De-windowing?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reven

Reaction score
I've seen some decent deals on larger vans but often they're conversion or passenger vans with tons of windows.  I see this as a liability in several areas -- insulation, stealth, and security.  There's a lot of shops out there that will open up a van's panels and install windows, but does anyone actually remove them and seal the panel back up or offer some kind of panel that can be put over them?  Is de-windowing actually a thing, or just a really weird custom job that only a few people would do and charge a limb for?

It's  LOT easier to cut some holes in painted sheet metal than it is to weld sheet metal back into a panel, and then prep and paint it so it doesn't look like a TOTAL piece of crap.

My brother likes to say that ANYTHING is possible IF you have access to a big enough pile of money.  I'm guessing that dewindowing a van is not gonna be cheap.  By the time you are done, it's gonna end up costing WAY more than just buying an unwindowed van in the first place.

Regards
John

You can get some black fabric and spray glue it to a piece of styrofoam and it's like the windows are gone. No one can see in and it's very well insulated. Easy peasy!
Bob

akrvbob said:
You can get some black fabric and spray glue it to a piece of styrofoam and it's like the windows are gone. No one can see in and it's very well insulated. Easy peasy!
Bob

I would add dark window tint in the windows behind the front doors to help hide the "window shades".  You can take the shades down to see out when you want to and still no one can see in unless you have a light on inside.  The window shades will also be a some insulation.

IMG_20150428_113247502.jpg

My solution was to paint and insulate unused windows. Ones right behind the cab area are covered with white window perf so we can see out.

Attachments

• IMG_20150428_113247502.jpg
    IMG_20150428_113247502.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 27
bindi&us said:
My solution was to paint and insulate unused windows. Ones right behind the cab area are covered with white window perf so we can see out.

I plan to use this method for my Conversion Van.  I too will retain use of the window behind the driver's door.  I often find I am on a road Ting into another at an angle -  cannot see traffic to the side, and cannot get my head out the driver's window to see at that angle.  Rearview mirrors are no help, wrong angle.  This happens at least three times a week leaving my Mom's place.  So I NEED that window. 
The rear side windows, both sides, can be blocked over.  Once I get the left side bed and right side kitchen cabinets installed, the sliding vent windows on those larger windows will be blocked anyway.  All other windows will have quick detachable foam panels to block them when needed.

Has anyone tried car window perforated decals to cover windows?

44d1ea7cd9003e027773475e014dbf56.jpg

Ambulances use these decals to allow the personnel inside to see out but not allow people to see in.

They are what the vehicle wrap decals are made.

You can have them made in a single color.

They are not for stealth as some light can come out, but are a good way to block people seeing in.

It might be a cleaner look than other methods.

Brent

Brent...I used the perforated window covering (no graphics) on the windows behind the driver's section, as shown in post #5. The remainder are painted and insulated.

I will be posting a review on window perf in another thread.

On my last van I wound up simply painting the windows black with acrylic paint. It took several coats but wound up looking like really dark tint. They were still warm to the touch in sunlight but kept a lot more heat out than tint and reflectix with black fabric glued to it.

I've since gotten a white windowless van (a little one) and love it! The sun hardly affects it at all now.

I, personally, am a little uneasy about permanently covering over a sheet of breakable glass. I see a lot of skoolie converters do it. Most skoolie windows remove from the inside only. So I will ask a rhetorical question of those of you who have done or plan to do the same... What will you do when that piece of glass that is buried behind a wall, etc, breaks and needs to be replaced quickly (because it's only going to break when it's raining or snowing.. or both)?

BTW, for those who do not know, a rhetorical question is one that does not require an answer. So I really do not ask it expecting an answer. I merely ask so that you will, hopefully, think about it.

I have read of a window covering here in the South called "Hurricane Film", or some such.  Basically like solar film but thicker, designed to prevent broken glass from flying.  It holds it together.  Still a broken window, but it would help prevent water intrusion til you can get to it inside to fix it.

I've heard some negative things regarding tint and plastic coverings that cling to the window, mostly that windows do not break as engineered from the factory and won't shatter into the safety glass pieces they're supposed to, but instead break off in sheets and possibly cause harm in the case of an accident.

Just something to think about.

Is it legal in all states to have painted windows? I'm thinking of the scenario where you use black paint. You get pulled over for some other reason and now, to the officer, it seems like too dark of tint. Do you have to open your doors and prove it's not tint?

It seems silly to me that tinting laws even apply to rear windows. How is having them heavily tinted any more dangerous than not having them at all?

NickTheoBennett said:
It seems silly to me that tinting laws even apply to rear windows.  How is having them heavily tinted any more dangerous than not having them at all?

What makes you think that laws have to make sense?

Most laws are passed by politicians anxious to prove to the electorate that they are DOING SOMETHING about some perceived problem or other, so the electorate will think they are effective and accomplishing something and they can get re-elected.

Regards
John

NickTheoBennett said:
It seems silly to me that tinting laws even apply to rear windows.  How is having them heavily tinted any more dangerous than not having them at all?

X2