Do I need both?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janncwebb

Reaction score
Looking for a quicker answer than I am getting from friends on email. I ordered a suggested list and I’ve ended up with two MPPT. I have a “Smartsolar charge controller MMP 150|100 - Tr” and a Renogy Rover “40A MPPT Charge Controller”. 

I don’t need both, do I? 

I need a diagram of what to wire in what order. I’m going to have my solar done at the Van Build, but would like to get my house batteries done before I get on the road.

Sorry, I have no experience with either controller.

Always connect the controller to the batteries before connecting the solar and disconnect solar before disconnecting the controller from the batteries. This rule applies to all controllers.

You are doing your batteries before the solar install so all is well.

There should be someone along shortly to give you their take on the controllers. I am sure they will want to know what panels and how many you have.

I hope you have done an amperage budget for how much battery and solar you need. This is done by gathering the amperages of everything you want to run and how long you plan to run them and at what voltage.

Example:
Fan 12V DC - 1 amp - 12 hours
coffee pot - 120V AC - 900 watts - 10 minutes = 12v DC Amps (someone can do the math. Conversions not my forte).

what size panels do you have? the smartsolar mppt 150/100 thats a 100 amp controller, thats for a large array of panels, that might be overkill for a small van installation. 

The renogy 40 amp, that can handle what a typical van might have in panels. It can probably handle up to 500 watts of panels as long as they don't exceed 100 volts total.  

The only way the 100 amp might be useful if you have maybe 1400 watts of panels connected in series that add up to less then 150 volts , and your battery is 12 volts, if you have 24 volts you can go even higher on panels. Thats almost what you see in houses.

You don't need both, once we know how many panels and there wattage, we can better inform you which one is the one that will work for you. Myself I don't like spending more for something that I will never use. I wouldnt buy a 100 amp mppt controller if my panel only puts out 12 amps. You can still use it but its not cost effective.  

In my case I have one 240 watt panel, and all I need is a 20 amp ecoworthy mppt. If you have 2x240 watt panels, then you might need 40 amps. You might need 4 or 5 x240 watt  panels to get up to 100 amps. Thats not precise but close to that area.