Desert water bags

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
well it's been over a year since I placed my order and 5 months since they billed me but I finally got my Desert water bags.  we had these when I was a kid exploring Nevada with our family.  I research these and found the company that bought the rights to manufacture the bags and ordered them in the spring of 2016.  finally today I came home from work and there was a box on my porch,  guess what was in it,

water bags 003.JPG

water bags 002.JPG

water bags 005 (2).jpg

water bags 007 (2).jpg

so after many, many Emails back and forth and me not believing their excuses they finally came through.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• water bags 003.JPG
    water bags 003.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 33
  • water bags 002.JPG
    water bags 002.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 26
  • water bags 005 (2).jpg
    water bags 005 (2).jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 28
  • water bags 007 (2).jpg
    water bags 007 (2).jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 25
They probably had them custom made just to get you off their back. Good job!

I remember those from the sixties. Not too many left that even know how to use them. :p

I wasn't sure what it was used for so I googled and found this video. Pretty cool Jackson Browne reference towards the end of the video.

I thought Scottish Flax Ducks were on the endangered species list.

-- Spiff

hush up. no ducks were harmed in the making of these water bags. LOL highdesertranger

Those are cool and so will be the water.
I remember those canteens with the canvas on the outside we had when I was a scout !

yeah I have seen those military surplus ones, but I wanted a retro one for the memories. you can find old used ones on ebay, etsy, etc. if I would have found a used one the I could put my hands on to check the condition I would have bought that. but not sight unseen. so I went with the new route. here a bunch of pics of the different styles,

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea..._ranching/DEVA51408_waterbag.jpg&action=close

highdesertranger

Now that is cool.. After looking up to see how it works.

I used to have a different style canvas bucket. mine was shorter and wider. it stood up ok, but not perfect. yes the bottom sagged. yes it got muddy if sat on the ground for any length of time. I don't know about cooling the water, I used mine for hauling water from point A to point B. for the cooling to work the water must sit in the container for a few hours and the canvas must be soaking wet. they cool by evaporation. so you would have to cover the top to keep bugs out. open water in the desert is like a bug magnet. highdesertranger

Okay, thanks! That's about what I suspected. Still looking for perfection. Haven't found it yet.

just an FYI I talked to Mari at CanSpec and she said they are now in stock and should remain that way. I will have mine on display at RTR. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
well it's been over a year since I placed my order and 5 months since they billed me but I finally got my Desert water bags.  we had these when I was a kid exploring Nevada with our family. 

My last Desert Bag was stolen off my VW Westy in Mexico.  I dig Desert Bags!  Just something magic about the taste of their cool water. 

My grandfather used to take us grand kids with him when he went camping in Seri indian territory in S AZ.  He was a rock hound.  He cut & polished rocks & made beautiful things, including chess boards.  He had friends among the Seri & would trade polished rocks for Seri ironwood carvings.  One of my fondest memories.

Just a few days ago I realized I would have to find another one for my new rig--whatever it ends up being.  I am amazed/dismayed to learn of the delay.  I had no trouble, years ago, ordering one.

Did you find the link online to order yours?
Charlotte

Ballenxj said:
HOLY CRAP! Those bags are not cheap! $52. each, with a minimum purchase of two? :s
http://can-spec.com/canspec/products/products.php?ID=14

Thanks for the link.  Those prices shock me.  I paid under $20 years ago & thought that was a lot.
When I get another, I want one just like the one I had, which I think of as the original, classic model. 
My grandfather always had that same Desert Bag & taught me to love them when I was a kid.

Won't be ordering another till my ship comes in--farm sells.
Charlotte