covid-19 (new corona virus)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
licorice....I don't have to worry about the side effects, I hate the flavor of it and aniseed.

I like twizzlers red and black. Anything else you can have because it don't taste right. I eat it all the time and am rarely without any.

I think I must have caught corona virus. I did sneeze today.

They cancelled the huge SXSW (South by Southwest) event in Austin Texas.

This is a huge impact for musicians, film makers, vendors, venues, and the public.

25% of the SXSW attendees are from other countries. 

Ooops. Not so funny anymore, huh?

Yesterday's news....at the CPAC an attendee at some of the events has been confirmed to have covid19. An individual who spent time with that person then later on personally shook hands with President Trump. That event might scare the bejesus (an Irish expression) out of him and other politicians and I hope it does, because perhaps there will be more funding available to get the vaccine produced ASAP and to get it widely distributed ASAP.

If you want to inject some humor it I expect that there will be no more of the "glad-hand" to get votes from people who show up for rallies. Long standing traditions of physical contact for greeting people might well change because of this pandemic. But will they adopt a modified version of the tradition non contact bow used by Japanese? Seems unlikely that will happen with Americans but from watching whatVice President and the Govenor of WA state did to greet each the other day they have already changed the fist bump into an elbow bump. I expect that means the fist bump is soon to be history along with the hand shake. For sure the French might well finally quit greeting each other with a kiss on each cheek of the face.

If they do end up creating a vaccine to treat this....Then all these years they could of created a vaccine to treat the common cold and the flu and just haven't because they've looked at us as their cash cows.

Recently had a confirmed case in my hometown. People are freaking out! The man is in critical condition in the local hospital and there are 3 people under home quarantine who had contact with him. He's been severely sick for the last several weeks. Glad he had enough sense to stay home when he first go sick or this could of been much worse.

The local hockey teams are still playing games but they have excluded audiences from the venues. So its just the players playing and fans can watch the game through live stream.

Me? I hate getting sick and don't plan on it now if it's avoidable. I had to go into town today and stock up on supplies and soaked my hands in alcohol before and after each stop. I didn't touch my face in between doing so.

Problem is this. Everything I brought into the van was already touched by another human. It's just not feasible to wipe down every single item. Not for me at least. I'm just going to continue to avoid crowds, keep the hands clean and hope for the best. 

Think about this if you would. I'm near I-10. Almost all the people who buy gas here are going to or came from another area. That I can control by not touching my face while or after pumping gas, until I can clean my hands. I'll try to keep the odds in my favor

For those who want to do some reduction of exposure..... there are some pretty easy ways to reduce exposure if you are a nomad.

I have a box of disposable vinyl gloves I use when doing fiberglass, painting, greasy stuff to wear for projects where washing them is not sensible. Those work just fine for using at a gas station including if you have to go inside to pay. Toss the gloves into their trash can instead of taking them with you into your own vehicle.

You can also do this same thing in the grocery store with the gloves, there is often a trash can outside the store. Try to go to grocery stores with a self checkout aisle and use your own stylus on the screen. Then use a small pad of alcohol on the tip if you are truly worried. Choose the products at the back of the shelf instead of the boxes or tins in the front. If they have been touched it will hopefully and also sometimes likely be enough days that the virus may no longer be viable. Take along your own folding, rolling cart instead of using the one at the store. You can use sanitary wipes or alcohol dampened paper towels to clean plastic bottles you buy, plastic packages, on cans and on cardboard boxes. It does not matter that much if the ink on the paper gets a bit wet, remember it will dry quickly. Yes you can have your beer, aluminum cans are easy to clean. You can wear those disposable gloves to do the sanitizing step if you want to but the wipes are going to have sanitizer on them so that will keep your fingers sanitized as well.

And always, when you to go into any public space, when possible, choose the hours when the smallest number of people are likely to be there. Do not go at prime time such as lunch hour and at evening rush hours. Some stores are open 24 hours such as Walmart. If you stay there it is easy to shop at hours when there is no crowd around and the staffing is also minimal. The restrooms are also likely to have been cleaned before morning.

You biggest issue will be not the boxes and cans but the produce you don't cook such as lettuce and other produce a customer might have picked up to check for ripeness and quality. You might want to avoid those even in a cafe. The CDC says it is best when choosing fresh produce to stick to cooked veggies that reach a high enough temperature during the cooking time to kill a virus. The CDC has information published on their website regarding what type of produce to avoid and what are the best choices and what that temperature you need to achieve in cooking the vegetables. Remember you can cook fruits as well. Of course you do lose some of the nutritive values so take your vitamins in supplement form.

