Converting a 1986 G30 Van for Expeditioning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
what color smoke?  white or black?  does it smell like fuel?  highdesertranger

Well I have a little of black smoke as it accelerate, the filter is clan but those things were emission exempt when new so that I expect.   As it goes on high altitude (above 5,000 FT) then you get white smoke,  the higher up the more dense it get.  To the point that I was in  or near the grand canyon and it look like I was fumigating the area and some tree hugger were flipping the bird.  Fuel mileage went terrible. No diesel smell, but it did smell bad.   Once I come down the smoke is less and less.    Like I said I replace all the injectors,  all rubber fuel lines and installed Racor Filter you suggested and I change the air filter often.   The oild turn dark real fast, but I heard that is common on those older Detroit diesel.  When in Texas it run fairly well with the ocasional darker smoke but only during acceleration and under load.

the oil turning dark is normal for all diesels. you didn't say if your injection pump has been rebuilt. it sounds as if it's running rich at altitude which is normal. you could turn the fuel down a little. but I wouldn't unless you know for sure. put a EGT gauge and see what the Exhaust Gas Temperature is. you need this gauge on all the time so you can monitor the temp under all conditions. then you can try to lean it out at altitude don't let the EGT to go over 1200 under a load. 900 is much better. also adding a turbo would help. do you know how to adjust your fuel delivery? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the oil turning dark is normal for all diesels.  you didn't say if your injection pump has been rebuilt.  it sounds as if it's running rich at altitude which is normal.  you could turn the fuel down a little.  but I wouldn't unless you know for sure.  put a EGT gauge and see what the Exhaust Gas Temperature is.  you need this gauge on all the time so you can monitor the temp under all conditions.  then you can try to lean it out at altitude don't let the EGT to go over 1200 under a load.  900 is much better.  also adding a turbo would help.  do you know how to adjust your fuel delivery?  highdesertranger

I will look for that gauge,  is it easy to install.  I don't know where to adjust.  I worked on those engines while in the service but they came with either high altitude or regular injector pump.  I believe there is a screw in the pump, am I right on that?  Thanks

arctic cat said:
So the plan now is to actually sleep inside the van and carry a trailer to place the motorcycle with the idea of parking the pank and use it as a base and the use the motorcycle to get around.  In order to do that I have to make a space for bed.  Well after some planning a bed it is.  I have to eliminate one small rack and rearrange some cabinets and this is the final work.
Looks very cozy. Is the shelf where the hot pan holder glove is where you will set your stove for cooking?

Ballenxj said:
Looks very cozy. Is the shelf where the hot pan holder glove is where you will set your stove for cooking?

actually the other side.  I have a Coleman propane Stove but very seldomly used it.   I have a single burner Coleman white fuel stove and that is my favorite as I seldomly like to cook inside because of the animal.

Great progress on your G30 Hi-Cube !! I also have a 1986 Hi-Cube that I recently started a conversion on. Truck didnt run for 8 years, and with a little wrenching, fluids and a light overhaul,  got it to glow and run like it was new. 
I have been scouring the internet looking for replacement rubber door seals roof vent housings and misc parts for this rig. Have you had any luck finding a good site that can supply parts for the Hi-Cube?

Pretty neat seeing some of these old box trucks getting back on the road!

Thanks,
 Travis

travisolsen said:
Great progress on your G30 Hi-Cube !! I also have a 1986 Hi-Cube that I recently started a conversion on. Truck didnt run for 8 years, and with a little wrenching, fluids and a light overhaul,  got it to glow and run like it was new. 
I have been scouring the internet looking for replacement rubber door seals roof vent housings and misc parts for this rig. Have you had any luck finding a good site that can supply parts for the Hi-Cube?

Pretty neat seeing some of these old box trucks getting back on the road!

Thanks,
 Travis

Thanks, The vents can be found at here, perfect match.

The rubber for the rear door I just went to Lowes and used actual rubber seal for house door and windows.  for the front door go to here

arctic cat said:
Thanks, The vents can be found at here, perfect match.

The rubber for the rear door I just went to Lowes and used actual rubber seal for house door and windows.  for the front door go to here

Ed... YOU ARE THE KING!!! Thank you for the links. 
Any ideas of where to get the rubber bumpers that hold the back doors open? Also, any thoughts on the front dash ? Mine is in pretty rough shape and peeling. Thinking about re coating it with some product like line-x or a vinyl spray. 

By the way. This is what I am working with. Bottom - Blue is my rig. Top red is my good friends =)

Attachments

• 456836399424356792-account_id=0.jpg
    456836399424356792-account_id=0.jpg
    924.6 KB · Views: 23
Hello, 
I recently purchased a 1988 Chevy HI cube. My dream for this van is to turn it into a camper, specificity for surf trips. Since I have boughten it I have paid to have the steering column fixed and replaced the battery. I am I female 19 year old college student with lots of ambition but no prior car knowledge. I am trying to restore this van as much on my own as I can, but I could use a lot of help. Any recommendations of parts I should Check and replace and any information for assistance in how to replair and replace parts for this vehicle would be a life saver!! Also I’m looking for books you recommend as well, repair Manuals or such. I also really want to remove the original driver side and passenger side seats and replace them with captain chairs, any tips for removing the seats?
Thank you!! 
Megan

Does your college offer any mechanics/shop/welding classes? Might be a vocational school that offers evening classes.