Disability question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once heard of a case where a woman applied because she was a parapalegic and they turned her down telling her she could get a job in an office typing with a mouth apparatus.

I was approved right away. If you are over 55 (I am) you just have to be unable to do your normal profession. I have a degree and had over 20 years as a computer programmer. I did contact my congressman's office and they followed my application through the process. I applied the week after I quit working and was approved four months later. Pay kicks in at six months and Medicare kicks in at two years.

I supplies them with a ton of medical records. I went to all my doctors and got copies and sent them as part of my claim. Don't expect your doctors office to make it happen, you need to be diligent.

Your congressperson is your secret weapon. Use their office, ask for help, follow their advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start the process... even if you are denied (as a very high percentage are, the first time) when you are approved the benefits revert to your first application date! I also go to another website where most are on or need to be on disability... and in general they need to hire a lawyer before they are approved.... sounds to me like it's built into the system to avoid having to process claims? IDK.

Good wishes.

vanman2300 said:
Thanks for all the good advice. I've worked hard all my life so I never thought I'd be filing for disability hence I really don't know much about it.

Lots of important points here. Find out if you have a local agency that helps people with disabilities. There is a non profit in my town that helps disabled people, you don't need gov't approval to get help from them. They can answer some of your questions.

Yes, the gov't LOVES a paper trail, that's how they make their decisions. There are 2 basic disability categories: medical and non-medical. Both doctors AND therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, all count. Non-medical disability pertains to mental health. PTSD is a non-medical condition. The intensity of PTSD varies from person to person. Your therapist writes notes every you time you see him/her. Gov't will get notes from all your docs and therapists.

Seeing doctors helps too. Your case was documented from the beginning. You rode an ambulance to the hospital. You will fill out tons of paperwork from Soc Security. Seeing docs generates notes. Tests pertaining to your physical condition are useful documentation of your disability. SS will want those.

Here is one of the very most important things: ask your local disability advocacy group, if there is one, WHO THE BEST SOCIAL SECURITY ATTORNEY is in your area! Getting the best attorney is key to winning your case. If you know other people who got approved for disability where you live, ask them who won their case. Get the best lawyer!

You do not pay the atty a penny up front. In my state the atty gets 25 per cent, the legal limit, of the sum of the money awarded to you when you win your case. The amount awarded will vary, depending on your earnings and how long it takes for their decision. Atty's take cases they think they will win. If they lose the case they do not get paid.

Call for an appt now. May take weeks to get in. Get the ball rolling. If you do not have a disability advocacy group in your town, find out if there is one in a big city near you. Call them, ask them to answer any questions you may have. If necessary drive to meet with them. In my town there is a non profit agency with advocates who spend hours with a disabled person, assisting them in many ways. This is a free service.

This is also very important: attorneys give FREE consultations over the phone. Think of any questions you have and info you want to tell them. Call different attorneys and get your free 10 minutes from each of them. Hope this helps. And yes, being older is important. SS figures it's a downhill slope after age 55.

Latest posts