covid-19 (new corona virus)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And prisoners here in the US are getting released to the wild from a closed environment. Smart?

Prisons are not set up for social distancing, so if a guard or visitor has brought in the virus, it will spread internally due to close proximity of inmates.

And it would be contained there instead of the already maybe infected released to mix with the rest of us and they were not in there because they were nice people.

B and C said:
And it would be contained there....
Another irony, Texas threatens jail time (exposing them to the virus?) for anyone violating the TX order to stay home. 
-crofter

The free citizens are being threatened with jailtime and the crooks are being let go...lol.

It's amazing....

They are attempting to kill an economy and a way of life, just to try to kill a virus. 

arrrgh....

tx2sturgis said:
It's amazing....

They are attempting to kill an economy and a way of life, just to try to kill a virus. 

arrrgh....
The only place they are trying to kill the virus is in the laboratories. What they are trying to do is keep people from killing each other.

maki, my point of course, is that almost the entire US economy is hurting...and hundreds of industries and thousands of businesses are gonna have a lot of trouble recovering. (Trucking and related logistics seems to be doing well because its actually necessary and critical to the American way of life)

Meanwhile, about 80-90% of people recover from this disease, depending of course, on their age and general overall health.

That is only between 32,700,000 and 63,400,000 but that’s not right only 4% die and in some countries it is as slow as 1%. My guess in the US it will be between 4 and 5% given the overall health of the country so that is only 16,350,000 give or take a dozen but who’s counting. However only around 70% will catch it so that lowers the death toll by 30% which brings it down to around 12 million give or take.

Ok, those numbers quoted assume that ALL Americans will get the virus...if that is true, then all the precautions have made no difference, and the trashed economy really has been done for no reason...which was my point. We should have just conducted all business as usual if all Americans will get sick no matter what we do... 

Of course, all the precautions being taken DO assume that we can reduce the numbers of people getting sick and dying....I sure hope so.

The precautions being taken are not solely to prevent people from getting the virus although that would be ideal, but it's meant to slow the spread so more people can be treated. If everyone were to get it at once, it would totally overwhelm the healthcare system and doctors would be forced to decide who gets treatment and who doesn't. It may come to that anyway in some areas.

If an otherwise healthy 40 year old shows up for treatment with an older patient with underlying health problems, the younger healthier patient would get the ventilator and the other wouldn't and would be left to die. This isn't my opinion. I'm 65 and don't want to be the guy left to die. I doubt anyone wants to be that guy

Don't forget the other deaths that will be caused by lack of treatment due to overloading hospitals and health professionals. Doctors are already requesting relief of malpractice liability from lawmakers in this over stressed environment we are beginning to experience. There are lots of things that can kill you if not treated.

Back in the 1980's I red a article about One World Government, 
A part that stuck in my mind was the statement for a one world government to work over 60% of the free thinking people on earth (USA, CANADA, FRANCE, ETC.) had to be eliminated. Easier to control the masses.   Just a thought.

tx2sturgis said:
Ok, those numbers quoted assume that ALL Americans will get the virus...if that is true, then all the precautions have made no difference, and the trashed economy really has been done for no reason...which was my point. We should have just conducted all business as usual if all Americans will get sick no matter what we do... 

Of course, all the precautions being taken DO assume that we can reduce the numbers of people getting sick and dying....I sure hope so.

I wonder why you think that roughly 12 million deaths within the space of a few months would leave the American economy pretty much unscathed.

My take is different. Since the economy will take a noticeable hit no matter what we do, best we do what we can to control the spread and prevent 12 million deaths. Maybe hold it down to a million or so.

I don’t understand, either, why reopening the economy to let the virus run rampant, overwhelm our health care system and kill millions of people becomes an acceptable level of risk.

What if you yourself got sick or injured and could not get into an urgent care facility or the emergency room at a hospital or even a doctor's office to get essential treatments because they are overwhelmed with people who have Covid 19?

I am responding here to a couple of posts from the covid information thread, because I wish to keep that one an information thread, and not a discussion thread.

First I vectored off the link that rvwandering supplied to this one.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html
https://www.fema.gov/coronavirus-rumor-control

The 1st link has this statement: "If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask)", etc.

Secondly crofter posted this link, where Dr Lipkin does recommend wearing masks.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/vid...at-coronavirus-1652451-2020-03-04?jwsource=cl

So, as a senior, if I do have to go out, my preferred method is to wear both gloves and mask (although all I have are simple paint masks). Dr Lipkin mentions how people touch their own faces 100s of times a day, so despite what the CDC page says, I figure that wearing a mask will help protect me from inadvertently touching my face after touching surfaces with the gloves.

Just an opinion, YMMV. Feel free to comment here.