DIY Separating Toilet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like the actual seperator is a one piece plastic part. What is your source for that?  Nice work on the wood cabinet.  -crofter

crofter said:
It looks like the actual seperator is a one piece plastic part. What is your source for that?  Nice work on the wood cabinet.  -crofter
Yes, it's a one-piece polyester part; got it on eBay Urine Diverter and the bad part was, that it cost about $140.00. Looks well made, a tiny bit small, but the right size for a round toilet seat (not elongated). It came from the UK, had no import taxes and received it within one week. Good experience.

Van Williams

Here is another look at "version 2" model in use, designed for the bucket method.  -crofter

crofter said:
Found some less expensive separators under $50 but not as heavy duty as yours.  -crofter

There are many ways to achieve the same goal. I think, that I have shown multiple options in an earlier 'design' video.
My intention was to create something that looked like an ordinary toilet. Both would do the same thing.
The $140.00 that I paid was not cheap, but it looks very nice. I hope, I can keep it that way.
Van Williams

Your design does look great, and the wood closet will be sturdy and nice looking. Kudos!    -crofter

cargovanconversion said:
There are many ways to achieve the same goal. I think, that I have shown multiple options in an earlier 'design' video.
My intention was to create something that looked like an ordinary toilet. Both would do the same thing.
The $140.00 that I paid was not cheap, but it looks very nice. I hope, I can keep it that way.
Van Williams
I think you did great for the money and skill.
I just paid over a $1500 AU for a Seperatt https://www.separett.com/en-gb/our-products/toilets/urine-diverting-composting-toilets composting toilet I fitted to the cabin so it would comply with local laws here.
Again nice work.

rokguy said:
I think you did great for the money and skill.
I just paid over a $1500 AU for a Seperatt https://www.separett.com/en-gb/our-products/toilets/urine-diverting-composting-toilets composting toilet I fitted to the cabin so it would comply with local laws here.
Again nice work.
Thank you so much. Australia is close to my heart and could have been my home, but regulations sometimes go a little far. However AUD1500 is still better than a septic tank and leach field :)
Van Williams

Sofisintown said:
I never understood the fascination with the 5 gallon bucket. In all my years, I never sat down to "produce" 5 gallons of doo-doo. It is not likely that anyone will keep the goodies there until it fills up, right?
I am making my contraption using a 2 gallon bucket and a diverter made from the top side of a plastic bottle. That will leave more space for the P-jug that is used more often. I will put some pictures here when I'm done. I'm trying to make it usable without taking too much real estate in the van.
Would love to see some images. In my case, the 5 gallon bucket is purely out of convenience. Locally acquired and cheap. Meanwhile I have adjusted it to the size that fits my toilet and maybe even reduce that; it's probably 2.5-3 gal now. I like that it is black and virtually invisible. Space is not an issue, as the fluids will flow into my gray water tank.
Wish you well.
Van Williams

cargovanconversion said:
Space is not an issue, as the fluids will flow into my gray water tank.
Wish you well.
Van Williams
FYI - this turns the grey water tank into a black water tank.

B and C said:
FYI - this turns the grey water tank into a black water tank.
There could be a whole different discussion about that. Pee is sterile and is a good fertilizer that can be used anywhere in a dilluted form. The combination of solids and fluids, is what makes a black water tank. The whole idea behind a separating toilet is to avoid those issues. In the end you will still have to dispose of it, so it may be just semantics.
Van Williams

"The combination of solids and fluids, is what makes a black water tank."

that statement is simply not true. ok so you blew off the urine as black water but in some areas even dish water is considered black water.

also what about the areas that require you to contain ALL waste water black and grey where you must have tanks as these toilets do not qualify. I am seeing these rules more and more, if you have no containment tanks you simply cannot camp there overnight, these rules even apply to tent campers. LTVA's and National Parks are 2 but I have also seen these rules in National Forests.

if that toilet works for you great, however please don't dismiss what is required just because it doesn't fit your agenda.

so to summarize to camp in some areas you must have containment tanks and dumping of any waste water on the ground is not permitted.

highdesertranger

What makes black water, was a no nonsense practical and personal statement. Rules from government agencies are a whole different issue. As you say, in some places even dishwater is considered black water; that means that my grey water tank suddenly became a black water tank.
BTW I never dismissed what is required. In reality, I will connect the fluids to my grey water tank and dispose of it that way. I just don't call it black water. Urine is usually sterile and diluted with water a perfect fertilizer.
And I agree, waste water should never be disposed of on the ground, no matter what rules there are.
Van Williams

The traditional look of a toilet is not all that important. But what is important is how comfortable it is to use. Some cultures use holes in the floor you squat over. So if you get used to that then the height of a 2 gallon bucket will work nicely. But not everyone has the ability to balance or support themselves on bent knees. In those situations the height of a 5 gallon bucket or an even taller toilet helps for someone with mobility issues. Then there is also the issue of a person's height and weight which can influence what size and strength of toilet is needed. Plus there are issues with how much weight can a vehicle carry and also how large of a space is available for fitting a toilet into a vehicle There is also the question of do you need something that creates a "self contained" RV.

There is no one best solution for everyone but fortunately there are many options to choose from that will all get the job done including a very attractive, solid wood, cabinet upon which to put a comfortable toilet seat and put waste containers inside of. In this case I will admire the quality of the job even though I won't be adopting it for my own build due to its weight and the amount of labor involved in building it. But mostly because I want to have the option for complying with being self contained as required by the long term BLM LTVA lands.

I fully agree with most of what you said. I think that what I like most of vanlife and conversions is, that anybody can do what they want or need. That's why you see so many different layouts and designs. With regard to my toilet, it's build as a standard sized toilet and the bucket size adjusted to the toilet. It started as a 5 gallon; now, there is not more than 2.5 gal left :)
I'm a bit confused about the LTVA requirements ('Self-contained units are those with a  permanently affixed wastewater holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity'). My toilet will be connected (the fluids) to a 15 gal tank, permanently installed under the vehicle. That would conform to the rules, doesn't it?
Personally, I'm not worried about that, as it's unlikely that I'll be using those facilities, but you're the second one that brings it up.
Van Williams

Your toilet does not have the feces going into a permanently installed holding tank that can be emptied into one of the waste dumping stations. Therefore it won't qualify as being a self contained RV. What they want to see is drain lines coming out of your waste tanks that can go into the big underground waste tanks and into a sewage treatment system.

While you hear a lot of people saying stuff about diapers going into the trash the rules for municipal waste are that feces in diapers are to be flushed down the toilet. The city I am currently in also requires that people flush dog poop down the toilets. In addition they also do not allow feces to be put into the compost waste collection as that is only for waste that can composted and immediately after it is composted is acceptable to be put onto food crops.

The BLM inspectors who approve what RVs can go onto the BLM LTVA lands won't be buying into what you personally have to say about your toilet being self contained as it does not comply with the standards of "self contained" that they use.