DIY Separating Toilet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maki2 said:
Your toilet does not have the feces going into a permanently installed holding tank that can be emptied into one of the waste dumping stations. Therefore it won't qualify as being a self contained RV. What they want to see is drain lines coming out of your waste tanks that can go into the big underground waste tanks and into a sewage treatment system.

While you hear a lot of people saying stuff about diapers going into the trash the rules for municipal waste are that feces in diapers are to be flushed down the toilet. The city I am currently in also requires that people flush dog poop down the toilets. In addition they also do not allow feces to be put into the compost waste collection as that is only for waste that can composted and immediately after it is composted is acceptable to be put onto food crops.

The BLM inspectors who approve what RVs can go onto the BLM LTVA lands won't be buying into what you personally have to say about your toilet being self contained as it does not comply with the standards of "self contained" that they use.

Fortunately I won't have to depend on the LTVA rules (yet), but I would say that it's time to change the rules again. Reducing the use and production of fertilizer and reducing the strain on waste treatment plants should be a good thing and be promoted.
Van Williams

I'm ignorant.

How closely do the inspectors look?  Are there ever inside the dwelling inspections?  Do they drop down in the dirt or use other means to look underneath?  For a combo gray and black tank do they require the standard 3" outlet or does a 1-1/2" pass? Does the dump valve have to be a slide type?  Do they ask to see the flex drain line? Does a 15 gallon grey and black combo qualify?

Do they mainly target users with other than typical manufactured campers/vans/whatevers?

Jasper I’m at the LTVA in Quartzsite where I’ve wintered for the last few years. I’ve never seen the rangers inspect yet but I suppose it could happen. I have an RV so it’s never iffy for us but I do camp with many that don’t have the typical waste tanks.

Abnorm was pinged on this year by the rangers and installed a toilet and black tank in his rig. Maybe he will comment and post some photos. I don’t know if he’s pleased with his conversion or not but they were both sick recently and I’m sure it came in handy especially then!

He’s camped about 100 feet or so out my front window.

Maki2 was more focused on the existing rules and regulations. Whether they are enforced, is another matter. And violating those rules, expose you to fines. Usually you probably can get away with it, but that doesn't mean that it is an endorsement.
I try to avoid places with too many rules, so it won't bother me (yet).
Van Williams

LTVA has rules...….

I needed a tank for where I wanted to park...…(far from the toilets)…….Yes it's a nice improvement...…

BUT in a Van …..you're either Shitting in the Kitchen or Eating in the Bathroom.....(thanks Paulette)

YES they inspect (any Non-RV vehicle parked away from the pit-toilets).....they expect to see a 3' blade valve on a manufactured RV Black tank.....10 + gallons in size

They don't look inside...…..

The build turned out great …..but considering all I'll skip the pics for now......I used an off-the-shelf 14 gallon tank (it was LOST on Christmas vacation on its way to Quartzsite)...….14"x8"x40" fit exactly under the frame of the newer Transit.....Hung with Hanger iron and All-thread…..I passed the dump valve THRU the van's side-wall for a "cool" appearance...…...the LOW van means some gymnastics are needed to attach the dump hose...………Added a label: Capacity 14 Gallons 3DRV Quartzsite AZ

DesertDogDoug…………...……..YMMV

cargovanconversion said:
What makes black water, was a no nonsense practical and personal statement. Rules from government agencies are a whole different issue. As you say, in some places even dishwater is considered black water; that means that my grey water tank suddenly became a black water tank.
BTW I never dismissed what is required. In reality, I will connect the fluids to my grey water tank and dispose of it that way. I just don't call it black water. Urine is usually sterile and diluted with water a perfect fertilizer.
And I agree, waste water should never be disposed of on the ground, no matter what rules there are.
Van Williams
In the cabin, my Government approved commercially made Separett 9020 makes reference to the pee as non black water when it is diverted into a optional water mix holding tank which you can used to water the garden. However it can be released into a gravel bed dispersion field alternatively. I can not see why Van Williams can not use a pee holding tank as an alternative for self containment laws.

