Definitely doing it!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erykka wrote

I have about 10 milk crates I'm thinking dresser/counter...maybe. I have a small kitchen island that may be narrow enough for van, I have bungees now that are on it to hold stuff on shelves, again looking for scrap lumber to close in down the road.

I've used those foam egg crate mattress folded over on themselves and covered with an old bed sheet to make a mattress. Safety pins to hold it all together. If one of these is cut in half across the middle it can make a couple of aluminum tube folding camp chairs much more comfortable and cozy.

If you've managed to view the Van Conversion site there is a page "My Own Story" which has a link to a book titled "Nomadic Furniture". They make use of milk crates in the book too. There is a #2 and possibly a #3 edition also. All full of great ideas. Check out Libraries for copies in their collection.

Nomadic Furniture #1

Erykka wrote

I have about 10 milk crates I'm thinking dresser/counter...maybe. I have a small kitchen island that may be narrow enough for van, I have bungees now that are on it to hold stuff on shelves, again looking for scrap lumber to close in down the road.

I've used those foam egg crate mattress folded over on themselves and covered with an old bed sheet to make a mattress. Safety pins to hold it all together. If one of these is cut in half across the middle it can make a couple of aluminum tube folding camp chairs much more comfortable and cozy.

If you've managed to view the Van Conversion site there is a page "My Own Story" which has a link to a book titled "Nomadic Furniture". They make use of milk crates in the book too. There is a #2 and possibly a #3 edition also. All full of great ideas. Check out Libraries for copies in their collection.

Nomadic Furniture #1
Thanks! Yes I'm filling up my notebook with all the great ideas I can, I was at first overwhelmed with all the stuff I thought I needed, now I'm seeing potential in what I have around . It's great, seeing every thrift store item with a different eye. Perspective and imagination! Necessity truly is the mother of invention! Sleeping on my bed idea tonight, fingers crossed...comfy so far!

Me too.
I'm really old. Today was the day I finished my solar set up. Not sure It's going to be enough but I think so.
I've been making my own meals here in my camper trailer. Lots of failures (yuk). but you can't hurt hamburger enough to call the health department.
Like you, down sizing is hard to do. I can still walk around so that has to be good. Of course I can't find anything till I'm not looking for it and then there It is.
Still on my todo list is where do I go from here and how do I get there AND what do I do when I do get there? Where ever THERE is.
The picture shows me and my wife - Well she up and died on me - no warning- She just up and died and left me here to do all those things like keep me organized and fed and dressed and stuff, lots of stuff.
So, now like you, I am off, well not mentally off, just off to a different place off.
The thing that has me worried, (actually scared) is where are the grocery stores and how am I going to do laundry. I've already got the shower figured out and didn't drown but I did forget my towel and now I can't find my clean sox. Do I even have clean sox? I can turn my underwear inside out but can you do that with sox?
I write to you to encourage you along your way to what ever you plan to do? and wherever you plan to go and do it
All I know is that I'm headed south. and maybe west with lots of questions and no answers. (yet).
If you see an old guy wandering around in dirty sox, That'll be me.
😁

Welcome and hope we’ll see ya out there. Lots of people to connect with and get help from. From Bring Your Own Van, to Van Aide to Pirate Camp... west is where it’s at! Haha! That’s where I’m heading after I get a little hardware implanted tomorrow.

... I have about 10 milk crates I'm thinking dresser/counter...looking for scrap lumber to close in down the road.
re -- dairy-style crates.
Our local-owned family-operated home-improvement center and our local-owned family-operated farm/ranch supply carry 'six-gallon' rectangle crates... us$8 each, a much better price than dealing with The Milk-Crate Police and a crusading prosecutor.
We acquired a couple-three dozen of these tough durable stackable crates, and use them for food plus clothes plus tools plus books.
I fabricated our bed-platform with space underneath for two-high stacked crates.
We went this direction to avoid cabinets and counters and other knee-knockers and toe-bashers.
re -- scrap lumber
We built our ExpeditionVehicle with a rear entry.
The porch is permanent, with a permanent roof.
On our excursions into the back-country, we forage downed timber, branches and slash blocking or near the road.
Our potential camp-fire fuel gets strapped to the deck, then distributed at camp.