Remember they already have a vaccine for Covid 19 that is now in the testing stage. Plus several more versions of vaccine in the development stage. Hopefully there will be a vaccine available before or at least early in 2021.

On the news this evening is that many large corporations are stepping up to help find the fight to get this virus contained and to help offset some of the cost for providing health care workers, supplies, housing for people doing quarantine, etc. So are the cities, counties and states. Some real "crowd funding" of large dollar amounts is happening.

This virus was first announced by China in December. There were no travel limits set until late February. Since over 80% of those who contract(ed) it have "mild symptoms" and since people were not going for medical care for those mild symptoms nor were they tested for Covid-19, I think it is very possible it has been around for a while and nobody knew that's what it was. Even more severe symptoms may well have been attributed to the flu. If everybody who had a fever, cough and upper respiratory symptoms were tested between December and February, I wonder how many would be this new virus. How many of you have had a "cold" or the "flu" this winter? Are you sure that's what it was? Did you stay home, self isolate? Even now, if you had the sniffles, you would most likely just ignore it and go about your business.

Stay calm, folks. The steps to stay healthy are not new. At least now maybe people will really wash their hands like they should have been doing all along and STAY HOME if you are sick!

It is also possible, maybe even probable, that this panic will result in a backlash of public outrage. I was at Walmart last week and noticed a woman sniffling and blowing her nose in the produce dept. I actually thought, "Stay away from her" and "she shouldn't be here" and one thought led to another and I wondered if anybody would make a fuss. Maybe it was just allergies? I thought OMG, if I cough will there be a riot? I am just waiting for the first announced lawsuit against someone who went out in public and spread some disease. Do you see where this can lead? It isn't the virus that is scary, it is the potential for societal response. There will be laws passed, you just wait and see.

People. No wonder I avoid them as much as possible, lol!

When I started this thread they had not yet named this flu, covid-19...I wonder if a moderator might be willing to update the thread title that shows up on the forum?

Remove '2019 nCoV' (which is still accurate but not the popular name) and replace that with 'covid-19'

For now, death rates seem to be higher for us 'older folk', and those with other diseases or conditions.

I think I will mostly stay home....for the next year or so!

Luckily I have you guys to talk to!

:p

Rather than shopping for groceries at the supermarket I place my order online and pick it up outside. The attendant puts it in my trunk and I never even get out of the car. The virus can live on a surface for only a few hours so I only touch the items after a couple days.

abnorm said:
""...…………..The virus can live on a surface for only a few hours …….""  WRONG
Usually 2 to 3 dars for a virus, but this one lasts 9 days on surfaces according to media reports. Lysol wipes are your friend.

You can make your own with a coffee can, paper towels, and some lysol dumped over. Put the lid on, shake, and you have wipes.
-crofter

Hey! If everybody is staying home or avoiding public spaces, now may be a good time to go shopping! No traffic, great parking, no crowds, no lines! Or lots of boondocking parking spots available. Hmmm...

From what I have read, the tests that have been done on how long a virus lives on surfaces have not been reported on Covid-19. They are reporting on the SARS and MERS, the viruses most like Covid-19. Haven't been able to find one that is actually on this virus. Anyone? Just out of curiosity...

Well it was just a mater of time.
After returning from a trip home (S. Korea) a local packing house worker (major employer here) was sent home to self quarantine.
I never would have thought sick people would work in the food industry.
Enjoy your turkey sandwich

Beware of Pahrumpians.

Evidently they don't normally use everyday household cleaning supplies. That area of shelving at Walmart had just a few random items, when I was there today.

Another observation is about bottled water. There was no stock of Great Value branded, distilled, drinking, or spring water. Not much of the other brands, either. There was a lot of Dannon water on hand, that apparently no one wants, even in a panic.

Watching Q&A with WHO (World Health Organization). They are finally advising the elderly to stop gathering for card games. The mortality rate age 60 to 80 of 21.9% was given for this virus.  Also restated the 9 day covid virus survival on surfaces, and stated that was advice from the NIH. 

Another suggestion given was to clean cell phones frequently with alcohol wipes. I always pick up my phone again after sanitizing my hands.   -crofter