Dingo in a camper will eat your baby.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You woulda learnt if you hadn’t been chasing them pigtails around so much in 3rd grade.

Numptie = Noun, see also Notso. Someone not that smart and in need of constant advice on daily living tasks, like, staying out of danger. A term most useful to describe with disdain, someone who does not respect the cunning of a dingo or the danger inherent in ignoring the possibility of Drop Bears in the Australian bush.

oh ok in that case I have run into a few Numptie's. mostly city folk. highdesertranger

There are variations on dingos all over the world. Yellar dogs... Carolina dogs being native to the SE US. They lived on the edge of settlements in symbiosis with native Americans, feeding off the garbage pile and acting as an early warning system. Occasionally a pup was taken as a pet. I had one for a while but it never bonded with the family. I could run it off leash on trails under voice command. It had some behaviors I haven't seen in other dogs. It would go to any little rise and use the height to scan the area in front of us. In Winter it would sniff out and scarf particular dead leaves off the side of the trail at the rate of one every few minutes. I guess if there's nothing else to eat dried leaves will fill a belly.

Ticklebellly said:
Some disbelievers argue that some drop bear attacks are just a frightened koala falling out of its tree in its normal, eucalyptus oil induced drugged state.   However, it is the concentration on massive damage to victim's necks that is not explained.   The sounds made by Koalas in the night will have you believing in Drop Bears, quick smart.   A Bigfoot would not have has a chance against an adult Drop Bear.

I love it and am waiting for the SyFy movie ...

That Australia is a scary place - huge insects, killer jellyfish, droughts, etc. I'm surprised humans survive there ?. (I visited once. friendly people). Dingos are virtual wolves.

A good sting from a Box Jellyfish usually kills by extreme pain within 4 minutes. Although an antidote for the box jellyfish sting is available, getting it within the 4 minutes is not practical. A wet bite from an inland Taipan kills within 15 minutes or so but is mostly painless. The venom of the inland Taipan is the most toxic in the world but is easily defeated if the bite is on a leg or arm and proper first aid is applied quickly after the bite. The Funnel Web spider also kills but first aid and anti venom has seen very, very few deaths since the development of the anti venom.

Australia also has a couple of very large lizards, Goannas. Up to 5 foot long and claws like Raptor talons. Often seen on treeless plains, these things have been known to climb the nearest tall thing if startled. The injuries are terrible as the claws will leave large gashes as the frightened animal climbs a person. I barely survived an encountered with a very small goanna while bushwalking. I was wearing shorts and boots and gaiters. The goanna jumped onto my lower leg from a small ledge as I walked past and proceeded to head up my leg. My problem became apparent as the animal missed climbing on the outside of my shorts and instead kept climbing my bare leg until my belt stopped progress. So now I am standing in the middle of the bush with a goanna trying to push past my waistband by scrabbling for purchase on the bare flesh of my upper thigh. Remember the claws description? I reckon the claws would have made it down to my Femoral artery had it not been for a companion who had the presence of mind to tackle me to the ground and sit on my groin. Her full weight was sufficient to hold the goanna still. We undid my belt and fly and my companion rolled away to allow the goanna to run away once it could see a clear path to elsewhere. I survived, obviously, to tell the tale. And yes, I do have pictures. The most disappointing aspect to the near traumatising encounter was that the other companions insisted on taking photos before helping me release the demon lizard from close proximity to my most treasured body parts. They still laugh as they tell the tale of Ticklebelly with a Goanna up his shorts.

Shall I tell you about the Bird Eating spiders in the wet Tropics of Australia. The are the size of small dinner plates and put their webs across the tracks at about head height. Big problem when you are walking in the jungle keeping a look out on the ground for Estuarine crocodiles.

Wow, that's a scary tale indeed. Amazing that such a little lizard could be so much trouble.

Re spiders -- I bumped into some huge webs in the tropics, enormous spider in them, head high, and it was terrifying to say the least. Running blindly through the saw grass. Dunno how I never got bitten.

Latest posts