Disability question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanman2300

Reaction score
A number of years ago I fractured my spine, wrist and ankle. It 
was somewhat gruesome because my foot became totally detached skeletally speaking. The person I was with lost it so much I had to take the phone and call the ambulance myself then rotate the foot back to normal so as to calm the person with me.

Now those injuries are coming back to roost. My foot is slightly off kilter so I can't walk or stand gor long periods of time and my back is hurting enough that my sleep pattern is all messed up. I was also sent to a therapist originally for depression and now have an added diagnosis of PTSD.

Finally here is my question: should I file for disability and what are my chances of getting it?

I'm currently on it and had a relatively very easy experience getting on it, which from what I understand isn't typical. I had lyme disease that went undiagnosed for years and wreaked havoc on all my joints. If working is an issue or no longer a possibility I'd certainly apply for it. The more medical records you have the better. If they can't make a determination from your medical records, they'll send you to one of their own Drs for an exam and make the determination off of that. Doesn't hurt to start the process, I'd try it on your own the first round, and if you get denied, look into hiring a social security lawyer, seems using a lawyer improves your success rate ten fold. Not sure what they charge, i think a percentage of your first 6 to 12 checks.

Start the process. You won't know until you do.

Typically, you're going to get turned down the first time and it will take another 6 months. When you do finally get it you will get retroactive payment from when you first filed, up to a certain number of months or years.

Even though the USPS, a federal operations, FORCED me to retire because they felt I was disabled, it took a year for for SSDI to approve my claim.

And it sounds like your physical ailments won't be getting any better. Plan for your future by doing this now.

Definitely start the process, my ex got approved first time through, and it sounds like you're about where she was at

Thank you for your replies. I also found I have one thing going against me but also one thing in my favor. The good is I'm older than 55 considered near retirement age. The bad is I have a college degree. Any thoughts on the weight of having a degree vs the weight of being over 55?

I purchased this book Nolo's Guide to Social Security Disability and how to keep It.  This one . . . http://www.nolo.com/products/nolos-guide-to-social-security-disability-qss.html 

This will really help answer most of your questions.  After reading this book I filed and received my first check at month 6 after quitting work.  SSDI does not pay you for the 1st 5 months.

Your degree only matters if SSDI thinks it will help you do some kind of work.  You have to make them believe you are unable to do any work whatsoever.

All answers above, true, I have a college degree worked high paying jobs, they saw me doing lower paying less stressjobs as trying, I don't think degree wghs against u at all.

On the internet is the legal criteria judges have to use in determine a case it is called a five step process. Best case scenario as far as legal requirements to be eligible a physical disability, a mental one and a childhood devellopmental. 

Create tons of paper, they like doctors over counslors, get letters from everyone u can, call soon and schedule over the phone interview like they said above this is when back pay starts. U don't need all the dates and stuff can get that later

Good fortune to u

I have a degree, but had worked for the PO for 15 years. That made my degree obsolete and useless.

lol...my college degree is in Philosophy, I wonder what they'd think that qualifies me for.
(Not applying for SSDI, just a commentary on the uselessness of some college degrees.)

Thanks for all the good advice. I've worked hard all my life so I never thought I'd be filing for disability hence I really don't know much about it. The education thing really made me worry and I was finding it ironic in a way. I had to fully support myself and pay full tuition right from square one at 18. That meant full time job and full time college. The irony was that I worked my butt off so long ago to only have it possibly squash me know. Glad it isn't true!

It took me about a year and a half to get SSDI and I'll give you the best advice I ever got at that time; being physically disabled can be harder to prove but mental issues especially with at least 5 years of documentation are harder to be turned down for.

Depending on what kind of aid you are getting now you may be put on SSI first. If you are while in the process for SSDI and are eventually approved they will repay SSI with your SSDI retroactive pay.

