Cutting a hole for vent in fiberglass top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
I recently bought a van that has a mid-high fiberglass top on it and I want to put in a basic 14x14 vent.

Has anybody tackled this kind of job lately? Any precautions I need to know about?

Mine was done 2 winters ago. I got to watch but learned a whole lot!

Unless you're really brave, do not let anyone put their full body weight on the roof.

Use the outside piece for a template, not the inner trim piece...don't ask... :rolleyes: 

Mark the spot from the inside with the outer piece so you get it where you want it on the inside. Where it is on the outside doesn't matter so much, you're not going to be looking at it from the outside!

Drill the holes from the inside so you have 4 corners to go by.

Then mark the roof with the cutting line lining up the outside piece to the 4 holes.

Tape off  outside of the cut lines so you don't mar the roof.

Use a box bigger than the hole to be cut and tape it to the inside roof to catch all the debris. Remove and/or cover as much as you can inside the van to make clean up easier afterwards. Fiberglass dust is a PITA

You will need to use probably 1 x 2 or better to build a frame around the vent hole on the inside to screw the vent in to and to give you enough depth for the inner trim ring. I had to 'level' the frame and use shims to fill in the gaps. Screwing only to the fiberglass is not recommended.

^

Thanks AT. I poked around some more and found a long thread on the topic. Now I'm shopping for a ladder...

Before you start cutting the fiberglass put talcum powder everywhere on you that you can ...it fills the pores so fibers don't get in . Use a wet rag to clean up the fiberglass then throw it and all those fibers away .
I recently cut my top with a jigsaw .
Fantastic fans are good BUT Max Air has 10 speeds AND you can leave them on like a ceiling fan when they are closed for rain .

slow2day said:
^

Thanks AT. I poked around some more and found a long thread on the topic. Now I'm shopping for a ladder...

What kind, a 6' tall fiberglass step ladder? A link would be great! :D

I would also like a paint bucket holder for a bucket of water when wash waxing my 'sheeting' wax solution, but am now waiting on Adrian Steel to see if the ladder and ladder holder will fit with a 'hinged' middle bulkhead partition door. It looks like it is overlapping the middle section on the Fixed bulkhead middle partition below (?).

https://www.adriansteel.com/item/cargo-vans/1933/ILR#

That would be a wonderful use of dead space behind the passenger seat!