Death Valley or Mojave

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt71

Reaction score
Having a hard time determining part of our travel route.
We'll be driving from Sequoia National Forest to Las Vegas and can't decide of we want to drive 5 hours through Death Valley or Mojave.
Driving distance is nearly identical, so we're thinking it's going to be all about the scenery.

Which is better?

death valley, no competition. however you need to spend some time there, if you are just driving through and not checking things out it really doesn't matter. what time of year? death valley in the summer gets scorching. we are talking 110-120 as normal. the Mojave gets hot but it's a little higher altitude so a little cooler. in death valley the race track playa is a must see that everybody should visit. I can name all kind of places to visit there. teakettle jct, Lippincott mine, Scotty's castle, etc, etc. I could go on for hours. if anybody wants to go to death valley right know is the time to go. highdesertranger

I have to agree, Death Valley is a great place to take time and explore. If you will just be driving through and not stopping i would take the Mojave route. Why drive into a deep hole only to have to climb out of it on the other side?

We'd be there in mid May
There's no reason we can't spend a few days there

My vote is for the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine CA. If you can't do both, I'd do Alabama Hills before either Death Valley or Mojave. 
Bob

O man I have always wanted to see Death Valley.....I vote for that and hope you share lots of photos!!! Man do I miss the desert! Peaceful Day!

I think we're going to go with Death Valley. I've wanted to see the Racetrack for a while now and didn't realize that's where it was.
We probably won't stay more than a day or two due to the heat.

oops I said this was the time of year, then I looked it was 99 yesterday(3/17/15). I would check with the temps. the race track is at the north end of the old Death Valley there are not any paved roads in the area, last time I was there the pavement ended at Scotty's Castle. everything north of that was on well maintained gravel roads. highdesertranger

Last time me and Vic were at Death Valley,there were some slabs on top of the mountain on the east side.We camped there for a couple of days.That was several years ago,don't know if they are still there.If I remember correctly,it was a pretty good pull up the mountain when we left.

I go to Death Valley every year.  I'm leaving Tuesday for a week.

The Racetrack is a must see but in May it could be 110 degrees.  Also consider that the road from Scotty's / Ubehebe to the Racetrack is 24 miles of serious washboard.  You could go in and out via Saline Valley Rd and Hunter Mtn.  It's a better road but there are several sandy miles where you either need 4 wheel drive or to air down your tires.  Make sure you have a way to air up as service stations are very few and far between (also very expensive) in and around Death Valley.  You can boondock anywhere in the Nat. park as long as you are 2 miles off off a main road. There are many original miners cabins throughout the park in which you can sleep.  Unfortunately several years back some a$$hole burned down Charlie Manson's hideaway at Barker Ranch.  There are also many paid campgrounds.  

When in my bigger camper, I stay at Panamint Springs Resort, a private campground with restaurant, store and gas on the west side of Death Valley Park. When in my van, I usually boondock.  Panamint is 2000 feet higher then Death Valley and 15 degrees cooler. It also has full hookup sites and showers.  There are two primative campgrounds in the Wildrose area at 5000 feet and 8000 feet.  They are great in the summer but cold and often snowed in, in winter.

If passing through Death Valley towards Beatty NV, make sure to stop at the ghost town of Rhyolite and check out the open air art exhibit to the west.

Have a great trip

Gregg

hey Gregg,  is that cabin down the canyon from barker ranch still there.  here's a pic not very good only a corner of the cabin showing.
dv.jpg
have you ever been to the geologist cabin,  this is one of the best back country cabins I have ever seen,  plus the view is outstanding.
dv1.jpg
last time I was over the hunter mountain road it was impassible for passenger cars.  ever been over the Lippincott road to saline,  that road will get your adrenaline going.
highdesertranger

Attachments

• dv.jpg
    dv.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 8
  • dv1.jpg
    dv1.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 10
The winter that I spent in Death Valley (at Furnace Creek Ranch/oasis , Nov-mid May) there were so many things to see that I never got to them all !! The racetrack was 4wd recommended so didn't get there. Scotty's Castle was probably the most interesting (for me , take the underground tour as well as the upstairs). I also really liked Lower Darwin Falls , the hike in was surreal. Lots of camping and boondocking options.
I agree with previous recc. to only go if you will have time to at least see some of the sights.
I left on May 15th , it was 115* but I rode my bike to the airport every day .It was about 90* in Nov. and 50* a few times in Jan-Feb , so not always really hot .
Make sure your radiator + cooling system is in top shape .
I will absolutely be going back , the best winter I ever had !
I guess I must have a lizard somewhere in my ancestry !!Oh My GOSHK !
I'm from the Northeast but love the Southwest.......