Dang Punks...(Sigh)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer

Reaction score
So, last night my poor 4 year old computer died. OK, it happens, I go to sleep (After taking pills) the next day, dump computer into garbage can, tie bag and get out...To find passenger side window was busted out...

I had an old ripped coat, a coat I bought back in 1996 (Really good quality!) and a small Harbor Freight generator (That $100 cheapie) and everything was still there....(sigh) 

Quotes are running $200 or so....Makes me wonder if I shouldn't sleep at the rest area 13 miles away....Instead of the Walmart.....

The new computer (Dell Inspiron 3000 Touch) is pretty nice, but I think I'll still have my mouse connected as I'm so used to it and the mouse pad is still touchy....

Have PDL and Power windows.....Have to wait a couple weeks to get it fixed.....

Now comes a question....Front end needs repair $1K...Drivers door lock cracked...Replace door $125-$200...Busted window $200....Van has leak which carpet is soaked, have even sealed back to thwart the water..No good....I know, I have see 2-4 vans nearby which I could get (15 passenger Savannah/express) and though I "Might" have to put in some repairs, the debate in my head is "Is it worth it?"

Yeah, only I can answer that....

Wanderer said:
So, last night my poor 4 year old computer died. OK, it happens, I go to sleep (After taking pills) the next day, dump computer into garbage can, tie bag and get out...To find passenger side window was busted out...

I had an old ripped coat, a coat I bought back in 1996 (Really good quality!) and a small Harbor Freight generator (That $100 cheapie) and everything was still there....(sigh) 

Quotes are running $200 or so....Makes me wonder if I shouldn't sleep at the rest area 13 miles away....Instead of the Walmart.....

The new computer (Dell Inspiron 3000 Touch) is pretty nice, but I think I'll still have my mouse connected as I'm so used to it and the mouse pad is still touchy....

Have PDL and Power windows.....Have to wait a couple weeks to get it fixed.....

Now comes a question....Front end needs repair $1K...Drivers door lock cracked...Replace door $125-$200...Busted window $200....Van has leak which carpet is soaked, have even sealed back to thwart the water..No good....I know, I have see 2-4 vans nearby which I could get (15 passenger Savannah/express) and though I "Might" have to put in some repairs, the debate in my head is "Is it worth it?"

Yeah, only I can answer that....

If you can wait a few days before making a decision, I would do that. You may be too emotional right now. Bummer, tho. I feel ya.

Door lock, window...

What is the vehicle?  (and general location)

Many parts are easier to change than they appear.

PatsyG said:
If you can wait a few days before making a decision, I would do that.  You may be too emotional right now.  Bummer, tho.  I feel ya.

Oh yeah, there's no hurry. I have a quote out now...I get paid Friday, but this was just so unexpected....

I have the ability to have the front end done and so that's good.....I'm not mad about the vandalism, just curious as to reason (If any)

Thanks for the reply and advice....Patience and slow pondering will help....

Please describe your van, the area you're in, and the type of area you were parked in.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Please describe your van, the area you're in, and the type of area you were parked in.

1998 Dodge B1500 Vancouver, WA (East edge of Orchards) Walmart parking lot...Far edge, near other van dwellers.

GotSmart said:
Door lock, window...

What is the vehicle?  (and general location)

Many parts are easier to change than they appear.

Oh yeah, I could head over to junkyard, just  a minor rant....

Wanderer said:
Oh yeah, I could head over to junkyard, just  a minor rant....

