Custom bed mattress

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjffineww

Reaction score
What have you all done for your bed mattress? Any places you can recommend for a mattress? Thanks!

It all depends on what you need for a mattress.  Some can sleep on a camping pad and others (like me) need a deep mattress with plenty of support.  You'll get recommendations in between the two extremes presented here.  I went to a mattress store and bought a double density foam mattress that was 8 inches deep.  The mattress cover was a zip off affair and I cut off 2 inches of width with one of the electric carving knives because the bed in my van is 2 inches narrower than a regular full size mattress.  I then glued a 2 inch memory foam topper to the pad and put the mattress cover back on. Glueing the pad to the mattress is paramount as the pad will shift if not glued.  This is the time of year to buy as the salesmen are trying to meet year end goals and bargains can be had.  Don't be afraid to haggle!

We rent part of our building to a Rent-To-Own outfit. Not a nationwide one, but they do have about 6 stores throughout Kansas. They sell furniture & beds. Some are really cheap, some are real quality. I had the manager come up to my apartment and check out the queen size high dollar mattress I have, then order me something from the mattress factory they buy their beds from. I do them lots of favors so he sold it to me at cost. Normal price if you did the RTO route would be about $500, or buy it outright, about $400. I got it for $200 + tax, a steal, this is one nice mattress. It's called a pillowtop but I think the top part is MF. It's overall about 11" thick, 7.5" special coils springs and about 3.5" of pillowtop.
http://restonic.com/mattresses/ccs-pt

I bought a queen size piece of 1.5" memory foam topper from WalMart earlier this year, I'm going cut down it to size and try on this mattress with/without the MF and see which way I like it best. Since my van isn't ready for the bed yet, I've got it
setup downstairs and will report my decision.

+1 for TheFoamFactory.com. I ordered my matress from them: a custom size and thickness. Their prices are affordable, my mattress appears well-made, and I think its very comfortable.