I have PTSD as well. However, unless you are glaringly schizophrenic they probably won't approve you at first. You damn near have to have lost body parts(yours got reattached) and ready for commitment to get first time approval it seems like. What they usually do is turn you down based on physical ailments. I and a few others noticed this; they had completely ignored the mental health part of our applications so when I turned in my appeal I answered their additional questionnaire and when it asked why I was filing an appeal I notated that they had completely ignored my mental health section of the application. They also sent me to their shrink. Nine months later I had a big check in my hands. Too bad I was a dumbass about money and wasn't in a position to live in a vehicle. Ah well.

Don't base yours on mine though. It took years and a lot of people to finally determine I had been surviving with almost lifelong mental issues and PTSD. I didn't use a lawyer(they take around 30%) and didn't use the book but I've heard it's very helpful so it can't hurt to at least see if a library may have one.

Also be wary of "traps". I was sent to a doctor for the physical evaluation part and when I arrived at the building the doctor was in it was up a huge flight of stairs and no elevator. I called Social Security asking about this and they said they didn't know(I called BS, the receptionist at the Dr.s office said they've told SS this many times and they still keep sending people there that can't go up stairs) and actually asked me to scoot up the stairs on my ass. Let's just say my colorful metaphors got me another appointment at a building where I didn't have to toss my dignity to the curb to be checked out.

As everyone is saying, start the process. I worked for years while considered 80% disabled though the VA. I finally listened to my doctors and went to the 100% level several years ago. Even with the VA rating me fully disabled it took 2 years to get SSD to come on board. I also had to hire an attorney with "years" of medical records most from the military and VA. Once I got my hearing it was a slam dunk, as SSDs own doctors and experts were fully favorable towards my case. I think they honestly just deny any case that isn't an "automatic" condition. Most people will give up and not fight it. So glad I made the decision. It's a lot easier to handle my medical conditions without the added stress. Good luck.

vanman2300 said:
Thank you for your replies. I also found I have one thing going against me but also one thing in my favor. The good is I'm older than 55 considered near retirement age. The bad is I have a college degree. Any thoughts on the weight of having a degree vs the weight of being over 55?

College degree won't factor in as long as they deem you are unable to do the work that your degree allows.  I have two degrees, and was much younger so you could consider it a double hit against me.  For example, can you reasonably do office work?  One of my conditions cause extreme sensitivity to light and sound, that knocked any office work off the table, while another required that I have a climate controlled environment in which I was allowed to sit for most of my work ie office work.  Literally, the terms "other than working in an air-conditioned bat cave" there were no jobs that could support my disabilities, were used by the vocational expert.  My age, at the time, was a big hurdle but it was easy enough to prove that I could not remain gainfully employed.

What kept me from following through back in 2001 was the belief that lawyers take 30%. I wish I would have known that they get 30% of retroactive pay only---not out of every check. The cap is $6k---verify that's for SSDI too to be sure. This is according to the paralegal that filled out my appeal paperwork this year. Now instead of SSDI I have to apply for SSI.

First evaluations are a joke. At my mental eval the assistant told me they usually take 3 or 4 hours but mine would only take 30-45 minutes. :huh: The psych didn't ask any questions about any of my conditions and I was so nervous I didn't think to manage the appointment by spouting off my history. Physical was a joke too. Paralegal told me they usually are.

I knew a lot about adulting but nobody ever told me to keep meticulous medical records dating back to infancy if possible. Also, getting copies of records every year is a good idea---then you know earlier that you need a new doctor or you have a keeper. Won't go into my personal here cause it still makes my blood boil, but doctors don't all take good notes for your files. Then there's the doctors who refuse to fill out forms for SS or neglect to send even just records in though they are required to by law, so I'm told.

When we hold regular conversations most of us will say "fine" when asked how we are---don't play down anything with SS people. I've been acting fine for so many years around other people that it's hard for me to be honest about how I'm really doing even when I need to.

Good luck!

vanman2300 said:
was somewhat gruesome because my foot became totally detached skeletally speaking. The person I was with lost it so much I had to take the phone and call the ambulance myself then rotate the foot back to normal so as to calm the person with me.

Now those injuries are coming back to roost. My foot is slightly off kilter so I can't walk or stand gor long periods of time and my back is hurting enough that my sleep pattern is all messed up. I was also sent to a therapist originally for depression and now have an added diagnosis of PTSD.