The front end is a bear.  Have you looked`at Rock Auto?  I saved a bundle with them.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/

Y[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]our RockAuto discount code [/font][font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]3976070736140607 [/font][font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]will expire on [/font][font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]February 28, 2016[/font][font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif].[/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]That code is worth 5%.[/font]

"Van has leak which carpet is soaked" i have we carpet also in passenger side.
I think A/C drain hose is clogged.
" Front end needs repair $1K" sounds about right & you're not alone.
They busted the window while U were asleep ?
Regards - Silver

GotSmart said:
The front end is a bear.  Have you looked`at Rock Auto?  I saved a bundle with them.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/

Y[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]our RockAuto discount code [/font][font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]3976070736140607 [/font][font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]will expire on [/font][font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]February 28, 2016[/font][font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif].[/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]That code is worth 5%.[/font]

Have ordered it...Some videos on YT might help...Wish me luck, will work on it next weekend....

Oh, $85 with shipping included. Thank you very much....Quotes of $200 (As I mentioned) had me slightly on edge.

Silver said:
"Van has leak which carpet is soaked"  i have we carpet also in passenger side.
I think A/C drain hose is clogged.
" Front end needs repair $1K"  sounds about right & you're not alone.
They busted the window while U were asleep ?
Regards - Silver

I take 600-900 mg Gabapentin for sciatic. It has a "Drowse" effect and so...ZZZZZ

I'll quit being "Stand offish and park closer to the "Others" Herd immunity? OH well :p

Wanderer said:
Have ordered it...Some videos on YT might help...Wish me luck, will work on it next weekend....

Oh, $85 with shipping included. Thank you very much....Quotes of $200 (As I mentioned) had me slightly on edge.

Some may wonder "Why not a junkyard?

I already spent 2 hours searching the databases of the local area ones. Some were "Might Fit" and that's not worth the
hassle of finding out at the last moment, that it didn't....

Wanderer said:
1998 Dodge B1500 Vancouver, WA (East edge of Orchards) Walmart parking lot...Far edge, near other van dwellers.

If you go west of the Vancouver Mall, there are a couple of streets that run between the mall and I believe Andresen Rd.  Along those roads are apartments with overflow parking on the streets.  I have parked in that area many times without even a hint of anyone causing any mischief.

It's been a few years since I parked in that area, but since it's close, it may be worth checking out.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
If you go west of the Vancouver Mall, there are a couple of streets that run between the mall and I believe Andresen Rd.  Along those roads are apartments with overflow parking on the streets.  I have parked in that area many times without even a hint of anyone causing any mischief.

It's been a few years since I parked in that area, but since it's close, it may be worth checking out.

I see, Yes, there's some place like that near me, but it's also maybe a good idea now to "Move around" as the drive up to "11 mile" as some call it, is just that and then there's the 11 mile drive back...I spent the night in the theater lot near 164th and Mill Plain. Bummer was kept  waking up every 2 hours or so and looking at the drivers window....Sleeping scared (Or close to it) was never part of this bargain   :-/

Wanderer said:
I see, Yes, there's some place like that near me, but it's also maybe a good idea now to "Move around" as the drive up to "11 mile" as some call it, is just that and then there's the 11 mile drive back...I spent the night in the theater lot near 164th and Mill Plain. Bummer was kept  waking up every 2 hours or so and looking at the drivers window....Sleeping scared (Or close to it) was never part of this bargain   :-/

I've stayed in that same place for weeks at a time, mainly nights only.

Well, 45 minutes later, some thinking, 3 cups of coffee and NO SWEARING...(Stunned? me too!) Good thing I watched some videos on youtube about installing....

Attachments

• 0228160909.jpg
    0228160909.jpg
    58.7 KB
  • 0228160909a.jpg
    0228160909a.jpg
    210.7 KB
Nelda said:
hey, that's the library parking lot.

well, not quite. It's the area nearest to 136th ave but off in the corner and so more in the community center parking than the library....Plus the ALC (Abundant Life Church) member were coming in and I didn't want to be heard cussing (In case I broke the window) while inserting it.

Wanderer said:
Well, 45 minutes later, some thinking, 3 cups of coffee and NO SWEARING...(Stunned? me too!) Good thing I watched some videos on youtube about installing....

Congrats on getting it replaced. It looks like you did a good job.

Latest posts