DIY Thermal Cooker.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB1954

Reaction score
I have become interested in Thermal Cookers.  They work by insulating the pot after it has been brought up to temp.  Instead of having to burn fuel to simmer food for a couple of hours, you just keep the heat from leaving the pot. I was thinking that if I made an insulated box to put a stove top pressure cooker in that would work just as well.  
Bring the pressure cooker up to temp on a stove, then drop it into an insulated container, a few hours later the Chili is done.

Anyone ever try this?

We do it all the time on backpacking and canoe trips!

I do something similar when cooking pasta, potatoes and some veggies. I simply bring them to a boil, simmer for few minutes, setting the pot aside while I use the burner for something else.

On packpacking trips I have reflectix cozies made to fit my pots. Once the water has been brought to a boil and the dehyrated food added, we simply simmer for a couple of minutes, put the pot in the cozy and give it the right amount of time.

To actually cook chili, as opposed to just reheating it, you might have to use something a bit more rugged than just a reflectix cozy. I recall seeing setups for doing what you want but in involved a large box and straw to make sure that there was enough heat retention to actually cook the chili.

You might be better off with a solar cooker for both the sake of the chili and storage space IDK!!

You could also make your own "Wonder Oven" such as this:

This could also double as pillows/foot rest/etc.

JT646 said:
You could also make your own "Wonder Oven" such as this:

This could also double as pillows/foot rest/etc.

If you're lazy like me, they sell things like this online (Amazon.com). Can't remember what they call them, but now that you have the idea, should be easy enough to find.

Boat people bring their pressure cooker up to pressure then wrap it in a quilt and store it on the bed for the duration of the journey assuming wild weather isn't expected. Don't cover the pressure rocker thingy at first and don't "check" your food until many hours have passed.

Pressure cookers rely on constantly generated steam keeping the pressure up to cook things quicker don't they?
I'm thinking a regular dutch oven or other big pot would work the same after removing from the heat source.....

rvpopeye said:
Pressure cookers rely on constantly generated steam keeping the pressure up to cook things quicker don't they?
I'm thinking a regular dutch oven or other big pot would work the same after removing from the heat source.....

The nice thing about pressure cookers is that they hold the pressure at first creating a faster cooking situation.  Wrapping them in a quilt or whatever slowly converts your pressure cooker into a slow cooker.  Kind of a 'best of both worlds' situation, but yes, any pot will work provided the lid is tight to seal in the heat and steam.

Yeah , I just mentioned that cuz lots of mobile dwellers carry a minimum of cooking utensils and wanted to point out they could do this without having to get a pressure cooker.....love the idea though , saves lots of fuel !

When ever you see a pressure cooker recipe call to allow the cooker to drop of it's own accord, it is cooking until the pressure is down. A thermal cooker will just keep it under pressure and cooking longer.

rvpopeye said:
At sea level water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. no matter how much heat you add the water temp will not get any hotter. For each pound of pressure that is added to a sealed container of water, it raises the temperature by 3 degrees. So if the pressure cooker is at 10 lb pressure the water temp is 242, (212 + 30). 
Radiator caps in vehicles work the same way.

I love Thermal Cookers!  I have blogged about them a few times...

http://www.pocketfullofwanderlust.com/?s=thermal+cooker

There are many great models available, Tiger and Saratoga Jack both make great cookers, but they are not cheap.  A very reasonably priced alternative to a traditional Thermal Cooker is an old fashioned Thermos!  Yes a standard Thermos.  Heat your food over a heat source and get it to a rolling boil, then pour it into the Thermos and wait....  You can always reheat the contents of the thermos for longer cooking.  Thermal Cookers are awesome, no need for a constant heat source, which makes them really safe for the vehicle dweller!
-AK

Latest posts