DIY physicals

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryd

Reaction score
In the interest of wasting time at the doctor's office, we've learned to do basic physical exams to avoid small problems turning into big ones. That's not to say that we don't visit the doc from time to time but I think it's more effective to track data with our vitals and have a log to bring in when we do see a medical professional.  Here is our supply list:

- Blood pressure cuff. Would recommend splurging on a slightly nicer one as the cheapo ones are all over the place as far as readings.
- Pulse oximeter. You can get these pretty cheaply and are a good indicator of your blood oxygen saturation and heart rate (HR). Heart rates swing based on activity levels but having a high / low range is useful.
- Stethoscopes. Based on some stethoscope reviews I read, I ended up spring for a Littmann brand stethoscope (cardiology III to be exact). The thing is a beast to learn to use but I feel pretty comfortable with basic sounds now and it's fun to use to "diagnose" other noises I find on the road.

Anyone else going off the healthcare deep end? It's sometimes hard to find a doc who will take high-deductible insurance so this seems like the next best thing.

Most doctors will take cash. But I do agree, blood pressure monitoring is a good thing to stay up on if your that old.

We concentrate on eating healthy foods, drinking clean water, exercise which at this point amounts to long walks and homeopathic medicine. I do have a light to use on my son's ears, as he issues with that. I believe that preventive medicine is about preventing. I became very interested is "longevity" having meant and talked with several people in the 80s. I also know what wiped out family members, and have been planning around that for some time now. Of course, I could hit by a truck.............. It has become a game of sorts to fend off the grim reaper for as long as possible!

There have been some bad experiences with traditional medicine, thus my diving into alternative medical care, also used for our pets.

Taking responsibility for one's own health is a plus no matter in what direction one uses to do it.

Blood sugar is also easy and cheap to check.  If you actually need to check multiple times per day it adds up quickly.  To check once a month is not expensive.  

Weigh yourself.  Once a month is not too hard.

At the doctor's office they check your pressure once.  If you do it every hour and write it down you will have a much better picture.  It will be all over the place.  That's what people do.  One night when I wasn't sleeping anyway I found my pressure peaking at 2 AM to 3 AM.  Then I set the clock to check it again.  Now some of the blood pressure pills I was taking in the morning are prescribed for half in the morning, half in the evening.

Keep a written record.  Trends become clear.

Weight said:
Most doctors will take cash. But I do agree, blood pressure monitoring is a good thing to stay up on if your that old.

A rise in blood pressure may be indicative of an issue that the body is dealing with as well. Usually there are other signs, like pain, that are present. Heart & cardio issues aren't always age related, and if the blood pressure gets to a point a stroke becomes a very real possibility, and that is most certainly a life changer.

If you have asthma, an incentive spirometer should be right at the top of your supplies. And have a good response plan for your asthma so you don't have to go to urgent care or the ER for an exacerbation. An SVN machine would be helpful. I have all of the three above and I still ended up a night in the ER a couple of months ago.

Next time I see my PCP, I'm going to get a prophylactic prescription for a solu-medrol dose pack (a course of steroids for asthma).
Ted

These days as my immortality of youth have long passed, I have a supply of 'pee strips' where I can monitor protein, glucose and ph levels. (cheap and easy indicator of kidney issues).
Also have a good quality blood pressure cuff.
Most recent addition (after buying and returning an expired lab test kit), is an electronic tester for cholesterol...separate test strips give 'total', 'HDL', and 'triglycerides'. With those numbers, there is a free app (iPhone & Android) that calculates 'LDL' according to the more accurate method developed by Johns Hopkins University.
Having this info not only helps as to 'when' to see a doctor, but also checks the accuracy of any tests and labs he/she may perform.
Mistakes at the lab, though rare, can happen. I see it as an adjunct to the '2nd opinion'.

Johnny b, could you give a name or link for the electronic tester for cholesterol? I have had bad reactions to statins yet every time I test high they ignore that and prescribe them again. I know there are food/lifestyle changes that affect it and would love to be able to see what is working and what isn't. Thanks!

Nice topic.

I prefer lifestyle prevention to testing. I avoid doctors’ offices like the plague. Spent my childhood in and out of the ER for asthma—no more!

It’s been over 10 years since I’ve seen a doc. No meds except occasional ibuprofen for muscle strain. I’m 55.

That said, directlabs.com is a great option for ordering tests. I get my D3 level tested every couple of years. Check blood pressure at a pharmacy.

I eat a high nutrient density **** diet to prevent obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s. So far, so good. Just lost my carb-loving sister to cancer at age 49, and lots of other relatives to the aforementioned diseases.

Therapeutic levels of Vitamin D3 eliminates my asthma symptoms completely. Formerly, I was on daily steroidal inhalers.

Full body movement like freestyle dance, gardening and hiking keeps my muscles strong and my joints limber. I can still do a full squat. :)

anewbiewannabe said:
Johnny b, could you give a name or link for the electronic tester for cholesterol? I have had bad reactions to statins yet every time I test high they ignore that and prescribe them again. I know there are food/lifestyle changes that affect it and would love to be able to see what is working and what isn't. Thanks!

Here's the company site and the tester I got:

http://www.ptsdiagnostics.com/cardiochek-home-use.html

Available on Amazon. (use Bob's link)

johnny b said:
Here's the company site and the tester I got:

http://www.ptsdiagnostics.com/cardiochek-home-use.html

Available on Amazon. (use Bob's link)

Being a medical laboratory scientist I need to chime in. These devices that test your blood for glucose, cholesterol, etc are excellent tools if used properly. Just be sure that you follow manufacturer's directions. There is a check that needs to be run periodically called Quality Control. Be sure you perform this check in the frequency stated in the directions. This way you will know your results are viable and you can trust them. Otherwise, it's garbage in, garbage out!

terryd said:
In the interest of wasting time at the doctor's office, we've learned to do basic physical exams to avoid small problems turning into big ones. That's not to say that we don't visit the doc from time to time but I think it's more effective to track data with our vitals and have a log to bring in when we do see a medical professional.  Here is our supply list:
Anyone else going off the healthcare deep end? It's sometimes hard to find a doc who will take high-deductible insurance so this seems like the next best thing.
There are many medical conditions that can be caught in their developing stage thru periodic lab work, way before there's enough damage to present symptoms. Well worth the time to look for medical "fairs" & such, at least for basic annual blood/urine tests, & keep the records.

Latest posts