Deaf3279

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaf3279

Reaction score
Hello! I don't know which topic I should intro myself.... If there's any. This topic seen close enough.

I was in process to buy myself a van that I plan to turn into dweller rather than rent a motel. Also My family start grow into old (not too old) I badly able to make money a month. So I think i want be precaution to get vandweller before "too late" This van I was about to buy:

[img=500x375]http://cdn.getauto.com/photos/5/161085/1s/2C4GP54L45R571726-1s.jpg[/img]

I posted on Facebook about it. And Most people told me DON'T BUY! It's only cost 8,175.00 

I'm temping to ignore Facebook recommend. But I'll see what you guys say. Finial decide will be on Oct 2. That day if I could find down money. If not then everything plan scrapped and start search for other van. I told dealer I'm look for van that can haul 4x8 plywood because I have woodworking hobbies. I never told them I'm look for van to be vandweller. I'm eye on this one because it's red. My favorite that kind red. I always wanted have it. I had white, black, and ugly navy blue. 

Spec: 
  • Wheel Diameter: 16.0
  • Length: 200.5
  • Leg Room Rear: 37.5
  • Stability Control: U
  • Turning Circle: 39.4
  • Ground Clearance: 5.4
  • Width: 78.6
  • Hip Room Front: 57
  • Leg Room Front: 40.6
  • Shoulder Room Rear: 64.9
  • Wheelbase: 119.3
  • Rear Wheel Diameter: 16.0
  • Hip Room Rear: 57
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Range: 5001-6000
  • Gallons In Tank One: 20
  • Max Seating: 7
  • Traction Control: U
  • Shoulder Room Front: 62.9
  • Head Room Front: 39.6
  • Curb Weight: 4279
  • Height: 68.8
  • Drive Type: Fwd
  • Towing Capacity: 3800
  • Standard Seating: 7

I wouldn't spend $8k on that. I think there are better vehicles to suit your needs for that kind of money. Unless you REALLY like that shade of red - then it may be worth $8k to you.

We need a lot more info to offer any kind of opinion. Stat by posting a link to it then tell us:

Year-Make-Mode
Mileage
Extras
Condition

Bob

John here,

It is also a dealer that has a checkered past with scams.  

I sent him here to get a second opinion, and so people can post threads for him to see what has been done and what to be avoided.  

I think you should start here, and get an idea of what different kind of vans are out there, and how you can make them a good liveable space on a budget.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Forum-Van

He really needs to give us a lot more information before we can offer him any kind of help.

We'd love to help him, but he has to meet us half-way and tell us something besides a picture of a van.
Bob

He is burning up Facebook, and all over the place. All that can be done is to show him the door, and let him decide if he wants to enter. I think the problem is things run a lot slower here than on FB. No instant answers.

I'm back... i need fix my setting for alert of new message. Anyway I didnt know what mile and all stuff. I told guy I want something able to haul 4x8 plywood i'm woodwork guy. I never say I need van... I should have but. Everything set up all i need down 500 dollar to get it start. Since all talk with you guys on facebook... now here. I has been tried talk into my aunt to loan me 1,000 so I could grab anything under 1,000 I can pay back her in full within 4 month from 1000.

Bottom line, I'm look for able to haul 4 x 8 too. Like I say I'm woodwork. I probably will tilt it to side to haul woods. Rest space would be home. Like Length bed than wide. I have military sleep bag. I tried out few time, It's very comfortable. Also I'm prepper. I told my friend that I'm turn it into sorta temping home during events of emergency. They like the ideas. Because other day I told few friend that I'm turn van into home. They say i need seek a help for have crazy ideas. So I change my word to events of emergency. Then they say it's very smart idea.

Also I prefer windowless. Last thing I want anyone look inside and see all those weapon lay around "OMG TERRORIST"

I'm going to say you need more room than the first van you posted.

Try looking on www.craigslist.com , Search E-150, E-250, E-350 or Chevy Express
these are some of the most popular and plentiful vans around and you can customize it way way you want.
No problem putting 4 x 8 in them. Add a cheap ladder rack and carry wood on top.

Look around this web site and check out all the pictures, you will get a lot of good ideas.

MIke R

Try getting a loan from a credit union. They are often more accommodating than banks and dealerships. Tell them you're going to be using the van for your woodwork. Leave out the parts about living in it, emergency preparation, and the weapons.

