crazy looking homebuilt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Psunami,<br><br>Does your slide in-out?&nbsp; Is it custom made?&nbsp; The exterior is very attractive and I'll bet draws questions-looks from others.&nbsp; What is the scrolled woodwork piece across the front--is it native --have some meaning or is it merely ornamental?<br><br>

<P>I tore apart an old slide in that an owner simply wanted out of his yard, and got a lot of parts off of, including hydraulic jacks on poles that were mounted on the four corners, which i was actually just outside beginning to mount them so i can jack it up and drive out from under it. It is mounted to the bed rails with bolts, so the bed of the truck acts as the bottom half, saving weight over a true slide in, but i have built a base the same size as my truck bed to set it on so it will remain enclosed and out of the weather while off the truck, and i can use it for storage or bike shed while not using...not too much or it'll be full when i want&nbsp;to use it again. Basically just a shell inside, i don't need a lot of permanantly mounted sinks or stoves, etc. I'd rather be easily able to modify the inside to suit my particular need. I'm in construction so i actually bought less than 100$ in materials for it. It is wood frame with 1/2 in plywood. I cut 2x6's in half to make 2x3's and used them for the frame since i happened to have a bunch already. its very strong. The exterior is simply very thin aluminum, coil stock used in vinyl siding. It comes in 50ft. rolls x 2ft. wide that i can custom bend with my break( i do a lot of vinyl siding installations, so i had a bunch of that too.) So the exterior is completely covered and waterproof. I do love the gabled roof... it gives me so much more headroom, makes the whole interior feel a lot more spacious, and prevents leaks. The hieght is just under 11ft. It does draw a lot of attention though, my neihbor does the carvings decorating the camper, and he just came over with them the day before i left and offered them so i said go ahead and put them on. He studies a lot of different religions and social groups and a lot of his work is influenced by that, i'm sure.</P>

The awning in the back is sweet. You can chill on the tailgate during a rainstorm without ever getting wet! I love the tiki faces you've got all over it too!<div><br></div><div><br></div>

<P>thanks...it is very back porch like...plus when youre caught in the rain you have a place to dry off, clean your feet before you go in. I thought about making it smaller, but i'm glad i didn't. Its a full 4 feet past the tailgate. Above the back door are 2 gable windows bringing in a lot of light, but always shaded so it makes it feel really open and airy inside. And when your in the loft bed you can see out so just back it up to the most scenic spot you can find and the view from bed when you awake is nice to wake up to.</P>

<P>i was going to make the walls go strait up, but when i measured i found that the king size matress that i had for it wasn't going to fit, so i figured, why not just slant the walls out a bit to give me a bit more width at the top so it would fit, and it turned out great. even helps to keep water dripping off instead of running down the side...and i think it looks kinda cool too!</P>

<P>i also saw this one in the Gila national forest...mogollon, N.M. It looks to have a chimney for a wood burning stove i'm guessing.</P>

<font size="3"><font face="Georgia">Those. Are. Amazing. </font></font><br>

<P>Surprised I missed this thread! Those look great. Really curious about that first one. It looks very industrial. I'm assuming that giant pole is for a wind turbine?</P>

Arathi said:
<p>I'm assuming that giant pole is for a wind turbine?</p>
<div><br></div><div>Are you talking about the chimney?</div>