Finally here is my question: should I file for disability and what are my chances of getting it?

Yes by all means file for  SSC disability. However the process are time consuming long. It may take form 6 months to 1 year for their response or approval. You do need an MD and paper works on all medications, treatments and procedures which takes 1 to 2 years from  injury date. Be careful for those impairment ratings bc your disability are based on it. You will need at least 18% impairment or higher to receive SSC disability and you cant have that without "surgeries" ofc. Basically, after 1 year or more of treatments, medications, physical therapies and surgeries you have reach MMI (Maximum Medical Improvement) or shall we say that, there is nothing more you can do  to improve your physical, mental and medical conditions to improve your health to 100%.  IN addition your benefits are based on that MMI % also. Get ready for a fight... 

I myself had 2 disk replacements, laminactomy and  fusion with instruments (6 titanium screws and titanium rods). I gave up ALL pain medications and patches, ALL anti depressants or ALL Rx meds. They did not help me and the addictions are overwhelming. I now take over the counter anti acids and smoke weed instead. over all it took me 15 + years to get to this point and i am  getting ready to go NOMAD now. I am free... 

Take care of your health and if there is anything i can do to help answer or tell you, please let me know. God bless .. .    It is normal for the gov. to reject your applications btw but DO NOT give up if that happens. Consider it their "LEMON." You just needsto  appeal it or refile again immediately bc of the time process and etc. In my case it was a one shot deal bc of my surgeries.

This is my post from another thread on qualifying for SSDI:

For SSDI, you have to be completely disabled and unable to work at all. If you are physically or mentally able to work, just because you can't get a job is not gonna move them. And, applying for and getting benefits can be problematic if you don't have all your ducks in a row-which is hard if you're disabled. Especially with the expensive medical documentation needed. You cannot apply for benefits until you've been out of work for five months and if you are expected to be totally and completely disabled for at least a year. After 24 months on SSDI, you will qualify for Medicare, Part A and Part B. SSI has many of the same rules but not all, so I'm not going to go there for now.

I'm an RN and did extensive health coaching and chronic condition management (diabetes, CAD, COPD, asthma and many other chronic and often life threatening and limiting conditions). This is where I would direct my patients who didn't know where to start. It's somewhat complicated, but all the information is there. If you aren't able to grasp some of it, perhaps you can have a relative or friend to help you out. This page gives you the information on disabling conditions and the parameters. If you fit these parameters and have documentation to prove it, usually approval is relatively easy and rapid.

Remember, attorneys who help you file for SSDI have a vested interest in dragging out your case as long as possible. Their fees are a percentage of the lump sum award and the longer it takes for you to get your benefits, the more money they make. I know multiple people who applied on their own, most with help from non-attorneys and received their benefits without undue delay. Make it easy for your Social Security case worker. If you fit the parameters and can provide the documentation, do it in the order of what is listed, so they can just check off the info needed. Social Security now has a wonderful tool for consumers to use-you can upload information to them directly.

So here is where Social Security starts in order to determine if you are disabled or not. They make it somewhat difficult for laymen to find this info.

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professio...stings.htm

vanman2300 said:

You could file and if you do please mention both the physical and emotional problems and how they prevent you from doing any work. Also if you currently have a job and they find out you are working at all (even volunteer work) they wont approve you. I have helped a couple of people get on SSI before and it's a long process (can take up to two years to get it) but the great thing is your first check will include backpay to the date you applied. Good luck!  

link above already broken :(

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

My ex got on SSDI, it really wasn't hard in her case, bad back, so she couldn't stand for long periods, COPD, clinical depression, and mild cerebral palsy
she was sent to a couple of SSDI selected doctors for verification, but she was not charged for that

A coworker's longtime partner had diabetes since he was six, and when we talked, he was about 80% blind. He was turned down for SSDI. A woman who was eating lunch at the table behind me turned around and apologized for butting in, but she suggested calling your local congresspeople. Ed did that, and it worked. Try it, it sure can't hurt.