Deadman switch!! - 911 auto dialer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
http://www.safetrekapp.com/

Basically this is a deadman switch for dialing 911. If you stop pressing the app button, it will dial for help.

You can make a mistake and that's okay. As checking once in a long while (every few months) good safety.

Great for smart phone owners having to walk the dog, or use facilities at night.

If you are in a strange area it would be nice to have this.

Only problem I see is that dialing 911 from a cell phone does not give the operator any location information. You still need to be able to tell them where you are.

The app does say "Your local police will be notified of your location and emergency", but I do not know how unless it talks to the operator for you as well.

Honestly, if I were ever in a part of the city that I felt I needed to have this ready and que'd up... well, I wouldn't/shouldn't be walking around in that area... and that is coming from someone that is armed at all times. I'd rather have my hand ready to grab for my pistol, not tied up holding a cell phone.

Cool toy in theory but as the article says even if you get the 911 call out and a location sent to the operator you still have the average 10+ minutes of response time (in urban areas only... it could be up to and beyond a hour in rural areas) before that help shows up. It sounds like it may better suit the elderly who are prone to falling in the shower.

I think I agree with V-T on this one.

I don't see this as either deterring an assailant nor getting any help to you in time to do any good.

I worry that hearing your phone say " 911 Operator. What is your emergency?" Will just cause your assailant to beat the crap out of you before running off.

Regards
John

So you turn the sound down to volume low as possible? A silent 911. Having a big dog would be better, but that is not practical for many.

Any answers for an alternative ? Not being in that situation is not an alternative, as everyone knows that will of course be the goal. To not be in that situation.

Have a big gun and be ready to use it? Is what some might suggest. Again that's not any more practical

offroad said:
So you turn the sound down to volume low as possible? A silent 911. Having a big dog would be better, but that is not practical for many.

Any answers for an alternative ? Not being in that situation is not an alternative, as everyone knows that will of course be the goal. To not be in that situation.

Have a big gun and be ready to use it? Is what some might suggest. Again that's not any more practical

I'm 64 years old. I've had a permit to carry a concealed weapon since I was 22, which means I've been carrying a gun for self-protection possibly longer than you've been alive. Clearly, I don't find it particularly impractical.

If you can't, or won't, carry a gun, then I would recommend a good pepper spray.

Look, there is no magic gadget that guarantees your safety. Even a gun is useless if you let some bastard sneak up behind you and hit you in the head with something.

The phone app you are talking about doesn't strike me as particularly useful for anything other than giving yourself a false sense of security.

If you feel differently, then I guess we'll just have to agree to respectfully disagree.

Regards
John

The teddy bear with the hidden snub nose revolver? Lol.

Can we have both, this App and the gun and whatever else, like grenades, bazookas, etc.? I carry a gun, a 5.5" blade folder, spray and now, why not this too? Some cities and states don't allow my concealed carry permit, so my knife and spray is all I have and now, this App as just another option. It's only $1.99.

And some courts have also decided that the police are not responsible to protect people from the bad guys, they have a duty to enforce the laws. So if they arrive to late to stop the bad guys they can't be sued for negligence of their duty to protect and to stop the incident.

Interesting conversation. People who don't like cops and want as little to do with them as possible wanting to be able to call them for help as quickly as possible.

A lot of how you die will depend on how you lived. Hopefully, we will all make the choices that suit us.

Something like this might be more useful if you could set it to call 911 if you don't wake up when your alarm goes off. For example, if you're non-vented heater fails to shut off when it's supposed too (low oxygen).

Haven't priced it, but why not just get a Life Alert, especially if you are alone a lot? You won't always be walking around with your phone in your hand and your app on.

jeanontheroad said:
Haven't priced it, but why not just get a Life Alert, especially if you are alone a lot? You won't always be walking around with your phone in your hand and your app on.

When I priced a Life Alert type system for my grandma, like ten+ years ago, it was about $20/month and $1000 setup w/equipment. It should be a lot less now, but this APP is ONLY $1.99 it's not even $2. Not sure why there's so much resistance against a $1.99 product when there are people on here advocating the use of Wasp Spray for self defense when it's proven to not do much against humans but can get you sued for trying to poison someone, which is a Federal offense (as labeled on the canister).

Graywhale - people are resistant to tech change. Sometimes aggressively. The previous tech is dog ownership, gun training, living near friend who can help. Plus the attitude that this is not a dead sure way to save your life. Feeling it's a complement to all the other methods.

Just saw this thread so I apologize for being late to the conversation. While apps can certainly be useful, I would advise taking the time to read through the license agreement before relying too much on something like this. Not only is the usefulness of this app (like others) dependent on signal strength, it clearly states in the agreement that it is at their discretion as to when they alert the authorities. See below:

D. Before Dispatching Proper Authorities. Upon receipt of (a) a Signal and Data but before contacting any other person or entity, including any of the Proper Authorities, Personnel may contact or attempt to contact you as frequently as they deem appropriate to verify the need to respond to, or report the receipt of, a Signal or Data to any of the Proper Authorities

So, if I'm reading this correctly, if "personnel" decides to attempt to contact you 20 times prior to notifying the authorities (to make sure you need help) then not only is help a long time coming but you have no legal recourse in the event that it took "personnel" 20 minutes to decide to call the cops.

Personally speaking, this app is not for me. While technology can be a great thing, I prefer to be responsible for my own safety as opposed to relying on a $1.99 app. As the old saying goes...you get what you pay for. :)

Latest posts