Do I REALLY need solar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob D...You will benefit from MPPT for sure. You might want to consider going with a better unit, such as Midnight Kid. True, a bit more costly, but worth the extra.
I am currently saving to upgrade, as I have seen what they will do for other users.
Tho I highly recommend Renogy panels, their controllers are easily beaten by many of the other brands.

bindi&us said:
Bob D...You will benefit from MPPT for sure. You might want to consider going with a better unit, such as Midnight Kid. True, a bit more costly, but worth the extra.
One way a better controller can pay for itself is by being able to charge your battery in exactly the way it wants/needs to be charged (thanks Sternwake for teaching us all that!!)

If the extra customization doubles the life of an expensive battery, it was money well spent!
Bob

I'd like to know when anyone had a panel fail under normal circumstances other than Renogy flex panels. In five years of doing solar, RV forums, solar forums and such, I have never seen a post saying a panel failed outside of the flex panels. I am sure it happens but it is rare.

I have seen one panel with a flimsy frame that had a cracked glass. 
I'd guess it is a rare problem, as that is the only one I know of. I still believe its less of a chance with a quality frame.
I also like that Renogy is now coating the back of their panels with an elastomeric type material which can only help make them more suited for mobile use.

I have seen some very flimsy, and broken, frames. Favorably impressed with Renogy's, in comparison.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Me and Vic returned home one spring and had 3 panels scattered across the yard and garden.Didn't bother them at all.They are more secured now.The reason I want to buy a cheaper mppt controller is because I'm not sold on the advantage of mppt.Since I can't find any un biased tests I'm going to do my own.Curiosity mostly,since I already have plenty of power.

Well if your driving every day you might be able to get by with just a 2nd battery charging from the alternater. You can start with that and add the panels and charge controller later on.