagle will gobble them down and not even notice the pill. Walmart has a generic version that is much cheaper than the brand name ones.
Bast

Bast said:
Hi
Have you tried putting the pill in a pill pocket. My beagle will gobble them down and not even notice the pill. Walmart has a generic version that is much cheaper than the brand name ones.
Bast

Hadn't tried that, but, found he loves liverwurst, so we tuck the pill in it. Now, unless I'm careless, he gets his pill.
Tjaybird, have you noticed if your baby is temporarily blind after the seizure? I though Butters was just dis-oriented  after an episode, but, found it was temporary blindness.

My dog is 13 years old and just had her first seizure after a little scuff with my moms dog. She locked up, was shaking violently and her little tongue turned black [emoji27]

I just about lost my mind!

Is there any sort of emergency treatments to administer when this happens? Or would it be better to get on a daily preventative routine? We can't deal with another one of those... [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorow. I'm sorry this happened to your furbaby. You of course need to ck with a vet about meds. My layman's opinion, it may never happen again, your dog is an old senior and I would not give meds unless they become frequent or last for several minutes.
This is very common, your baby went into a sensory overload, seizures are common in dogs.

My poodle has had seizures frequently before changing lifestyles, he is 11years old. Since being on the road full time, I have stopped giving her or my big dog flea control due to, no problems with fleas. Cricket has had one seizure since we have been full timing.That was due to her panic when her back leg was caught in her seat belt. It may be a coincidence that seizures pretty much stopped after flea control wasn't needed.

Always rely on a vet, not opinions, even if they are mine. Lol

Dragonfly

I think you are correct about the sensory overload. I'm just happy to hear that they are semi common.

Now I feel really bad for anyone else that has to see someone/something they love go through that. It's absolutely horrifying.

Thanks for your help and kind words!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they're certainly scary, esp if the dog has never had them before.

Most seizures are idiopathic, which means they don't know what causes them, but they suspect they are genetic. Working for a vet for 12 years, he said that he agreed with that. Most of the epileptic dogs I knew were popular breeds that had been bred indiscriminately by puppy mills and ignorant backyard breeders.

Keep in mind that all seizures are not the major grand mal type. A dog can be having a seizure while still on his feet, staring sightlessly, with twitching body parts (all or some). This can mimic fear, but a fearful dog is responsive, a seizuring dog is not.

You need to take the dog to your vet for some blood work and possibly x-rays. These rule out things like low blood sugar and liver disease, and obvious brain tumors. Seizures can kill if they're severe enough and last long enough.

My tiny Timex is a certified seizure alert dog as I have a seizure disorder.

One day she had a solo seizure & scared the crap outta' me! In her case we were able to narrow it down to her being allergic to tobacco smoke. I know from my own experience that it doesn't hurt but watching her flop was awful!

I hope your furkid gets settled with this!

Latest posts