Disbursed Camping on Public Lands Other than BLM and NF

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
National monuments, state forests, wildlife conservation areas. Are these any different than BLM or national forests for disbursed camping? Do any of them have any particular negative aspects?

National forest regulations are pretty much the same across the country. There are some areas with extra restrictions and rules but most of them allow dispersed camping for 14 days in a row.

All of the others especially if they are state managed may have completely different regulations. We've stayed in Pennsylvania state forests which sometimes requires a trip to the forest office to get a free pass.  To camp on ReCreation Land in Ohio you must download a free pass. A pass is not needed to camp at State Fishing Lakes in Kansas. A Discovery Pass -$30.00 a year - is required to camp at specific spots on DNR and WDFW lands in Washington.  A yearly pass, available online for $15.00, is good for camping but only for 14 days a year on Arizona Trust Lands.

So you can't count of the rules ever being the same from state to state. Many state forests and wildlife conservation areas do not allow camping. Finding the regulations may involve some research and digging through the state websites but when you find a good spot it can be well worth the effort because a lot of people do not realize all of the opportunities that are out there and you can find some real gems.

National Monuments are run by NPS, NFS, or BLM. Most don't allow dispersed camping, but at least one does in certain areas. Some wildlife refuges do allow dispersed camping.

I second what TonyandKaren said as far as it differs from area to area. Internet searches are great and I have learned to call them. I don't think people do this much anymore and most of the Rangers, overseers, workers want to talk, give valuable info.

https://freecampsites.net/ is always worth checking. In some areas there are state maintained hunting or equine camps that allow anyone to camp, at least during the offseason. Sometimes there is a cheap permit you have to buy such as in Louisiana. They will generally have a website with all of this information, but you will have to do some digging or as mentioned above call/visit a ranger station and ask.

the only National Park that I know of that allows dispersed vehicle camping is Death Valley. some NWR and some NM do, you would have to check with them on an individual basis to find out. some state lands allow it again check first. highdesertranger

Seems I've heard of Corps of Engineers ,but can't recall details ,any one else know about this?

Most Corp of Engineer parks have a fee for camping. If you have a National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands senior or access pass you'll be entitled to half priced camping - https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

There are a few COE campgrounds that have free camping but I haven't been able to find a complete list anywhere. You can check the lakes around where you want to go. Look for the recreation areas that have camping and do not have electricity then check for a dollar sign after the name. The ones without the dollar sign should be free. COE link - http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/camping.cfm