I guess you could wash out the Sox in the shower.....or go for sandals and heck with the darn Sox... thanks for the encouragement and enjoy... 😉
I have socks for cold weather (like the always-end to a fortune-cookie fortune) 'IN BED!'.
Out of bed, I am in sandals pretty much year-round.
PS:
My favorite fortune-cookie fortune:
* "You are loved by everybody you meet..."
"IN BED!"
Second favorite:
* "People want you to succeed..."
"IN BED!"

re -- dairy-style crates.
Our local-owned family-operated home-improvement center and our local-owned family-operated farm/ranch supply carry 'six-gallon' rectangle crates... us$8 each, a much better price than dealing with The Milk-Crate Police and a crusading prosecutor.
We acquired a couple-three dozen of these tough durable stackable crates, and use them for food plus clothes plus tools plus books.
I fabricated our bed-platform with space underneath for two-high stacked crates.
We went this direction to avoid cabinets and counters and other knee-knockers and toe-bashers.
re -- scrap lumber
We built our ExpeditionVehicle with a rear entry.
The porch is permanent, with a permanent roof.
On our excursions into the back-country, we forage downed timber, branches and slash blocking or near the road.
Our potential camp-fire fuel gets strapped to the deck, then distributed at camp.
Milk crate police??? Yikes I just traded a jon boat for them and the kitchen island lol I have learned as a hillbilly handshake type of trader to never ask where it was come upon....what milk crates, I have no crates, I misspoke...(don't look behind the curtain) I definitely need to remember the taking fire fuel to camp, ty for the reminder. Putting it on the list of must have space for.

Thanks, that's a great idea! I will probably be starting with just a small jackery until I get in it full time. Then I can afford to save and put in the system I want. But I will start practicing, hands on is better learning for me, just didn't think of it!
Things have advanced so much over the past few years that building a DIY electrical system isn't necessarily advantageous unless you enjoy doing it or need a large system that requires the sophistication of dual alternators. A DIY electrical system will be more expensive and take up more space. It won't have a warranty and it won't have the flexibility of being portable.

Jackery and Goal Zero are no longer the market leaders. Bluetti and EcoFlow are setting the standards now. Both have power stations large enough (mine has 300Ah LiFePO4 battery and 3600W inverter) to meet the needs of even a fairly advanced build. The Bluetti EB3A is probably the best small power station. The EcoFlow Delta 2 is the best mid sized power station. Both companies make power stations with external expansion batteries that makes right sizing a system easy.

Things have advanced so much over the past few years that building a DIY electrical system isn't necessarily advantageous unless you enjoy doing it or need a large system that requires the sophistication of dual alternators. A DIY electrical system will be more expensive and take up more space. It won't have a warranty and it won't have the flexibility of being portable.

Jackery and Goal Zero are no longer the market leaders. Bluetti and EcoFlow are setting the standards now. Both have power stations large enough (mine has 300Ah LiFePO4 battery and 3600W inverter) to meet the needs of even a fairly advanced build. The Bluetti EB3A is probably the best small power station. The EcoFlow Delta 2 is the best mid sized power station. Both companies make power stations with external expansion batteries that makes right sizing a system easy.
Thanks,good info! I keep saying jackery when I mean portable power station in general. Maybe since it was the first one I ever heard of. I've been looking at bluetti more lately, and trying to decide if I am going to still work online while I'm roaming, or just coast. That will determine the power needed, mostly. I'd rather be no-tech fishing lol

Me too.
I'm really old. Today was the day I finished my solar set up. Not sure It's going to be enough but I think so.
I've been making my own meals here in my camper trailer. Lots of failures (yuk). but you can't hurt hamburger enough to call the health department.
Like you, down sizing is hard to do. I can still walk around so that has to be good. Of course I can't find anything till I'm not looking for it and then there It is.
Still on my todo list is where do I go from here and how do I get there AND what do I do when I do get there? Where ever THERE is.
The picture shows me and my wife - Well she up and died on me - no warning- She just up and died and left me here to do all those things like keep me organized and fed and dressed and stuff, lots of stuff.
So, now like you, I am off, well not mentally off, just off to a different place off.
The thing that has me worried, (actually scared) is where are the grocery stores and how am I going to do laundry. I've already got the shower figured out and didn't drown but I did forget my towel and now I can't find my clean sox. Do I even have clean sox? I can turn my underwear inside out but can you do that with sox?
I write to you to encourage you along your way to what ever you plan to do? and wherever you plan to go and do it
All I know is that I'm headed south. and maybe west with lots of questions and no answers. (yet).
If you see an old guy wandering around in dirty sox, That'll be me.
Hi WB8VYN, Been a fan of yours for awhile. For a nice place to tryout go to the LTVA area in Quartzsite, AZ. Great place to winter. Also there is another LTVA down the road 60 miles near Yuma. You can stay at both and the cost is only $180 for seven months (until April 15). There is a dump station, water and trash pickup. All included in the one time fee. Very friendly people as well. Lots of older folks.

