Cot-size Bed Too Small?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
After sleeping in a queen-size bed for many years, I have just downsized to a twin-size.  A twin is 39" wide.

A twin is big enough. I am a side-sleeper and I can turn from one side to the other without running out of room.

However, I would like to sleep on a cot-size bed (30" wide) when I move into a minivan. But you have to lift up your hips and slide a bit to turn from one side to the other on a cot or else you'll fall off.

So for those of you who sleep on a bed narrower then a twin and who turn in your sleep, how does that work out for you? When you turn over does it wake you up? Or does your body eventually become accustomed to turning over without waking up?

I sleep on a cot and I sleep on my side. I have adjusted to it. my biggest problem is my dog sleeps with me. if he lays on my sleeping bag sometimes it pins me down. then I have to wake up to turn, but I have adjusted it's really not a problem. here's a tip, get a foam pad for the cot, it makes it super comfy and insulates against the cold. highdesertranger

When I lived out of a Suzuki SX4, the platform I built (from the front dash to the back hatch to serve as a bed) was 22" wide at its widest point. I turned over in place. My head would brush the ceiling when I turned. I kept that up for several months.

It's doable.

I slept on a cot for a few weeks last September for a few weeks. I turned in place without waking, as I do in any size bed. Just my habit, I guess. The van has a full size bed in it, I still find myself sleeping on only a small portion near the edge and am quite comfy. :)

Maybe put something down the side of the twin sized bed you have, like sleeping bags, pillows, rolled up blankets, and see how you do with the space. :D

Theadyn said:
The van has a full size bed in it, I still find myself sleeping on only a small portion near the edge and am quite comfy.  :)  

Dang, what'cha gonna do with all that space in your new RV?

Not much experience with cots, but a Twin is definitely plenty.

This is my home away from home (on the left)....beats the sleep on the fancy queen bed at home, hands down. 30" wide and plenty of space.
truck small 5.jpg

Attachments

• truck small 5.jpg
    truck small 5.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 43
I sleep on a queen size at home, but the beds in my cargo trailer are only 24'' wide. I'm 6' tall and 230 lbs. it's a little narrow, but comfortable for me. I toss and turn a lot but usually because my shoulders or something hurts so I'm already slightly awake when I turn over. It does require I lift my hips up to turn, but I've never rolled off. .

I've slept on queen size and full size for most of my life.  But in my first van I had a 30" aluminum frame cot and a 4" foam mattress on it.  I slept sound but had to "fetal" a bit  as the top of my head was right up against one side of the Van and my feet up against the other side.

I'm a side sleeper also and it never bothered me to change sides.  But i favor sleeping on mt left side.

I sleep mainly on my sides but also occasionally on my stomach when both my sides are too painful. My current van bed is 24" wide. I generally half-wake up to turn over. I found the size adjustment after sleeping on a twin wasn't that difficult, I was pleasantly surprised.

I typically only feel it's too small when my boyfriend sleeps over.

I move a lot in my sleep and sleep on a cot so I like a sleeping bag that has nylon inside and wear silk clothing to sleep in so moving in my sleep is not a struggle. Flannel sleeping bag and flannel clothing is like being stuck on Velcro, I wakeup with a sore back!

TMG51 said:
Dang, what'cha gonna do with all that space in your new RV?

Probably the same, sleep on a small portion of it, haha. :D

I'm seeing that many of you kind of wake up to turn over in place, that you've become accustomed to it and that its not a problem for you. I wonder if it hurts the quality of sleep? I'm thinking not because whenever somebody turns over they're not in deep sleep. The extra wakefulness required to scoot shouldn't make a difference unless that causes you to have trouble falling back to sleep.

I sleep on a Queen and have had a Queen for as long as I can remember. So with planning my RV build, I've been paying attention to how much space I really need to be comfortable.

Turns out that regardless of my position, my feet don't seem to really vary much, which has my planning an irregular shaped mattress where the bottom tapers to 20-24 inches. I've also found that while I don't utilize the full Queen width, I do want a minimum of 48" for the first 4' of the mattress before taper starts. And really the primary reason for this is that I read anywhere between 1-4 hours a day and my preferred position is laying in bed. Having a Kindle makes 1-handed reading while laying on my side very comfortable, no page turning :)

When I visit my parents I sleep on a 30" bed and don't like it...and neither does my Kindle. When I nod off, Kindle often falls to the floor...