DC AC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm OK with DC aircon. The majority of the time you will be using it during hot, sunny days, which means you won't be tapping into the batteries for electricity. Assuming there's enough solar on the roof, the solar alone will be powering the AC. No matter what, it will be expensive. I'm going to install AC next year. It's going to cost me another $1500 bringing up my entire solar cost to $5000 at that point. That doesn't include the many hundreds of dollars of insulation installed. It's not just about powering the AC unit, but being efficient as possible. After doing all the hard work to get the cold air in there, you ideally want to keep it in there.

I wish there were a truly viable DC aircon unit. I've toyed with the idea of making one, but it's very big job for someone who doesn't know what they are doing. First, it would be a large, gangly unit. Small size is important and I haven't seen how to make it small. It's quite the task.