DIY: Mini Solar 'generator'

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They may well be top build-quality units, but given the low AH capacity vs the price, coupled with short lifespan, I don't consider them good value compared to the 8-10 years a pair of GCs offers at $1 per AH @12V.

Like buying a new Mercedes Sprinter to convert, as opposed to adding a high top to a Chevy Express extended.

And yes the generator term is fraudulently deceptive unless decent solar panels are included.

If the market was well informed these companies would lose 95% of their customers.

No offense meant to you personally.

These smaller DIY power packs are just one way to do it, on a budget. 

Right now mine is sitting out there on the picnic table under the canopy, powering my Mobley. The 20 watt panel will run it all day, and there is plenty of 'juice' in the motorcycle battery to run it for many days with no solar input, I'm sure. The Mobley pulls very little current. 

Snoozing pooch not included.

IMG_20180612_125203 (Small).jpgIMG_20180612_130530 (Small).jpgIMG_20180612_130615 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180612_125203 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180612_125203 (Small).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20180612_130530 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180612_130530 (Small).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20180612_130615 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180612_130615 (Small).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 11
No worries, I rarely take offence to anything. I'm too old to care anymore. LoL. But, I hate to see people get steered away from certain solutions including DIY like this thread that may fit very well for their needs, even a Kodiak or Yeti. You're splitting hairs and a person can't make a decision just based on price per AH calculations. There are many more things to consider.

I don't consider my Kodiak a low AH device or one with a short lifespan. Cost? Yep, you sure could build a component system for less money but as I said, there's many more requirements that can go into a decision other than just dollars.

I spent many months doing research into the equipment I wanted for my van and why. Given it took 5 months alone for it to arrive I had plenty of time.

As for the nomenclature, I don't really care what people call them. Most including the DIY'ers, companies like Renogy, Inergy and most all the others seem to use Solar Generator. Doesn't mean they are trying to scam people.

We have a "diesel generator" sitting in the back of our office but I don't think anyone thinks it generates diesel fuel. Names don't matter as much as personal research. I don't think anyone believes a Solar Generator is a magic little box that generates solar energy all by itself, at least not if they spend 10 minutes reading.

Believe me many do, and don't know enough to understand.

A generator creates electricity from some other power source.

These - even those without panels - get marketed as being a quiet and more ecological *replacement* for carrying a generator. Many people have posted experiences of the RV place telling them they can run their whole rig off grid, sometimes even aircon.

The primary function of such powerpacks is **storage**, yet nowhere do you see AH @12V capacity at the 20-hour discharge rate, the standard to allow apples-to-apples comparison.

Why? Because they don't want people to realize how puny they are compared to a $200 pair of GCs.

And few can get fast charged, from a decent alternator setup or a 60A charger,

even though the internal chemistry can easily deal with rates at 1C or above, almost all designed for weekend campers, those with overnight access to mains power.

And maybe some units use LFP, which is long lived. But all those I've seen are LiPo or NMC, which you'd be lucky to get 1/20th the number of cycles lifetime.

Finally the fact you can't even replace the internal battery after your year or two's usage is up, which would cost maybe $200 even allowing for a double markup.

No, throw away all the other gadgets, buy a whole new unit?

Sorry, I call that a scam.

Yes maybe some example is tge exception that proves the rule. . .

You're way over analyzing it and while some probably fall into the category you describe others do not such as the Kodiak. But none the less, it all boils down to individual requirements pure and simple. You seem to not take that into account. While I am a weekend camper, I never have access to mains. I can easily go two or three days with no recharge. I can also pump in 600w of solar if I want or need to. Lots of people successfully use solar generators in our vans and other type of vehicles they camp in, live in and work in. Have we all been scammed? I guess according to you we have. Maybe we should all get rid of them, I mean why keep something that works perfectly for so many of us.

OK, that's all good, maybe your Kodiak is that exception.

The term I still can't abide, especially when panels aren't even in the picture. A couple questions:

What specific model is yours? Do you know its specific chemistry? "Lithium-ion" being an overall umbrella catch-all for dozens. . .

AH capacity @12V?

It may be worth your starting a specific thread touting that model, documenting your research with links, discussing your usage, comparing to others in the same capacity / price range, etc.

If you feel like it, I'm sure would be interesting and useful for others. Sorry to OP for the thread hijack.

I'll say this and then stop with the hijack. Sorry OP. That's kind of my point, doesn't really matter if its a Kodiak, Goal Zero, DIY or whatever. You are pooh-poohing an entire class of product as a scam or kool-aid drinkers when you really don't know that much about them. Again it all boils down to individual needs, requirements and budget.

Inergy only makes one model that can be had for $1500 (yes, expensive depending on how you look at it). The Kodiak has a 90Ah Lithium NMC battery at 12.6v. Battery life is 2000 cycles. 1,500 watts continuous pure sine wave, 3,000 watts starting surge. Charging is max 600w input. Externally expandable with any AGM battery(s). I have a 100Ah AGM hanging on mine. Can charge quickly from solar, AC or car 12v.

Lots of info on their site if you care too look.

In my mind, the subject is about all these little magic boxes that power phones and laptops and misc items from the magic of high-speed photons....

I had one reason to build this little box: I wanted one on a budget, and I already had some of the parts.

And I had one reason for taking pictures of it and posting it here: To show those traveling on a budget, and handy with a few basic tools, that they have a decent alternative if they can do without all the bells and whistles. 

The topic IS portable solar power packs, solar generators, 'go-boxes'....as far as I'm concerned.

I also take issue calling a storage battery, inverter and a charger a "generator" It doesn't generate any electricity. If you only need less than 100 amp hour capacity, I do not have any issue with anyone spending $1500 on one. But don't advertise "generator" unless it includes a solar panel or fuel powered engine.

I forgot to mention this thing is weatherproof!

(raining lightly here in Eagle Nest, NM)

IMG_20180613_143413 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180613_143413 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180613_143413 (Small).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 14
we need to stop this back and forth bickering. if someone already has one of these units it does no good to make them feel bad about their choice. highdesertranger

I also made one, but it kinda smaller capacity, 15ah or so... Luv it!

I also luv how your waterproofing is actually a weather station!
If it's dry, it's probably sunny and warm.
If it's wet, it's raining.
If it's white, it's snowing.
If it's rolling, the winds are extremely high, seek shelter!
(Sorry, that is the "Old Boy Scout" in me coming out, lol!)

Btw, if it feels good out, leave it out!

Good job, Sturg!

I want to thank Weight's post. I complained to the seller about my little power storage box being called a generator and they took the name out of the title. And thanks TX I want to build one of those to use here. Anything special I need to know or was it pretty much easy to put together?

I want to know what kind of battery i need for 50w solar panel??

Headache said:
I complained to the seller about my little power storage box being called a generator and they took the name out of the title.
Huzzah! Kudos to you man, striking a blow against Truthiness!

Norene said:
I want to know what kind of battery i need for 50w solar panel??
Maybe 20-60AH? True deep cycle, flooded unless you really need sealed.

Will barely run anything much, recharge screen gadgets, a few LED maybe a small fan?

Headache said:
I....I want to build one of those to use here.  Anything special I need to know or was it pretty much easy to put together?

Very easy DIY...you could scale it up or down depending on your needs.

Again, the one I built and am using now is mainly for powering and charging small electronic devices.

I want to make one of these with a 20-40ah lifepo4 battery and a 50 watt panel. What charge controller will be good enough? Does one really need an mppt controller for this? Thanks for any info.

Latest posts