If you can secure a loan for ~$3k, buy something off Craigslist private sale. Don't be afraid to look further south to avoid rust. A day's trip and the cost of gas far outweigh rust problems.

I have worst credit and my bank is credit union - Lake Trust Credit Union - https://www.laketrust.org/

I tried ask for 1,500 and they denied. Not only bank. Also all attend on varies loan all are denied. I blame on my ex lover. My ex move in and make me spend more than I can afford enough to bottom out my credit and get my old car repoed twice.

I spend years to try build my credit score. As far I know it's back up to 605.

Hi ... (it's really hard for me to call you Deaf3279. Is that weird? It seems ... I don't know ... If that's what you want to be called, I'll just get used to it)

If you're really serious about van dwelling maybe consider that you don't need credit. Save some money and pay cash. that's a much better way to go. Living in a van is much simpler if you don't have bills to pay with the exception of a couple (insurance and cell phone/data are my two)

why it's weird for called Deaf3279? mmm Maybe it's weird to call you Cyndi :p Reason I choice this name... I'm Deaf. 3279 is my date of birth.

My mother told me "don't worry about car or van. I'll buy you a used car."
I told her "I want Van!"
She said "sure no problem don't worry about. You will have van by Friday"

That was last Saturday, When I talk with my mother about this van cost near 3,000. And she against idea of buy van from owner. She is very pushy me to get van from dealer. Then yesterday, She say about will get me van. I'm pretty sure from dealer. But I'll find out on this Friday.

Deaf3279 said:
why it's weird for called Deaf3279? mmm Maybe it's weird to call you Cyndi :p Reason I choice this name... I'm Deaf. 3279 is my date of birth.

I hope I didn't offend you, that was not my intention. If it's weird for you to call me Cyndi, please feel free to choose another name and let me know  

I thought a lot about that since I posted. and yes, I figured you were indeed deaf. I'm sure it's my issue and maybe other hearing people's issue, too. I was taught, from a very young age, not to point out other's challenges. By calling you *Deaf* when I answer your posts or questions I feel like I am doing exactly that. To avoid that I might end up not calling you anything. that feels rude, too.

Thanks for anwaering my post with humor and for the answer.

Again, my issue, not yours. I hope you'll accept my apology. It is truly sincere.

If you want a van to live in (or even sleep in for vacation or camping trips), I would suggest NOT getting a mini van, like the first one you posted.
You will want a full sized van... one that typically carries 10 passengers, or a cargo van. Something BIG and roomy! Yes that might cost a little more, but a mini van is definitely not going to be adequate for you to sleep in and have room for supplies like food, clothes, cooking, etc.

People have pick-up trucks with camper covers, and I think those are even too small :/

Just my couple of pennies!

If I didn't personally know my car dealer (as he's a friend of mine)...I would NEVER buy a rig from a dealer.

They're into it for 1 cause only...To Make MONEY......YOURS!!

seriously.

a business will NOT survive unless it shows a profit. The profit OVER the expense of buying the car he is selling has to be able to cover the overhead of running their business (ie: buy the land, build and maintain the property, pay land taxes, water and lights, pay for advertising [VERY EXPENSIVE!!], and on top of all that...the salesman has to make enough to bring home to feed his family!!

Your mother may have good intentions, but she's misguided about what an auto dealership actually offers...unless it's a brand, new car from a dealer. There's no way around that.

I always buy from private partys. You have to do a lot more screening, but you come out much better in the end.

These are just my personal opinions, and have no reflection on the owners or management of this forum. :D

Vivid-Dawn pid='156496' dateline='1443491004' said:
If you want a van to live in (or even sleep in for vacation or camping trips), I would suggest NOT getting a mini van, like the first one you posted.
You will want a full sized van

Many people full-time in mini vans.

Google *minivan conversion rv*

Very nice of your mom, give her a big hug even for offering.

Don't be in a rush. Look at what options are available and take some time to think it out. There will be a lot of stuff that has to be stowed, how will you sleep, cook, stay warm, etc. You have time to look at peoples vans here, on you tube and else where before Friday.

The dealer should allow you to take it to a reputable mechanic for a goood going over. I'd do that whether I bought from a dealer or a private party

Latest posts