Creek water for bathing question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konaexpress

Reaction score
I would imagine that the vast majority of dwellers get their water from public water but I was wondering how many use creek/river water for bathing? On YouTube is a guy who uses creek water for this and it started me to thinking about it.

A few weeks ago a doctor out of Berkeley gave us some of his findings of a sand and charcoal water filter that he is testing with the biochar that I make. It filters out around 99 percent of contamination that he put into it. So I was wondering if this would be useful to dwellers out there.

John

Konaexpress said:
I would imagine that the vast majority of dwellers get their water from public water but I was wondering how many use creek/river water for bathing? On YouTube is a guy who uses creek water for this and it started me to thinking about it.

A few weeks ago a doctor out of Berkeley gave us some of his findings of a sand and charcoal water filter that he is testing with the biochar that I make. It filters out around 99 percent of contamination that he put into it. So I was wondering if this would be useful to dwellers out there.

John
Google "freshwater human parasites." There are some nasty ones out there that I would not want to get in my mouth or eyes, or even on my skin.

Yea, I know what you mean. This is why I mentioned the diy water filter, there are some nasty things out there in the wild.

John

Konaexpress said:
Yea, I know what you mean. This is why I mentioned the diy water filter, there are some nasty things out there in the wild.

John

Personally, since all I would be doing is fillng a few gallons in the Sun Shower, I would still boil the water. Filter or no filter, I would boil it. Maybe even add a bit of bleach. But then, maybe I am paranoid.

Hmmm parasites , I know about filtering drinking water but ....do you mean like from bathing , swimming or wading in a lake , stream or river?

IMO, if the creek water is clean enough for you to swim in it, then it's clean enough for you to use for a shower. If you wouldn't want to swim in it, then no.

If you're going to drink it, then it needs to be filtered, boiled or chemically treated.

Bleach kills some things but I prefer my Sawyer filter for safety sake.

gcal said:
Personally, since all I would be doing is fillng a few gallons in the Sun Shower, I would still boil the water. Filter or no filter, I would boil it. Maybe even add a bit of bleach. But then, maybe I am paranoid.

I don't think that's paranoid at all, I was just wondering what people think.

John

rvpopeye said:
Hmmm parasites , I know about filtering drinking  water but ....do you mean like from bathing , swimming or wading in a lake , stream or river?

To get water from a creek, river and so on and use it for bathing so you don't use up your drinking water. Use it in your diy shower.

John

since i grew up going down to the spring with 2 5 gallon buckets to get my water.i have no problem with it,but thats oregon coast range 10 feet filtered by moss from where it came out of the ground,in warmer climates i would never drink untreated water,around here i am more worried about what the farms and industry put in the water then parasites after all we have been drinking it from the beginning of time

I see no problem in this.  Plenty of folks in the prepper community use "natural water", as a part of their off-the-grid lifestyle.  Many of us are hung up on the idea that only municipal treated water is "safe" for bathing.  Get past this recently introduced concept, and the world is your bath house.
For those a bit squeamish it is not hard to either DIY a filter system, or use commercially available filter candles to make a cheap version of the excellent Berkey Filter.

I have been considering setting my rig up to use natural water from creeks or ponds, even for drinking, if necessary.

The plan is to fill a five gallon pail, add some chlorine bleach, and then pump it into the storage tank through a 5 micron filter that will remove any nasties not killed by the chlorine.  The water in the tank would be chlorinated while stored.  When used, it would pass through some filters that remove not only the chlorine, but lead, arsenic, pesticides, etc.

I've been using this site as a possible source:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Regards
John

LeeRevell said:
I see no problem in this.  Plenty of folks in the prepper community use "natural water", as a part of their off-the-grid lifestyle.  Many of us are hung up on the idea that only municipal treated water is "safe" for bathing.  Get past this recently introduced concept, and the world is your bath house.
For those a bit squeamish it is not hard to either DIY a filter system, or use commercially available filter candles to make a cheap version of the excellent Berkey Filter.

If you know how to make a diy Berkey filter, I would love to know. I've only heard of them but have never seen one. I hear that are fantastic.

John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I have been considering setting my rig up to use natural water from creeks or ponds, even for drinking, if necessary.

The plan is to fill a five gallon pail, add some chlorine bleach, and then pump it into the storage tank through a 5 micron filter that will remove any nasties not killed by the chlorine.  The water in the tank would be chlorinated while stored.  When used, it would pass through some filters that remove not only the chlorine, but lead, arsenic, pesticides, etc.

I've been using this site as a possible source:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Regards
John

For drinking water in the military, we used reverse osmosis for anything coming from a pond or lake. Be really carful. Thanks for the link!

John

Konaexpress said:
If you know how to make a diy Berkey filter, I would love to know. I've only heard of them but have never seen one. I hear that are fantastic.

John

The prepper site "Frugalsquirrel_dot_com" has lots of good info, including DIY Berkeys.

Well pop use to toss us in with a bar of ivory, no one died.

My grandfather's farm house had a spring that fed an oak barrel outside the kitchen door.  In the summer, we had frogs swimming in the barrel.  Best tasting water I ever had.

Regards
John

ok I am going to play both sides of the fence here. I use creek and spring water all the time. I use it for prospecting, washing dishes, washing myself. when I use it for washing myself or dishes I boil it. I also frequent hot springs, I never put my head under water in hot springs. I would not put my head under water in any warm water source be it a pond, creek, river, or lake. every year you hear about the brain eating amoeba. people have been infected in hot spring that I have been in. it's fairly common in the southern US and hot springs throughout the country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri . highdesertranger

for a solar shower to pasteurize water it has to get it to 150 F.