Curried Black Bean & Butternut Squash Stew

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte's Web

Reaction score
Curried Black Bean & Butternut Squash Stew

This dish uses humble ingredients such as squash and beans---
but with complex flavors, including coconut, curry & other spices.
A stew with a simply magical taste!
(Serves 8 or more)

3–4 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1½ tablespoons curry powder
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon ground ginger
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 cup chopped Roma or plum tomatoes
    14- to 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups freshly cooked black beans
    1 medium butternut squash,
    peeled and diced
    4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, or more as needed
    14-ounce can coconut milk
    2 tablespoons dry sherry
    2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper
    to taste
    Cooked white rice (optional)

1. In a medium-size soup pot, warm olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, ginger, and garlic, and saute them until soft, about 5–8 minutes. Add dried spices and continue stirring 3 or 4 minutes, until spices begin to pop. Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes, until a paste forms.

2. Add black beans, diced butternut squash, and stock. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Add another ½–1 cup stock if the mixture gets dry. Mix in coconut milk, sherry, and rice wine vinegar. Cook for another 10–15 minutes. Add salt and pepper, as needed.

3. Serve hot in big bowls, over rice if you wish.

This is a GREAT recipe. Try it!
  :)  Charlotte

That sounds delicious! I love to make curry and have already packed up the seasoning (though taking a premix this time) and coconut milk. I use sweet potatoes, kale and chickpeas.

yo rockie said:
That sounds delicious!  I love to make curry and have already packed up the seasoning (though taking a premix this time) and coconut milk.  I use sweet potatoes, kale and chickpeas.

So glad to see this recipe has caught on---I make it, or a variation, often.  If you want to add a decadent note,
try toasting some walnuts to add over top as a garnish.

BTW, I am a huge fan of Joseph Campbell.  Have read every one of his books.  Highly recommended. :)

Charlotte

Sounds wonderful, I have a butternut squash just waiting to be turned into a soup now. You are coming to the RTR? We should get together and do some cookin. Just wait until you try my dry curry recipes. Tonight it was roasted curry Brussels sprouts with garlic and onion.