Dodge Ram Van Rust T/F Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntiGroundhogDay

Reaction score
Provided the Ram van or Dodge Class B you purchase is relatively rust free (just surface rust.  You have to look at the front frame horn where the steering box attaches. When they get bad the Steering box will pull out of the frame.), if you plan to full time in it following the 70F temperatures, it will remain rust free through the life of the vehicle.  True or False? 

Ok, so unless your Dodge van is a garage Queen, rust will eventually get to it?

Well if you stay in dry climates and away from the ocean you can avoid rust concerns completely. I have an 01 Dodge 3500 that has spent at least 10 years in NW Arkansas where the summers are humid and we occasionally get winter snow. It still looks great.

Your question seemed to be more about temperature. Or that is how I read it.

If you have, or have found a nice, solid van it will last a long time under most conditions.

You could always undercoat the area.

I guess I'm just worried about the investment and the frame wearing out before the drivetrain. I don't hear about Chevy or Fords having the same problems, though I certainly see rusty examples of rusty Chevy/Ford cargo vans every day in the Northeast. Obviously things will wear over time, but I'd be pissed if I caught a nice used ~2000 Roadtrek Popular 190 in great condition, only for it to rust out. As for undercoating...if I were a DIY kind of guy, is this feasible on the road? go to Salvation Army and pick up some throwaway clothes, then head to Autozone for undercoating product ABC in a can and have at it every year?

I can certainly avoid salt/winters for the most prat other than visiting family in the NE once in awhile, but the ocean? That is part of the reason for fulltiming (and the mountains!). :(

while being close to the ocean shore is not near as bad as driving on salted roads, it's still not as good as being in the middle of the desert. the salt is in the air close to the ocean, the worse is fog.

on Dodges is hard to inspect the inside of the frame rails. a mini cam can help. any type of scale rust is bad, runaway. you can also pull the steering box bolts one at a time and inspect them, this will give you an idea of what it looks like in there. don't forget the idler arm I have seen it pull through the frame as much as the steering box.

don't forget to check for repairs. any type of patch work is a no-no. highdesertranger

And with that highdesertranger... no Dodge for me. I'm not doing (or paying someone) all that inspection on a Dodge. :p

Yes Dodges rust. So do Chevys, Fords, GMC and all the others. You have to know what you are looking at, hire someone that does know, or take your chances. With any vehicle. Rust does not discriminate. The latest problem with 5 year old iron is the hydraulic brake lines rust and leak, or burst at inopportune times.

Weight said:
Yes Dodges rust. So do Chevys, Fords, GMC and all the others. You have to know what you are looking at, hire someone that does know, or take your chances. With any vehicle. Rust does not discriminate. The latest problem with 5 year old iron is the hydraulic brake lines rust and leak, or burst at inopportune times.

I understand all Vans rust. I originally started reading about rust problems with Dodge vans because of Bob. Please go to the 1 minute 48 seconds mark: 

Ok I checked the video. I don't think the rust problem is as bad as Bob thinks. I'm in the rusty north east. I see lots of Dodges. I don't see problems much different than any other makes. For we cheapies, looking at 10 or 15 year old vans, I do think the GM has a better engine monitoring system.

Dodge B vans love to rust in two places:

Front frame rails. Deadly if not caught as the steering box likes to break off, or worse the idler arm mounts break off.

The windshield pillar.

steamjam1 said:
Dodge B vans love to rust in two places:

Front frame rails. Deadly if not caught as the steering box likes to break off, or worse the idler arm mounts break off.

The windshield pillar.

I'm sure Ford and Chevy vans have their spots as well... the question is, do you think a Dodge is more likely to have rust problems over the other manufacturers given the same age van?

AntiGroundhogDay said:
I'm sure Ford and Chevy vans have their spots as well... the question is, do you think a Dodge is more likely to have rust problems over the other manufacturers given the same age van?

Dodges are particularly vulnerable to rust at the frame horns. This is mostly due to Dodge not undercoating the frame rails properly during production. Whenever I buy a Dodge, (I've owned a few) its the first thing I look at before I even pop the hood to see how well it runs.
When it comes to rust, Fords are the best protected and easiest to fix because of the full frame (1980's and 1990's) Chevys aren't as vulnerable to rust either.

Yesterday on eBay, I "won" a Roadtrek 2003 Popular 190, For only $22,000.   It's a Dodge engine and chassis, (Ram B3500) from a Eurovan dealer in California that specializes in Eurovans.  I ran a CarFax report and found that it has had only one owner, who lived in Kansas, and finally used it for a trade-in, with only 51,000 miles.  The California dealer did NO cosmetic cleaning-up because it's not their kind of inventory.  However, they promise to make sure it's "mechanically sound" before it goes out the door, and they also have a 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty.

It's currently on RVTrader, too, the very same vehicle, listed for $34,600!

There was only one bidder besides myself -- perhaps because the photos weren't attractive and showed imperfections?  What gives?  Why did I get such a good deal? Bob says when it's too good to believe, it usually is!  So I'm very happy to finally find this vehicle, but really nervous that there's some reason hardly anyone bid!!

Any thoughts are welcome!!  - zippy

The price you paid sounds about right considering it has relatively low miles. Nada has average retail sales on that year and model ranging from 15k to 20k. Add more money for the low mileage.
They're hard to find and from what I understand they regularly sell above book value. It's a seller's market on class b's in good condition.

The price on RVTrader is ridiculous in my not so humble opinion

No matter what year the Dodge van is, if its from a place that pours salt on anything.. .Even snails... Id have the frame horns inspected before I even started the engine, looked at the interior, or even considered what color it was...

Hello all,

Yes, I'm still looking. The latest is: 1996 Dodge Ram Van 2500, 124k miles, custom paint, immaculate interior (working tv, vcr, blah, blah, blah), very clean looking except...

Rust. On the bottom of the doors with at least one spot having the rust all the way through. Owner says no major rust underneath which is encouraging (trust but verify) and has been a one family vehicle.

Original trans (which I would budget for replacement) with recent work / improvements being new exhaust, brakes and tires.

Please take a look at the pics and those with experience let me know the approx cost to repair the rust. I really like the longevity of the Dodge engines but have shied away from later Dodge years due to the frame rust issues.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Rick

Attachments

• 00u0u_fO4EMVMWkmF_1200x900.jpg
    00u0u_fO4EMVMWkmF_1200x900.jpg
    70.2 KB
  • Rust2.jpg
    Rust2.jpg
    369.1 KB
  • part0.jpg
    part0.jpg
    365.1 KB
I'd send the $500 deposit if required & go see it, get under it with a great flashlight, etc before paying the rest. I think ebay motors runs totally different then reg ebay.
The old way in Michigan was to save the used oil on the farm till a dry spell in the fall, get underneath & paint the entire bottomside with the used oil they drive down all the dusty roads you could find. I'm not saying do this it's just a history lesson that worked.

Latest posts