Covering Car Windows When Parked

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the black spray paint too. Then wished I had just got black felt and stapled around the edges or maybe spray glued on. Believe I will do that anyway on one piece and see which works best.

Remember that any felt or cloth will fade over time.

Some people in vans use magnets to hold the window covers.  Some RVs have shades.   In a car you could use velcro for attachment.

Gypsy said:
Hey! I live in a honda fit so just went through this myself... after researching (extensively!!!) all the various options, I went with reflectix. I've been living out of my car for a month and a half now and couldn't be happier with my choice :) Definitely would recommend!! I just wrote a whole blog post about how I made my window shades too if you want to check it out: http://journeyingbeyond.net/car-dwelling-reflectix-window-shades/

Good luck and have fun!!
Hi Gypsy,

Just checked out your post and it sounds like the answer I'm looking for. Appreciate all your research. I am preparing for my Honda CRV full time dwelling adventure now and how to cover windows was one of the big items to figure out. Tried curtains on one short trip and they were definitely inadequate. So, reflectix it will be. Did you paint the outside of yours black? That sounds like it might be a good idea too. Thanks so much for your posts.

:)
Ah to the road!

WheelEstate USA said:
Black foam board from Walmart works well. It sorta "disappears" at night.

Thanks for the idea.  I have this from asome art projects and was going to toss it, but now I will put it to good use.  How would you attach it?

I got flat black vinyl spray at the auto store and sprayed one side of the reflectix for nighttime. A friend who has van camped for 9 years advised me. I like it because now the panels roll up real nice for storage.

The first set of window covers I made were out of reflectix. I have tinted windows but they still showed through pretty easily. I then sprayed the side facing out with a matt black spay paint. It worked perfectly but off gassed for a while and I didn't like smelling the paint fumes for so long. I think reflectix is the way to go but maybe gluing a piece of black fabric to it would have been better. With tinted windows it is almost impossible to tell if there is anything in the windows.

For the windshield it is not at all uncommon to see a window shade up there.

If you are painting it black, no point in starting with reflective anything.

Just use either fabric or that stiff plastic signboard coroplast? to start with

Latest posts