I find it more criminal that we (first world) flush millions of gallons of fresh water down toilets day after day, when you live in a dry continent like Australia you learn to conserve water.

In the future wars will be fought over water.

abnorm said:
BUT in a Van …..you're either Shitting in the Kitchen or Eating in the Bathroom.....
Ew. You could cook outside.

But correct about many uses for the same space. You recycle that same small patch of floor space many times a day in a van. 

I worry about smells coming from a black tank in use in a van setup. In a water toilet, the p trap prevents odors from coming up out of the abyss. Maybe you are using a p trap and water?
-crofter

cargovanconversion said:
Fortunately I won't have to depend on the LTVA rules (yet), but I would say that it's time to change the rules again. Reducing the use and production of fertilizer and reducing the strain on waste treatment plants should be a good thing and be promoted.
Van Williams
 They would be much more inclined to do away the the LTVA all together rather than trying to reinvent how they handle waste. Besides the BLM is not the government agency who determines such things, instead they have standards they must be in compliance with. This stuff is under the oversite management of the EPA

crofter said:
Ew. You could cook outside.

But correct about many uses for the same space. You recycle that same small patch of floor space many times a day in a van. 

I worry about smells coming from a black tank in use in a van setup. In a water toilet, the p trap prevents odors from coming up out of the abyss. Maybe you are using a p trap and water?
-crofter

I have no black water tank, but connect the P-line to the grey water tank. BTW that tank can smell too.
I will make arrangements for a small fan with an exterior exhaust, if needed. Will adjust as needed.
Van Williams

maki2 said:
 They would be much more inclined to do away the the LTVA all together rather than trying to reinvent how they handle waste. Besides the BLM is not the government agency who determines such things, instead they have standards they must be in compliance with. This stuff is under the oversite management of the EPA

I think that most vandwellers or RVers are well aware of their impact on nature and will take steps to minimize that. But unfortunately a few make such a mess wherever they go. So reasonable rules are fine with me and necessary to make this way of life possible.
Van Williams

abnorm said:
BUT in a Van …..you're either Shitting in the Kitchen or Eating in the Bathroom.....(thanks Paulette)

Thanks for all the info, but especially that jewel.

My grandfather died in 1976 with no running water or bathroom by choice.  He thought it disgusting people would shit and eat in the same house. Van?  Grave spinning.  The inside wooden pisspot cabinet was for urine only.  Kids had to share a pot, no cabinet.

crofter said:
-crofter

Standard RV toilet with a foot pedal ……….mechanical trap/seal...…..snaps open and closed...…No odor problems………

FYI...….There's no "P-trap" in a standard residential toilet...…..just a water seal

Also, RV waste tanks have a vent pipe that usually goes to the roof to vent the tank gasses. If there is negative pressure inside the RV, fumes can be drawn inside. Before I flush, I try to remember to run the fantastic vent in reverse to blow air into the RV thereby creating a small positive pressure and no stink.

B and C said:
Also, RV waste tanks have a vent pipe that usually goes to the roof to vent the tank gasses.  If there is negative pressure inside the RV, fumes can be drawn inside.  Before I flush, I try to remember to run the fantastic vent in reverse to blow air into the RV thereby creating a small positive pressure and no stink.

That's a good idea, but I expect to live outside most of the time with the doors open. So it may have a limited application.
Van Williams

With the door and/or window open and the wind blowing can cause a negative pressure in the van. YMMV

Very nice woodwork.Cabinetry quality.I just don't understand the "why".You are still just shitting in a bucket.

1shemp said:
Very nice woodwork.Cabinetry quality.I just don't understand the "why".You are still just shitting in a bucket.

I don't really disagree. But things are rarely that black and white.
There are three things that come to mind:
  1. I love woodworking; just the feel of some highly sanded hardwood, makes my day.
  2. I am at a point in life, that I want to do things right the first time. When I have a nice looking van, why not a toilet built for a king :)
  3. I put a lot of effort in making these detailed videos, for others to realize that with a few tools and a little more time, one can achieve more than you would expect.
There is no wrong or right way to do things; everybody's needs are different. The wide variety of conversions is a testament of that.
Van Williams