Regards,
KI6Y

So much to learn, I'm glad I have the time to research and read all that's already been talked over in here. I may need a knee replacement, so while all that's sorting itself out, I tried out some diy solar ovens, and a dehydrator. Pretty good. Built a compost toilet and working out different shower ideas since I will most likely be working my current job from the van, hopefully in van by may/June. Kind of a trial run before hopefully heading west in the fall to ltva for winter. My boss will take me back if I can't hack it, she says...lol bed I made is actually pretty comfy, 6 inch foam cut to fit my totes. Been on it a week or two, so I'm relieved. Sleep is a must

... taking fire fuel to camp, ty for the reminder. Putting it on the list of must have space for.
To restraint our precious foraged wood -- and a hundred other uses -- we invested in four-packs of rat-shit straps.
And we honestly truly believe only the worst kind of person would live by the slogan:
* 'A preposition is a terrible thing to end a sentence with.'

Haha I had to Google that....don't judge, I worked long hours this last week....I felt so stupid when ratchet straps popped up on my voice to text....duh 🙄
Made myself feel better by attacking my kitchen downsizing project, lol. Amazing how much stuff I accumulated...but I'm wondering if doubles of things I have decided to keep in the van should be donated to goodwill or maybe find a place in case I run across a fellow traveller who needs one ... My happy thought as I get ready for work is....in less than a year I will be living better and traveling. Yay! No clients cussing me out or giving me headaches for awhile

Hi all! Been watching TV more than I ever have, since I was recovering from a decent crash. Now I'm back to work, I can't get van life out of my mind. It's went from silly day dream, to a firm plan. I'm physically still recovering, but I'm working out how to make it happen. I find myself downsizing everyday. two bedroom rental trailer I am in currently...now only has stuff in the kitchen and living room, very little in bathroom. I'm trying to get my kids to take their storage things lol. I'm using the time to learn solar/shower ideas, as these are my two main wants. But yesterday I told my brother my plans, and I realized it is going to happen. Slowly, but surely... I'll be seeing you out there!
Good luck! I had a MVC in 2012 and made a life altering decision in 2015 in part due to that also. It's been good in some ways, challenging in others, but in the long run it's made me a better person. I know that I will be ready for yet another big challenge/adventure and I hope vanning may be the answer!

Wow I read too many threads on here ... I take two steps closer to my goal and get more questions answered, and it's Awesome. Then I read a bit, and ten new questions pop up for me lol Now I have to rethink getting a pet, since I want the company but I don't think it would be fair to them. Maybe I will meet folks who will need a doggie day off and loan me a pal once in awhile lol

Wow I read too many threads on here ... I take two steps closer to my goal and get more questions answered, and it's Awesome. Then I read a bit, and ten new questions pop up for me lol Now I have to rethink getting a pet, since I want the company but I don't think it would be fair to them. Maybe I will meet folks who will need a doggie day off and loan me a pal once in awhile lol
That's a great idea. Currently I enjoy my neighbor's dogs...

I am taking a pause from my usual routine of work, come home and work on must have van stuff or research. I'm so excited since I made up my mind but I don't want to take all the fun out of it. I'm going to do some painting and decorating when I get home today, maybe the totes I have. Something that isn't a bit necessary but just for me cuz why not! My youngest uses a song called "Fly me Courageous" as my ringtone, I think that will be my inspiration lol

Isn't it nice when it seems like something seems to be saying We are on the right course? That's my perspective lately, maybe it's just this strange positivity that's with me now lol I like it!

Attachments

• IMG_20221020_174356.jpg
    IMG_20221020_174356.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0