Dash lights dead

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman

Reaction score
My dash lights are burnt out but I'm replacing the stereo head unit this weekend and thought I would fix it while things are apart. I never done it before though. I was just going to grab the first 12v light I could find and figured I could tie it in somehow. Anybody have a better idea?

Have you replaced the OEM dash lights? They do burn out. How about the fuse?

On most cars the dash lights go out when the taillights are out. Lets you know the fuse is blown or other problem with tail lights

With little or no vehicle information I would recommend you cut off the roof and drive only when there is a full moon. Ah yea wind in your hair, soft music from your new stereo and moon light! Lol!!! Let us know what you got as many vehicles can be damaged from too much current draw from after market lights.

93 chevy g20

Definitely a burnt bulb. Everything else works. Dash lights and dimmer works. Its the light in the shifting column thats dead. And i watched it slowly die over the years. The actual dash lights arent far behind either.

Think Im just going to tear off the roof anyway. Seems like the best option at this point.

on many of the older Chevy's the light for the shifter was actually a fiber optic cable running off of one or the dash lights. don't know if they had gotten rid of that by 1993. highdesertranger

That fiber optic cable slowly moving would account for the watching it die remark.

Fixing the factory stuff is usually the best idea as most Chevy parts can be bought. Many older van guys that drive a lot at night mount an accessory red lens light out of their line of sight so their night vision is improved and they can see some what better.

Latest posts